X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• installing new furnace

I want to install a new, high efficiency furnace in our old house, 100 year old victorian. How do I figure out how many BTU it should be? Currently the air doesn't blow much on the second floor, is there different fan ratings I should look for? I plan on installing it myself as am cheap and am also very mechanically inclined. Work as a general contractor and we do it all. I have some experience with ductwork so that aspect is no big deal. Very good with wiring so that aspect isn't and issue and have experience with gas lines. I guess the only real question would be running the PVC piping for the intake and exhaust, and any tips to remember that I may over look. We live in upstate new york and so it gets pretty cold and need a quality furnace to keep us warm. Any brand that is better than others and any that I should definetly not buy. Thank you in advance to any assistance given.

Re: installing new furnace

A heat load calculation will tell you the required BTU's. Typically a 2-story house will and should have a unit for each floor. This is the best way to do this. I always say shop installer, not brand but since you're the installer go with trane. Stay away from goodman and janitrol. The variable speed fans are great but tend to coverup shoddy duct calculation and construction. 3 speed should do you just fine. As far as any tips to help you with-to broad of a question and I don't know your skill level. Best of luck.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Go with Gears recommendation and buy a Trane if you can afford it. Variable speed fans are nice but can be pricey when it comes time for a replacement.

This is a good time to have your ducts cleaned and checked for leaks.

Originally posted by ldk View Post
      I guess the only real question would be running the PVC piping for the intake and exhaust, and any tips to remember that I may over look.
      Do NOT turn on furnace immediately after gluing up the PVC intake and exhaust piping. Wait at least an hour afterwards.

I learned that PVC glue vapors can ignite and scare the crap of of me.

Read the installation manual carefully concerning sizing, distances, grading and exhaust terminations. There's more to it than just throwing a piece of PVC through a hole in the wall.

I like to use concentric vent kits.

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply.

Like Gearjunkie said 1 for each floor is the best setup....even zoned systesm just cant seem to make people happy on top and bottom floor...and cost of zoned just makes 2 systems seem resonable.

Down here in Florida we do a lot of ac coils above gas furnaces....I have started to warm up to Goodman lately...the brand gets slaped around for low price but they have in my view realy come along in quality that AIR conditioned I DO NOT know anything about their furnaces.....I have a hang up aginst Trane ONLY because I did a lot of installs with their 19i (2 compressor) 450 pound pig of a condensor....and draging them around to the back of a house always torqued me off..great quality....just freaking huge and heavy Company I work for now installs Maytag..12yr parts AND Labor warrenty...worth checking out.

Plumers Crack....when I first seen someone installing a furnace with PVC flu pipe I thought they lost their mind.....my little brain could not accept gas furnace exaust and PVC pipe....just pictured melted puddle on the unit first time it was used....still can not get use to seeing it....just seems soooooooo wrong.

Comment

Good luck finding someone who will sell you a furnace other than a Goodman. Do yourself a favor and at least find a furnace guy to install it for you on the side. At least then it should be half-way right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            Good luck finding someone who will sell you a furnace other than a Goodman. Do yourself a favor and at least find a furnace guy to install it for you on the side. At least then it should be half-way right.
            Yah, what he said But seriously though, call in a pro, this isn't a job for a DIYer or handyman.
            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

I am not trying to be critical, but if you are a general contractor who "does it all" you should already know the answer to your question or at the very least have some subs you trust. If you dont trust them on your own residence, why would you use them for your contract work???

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                If you dont trust them on your own residence, why would you use them for your contract work???
                Now that is the million dollar question.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Thanks to all for the feedback. Will take all under consideration.

Comment

Working...
                  X