X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just did chimney reline, need professional advice

Just did the chimney reline for my pellet stove. There are two pipes, one for exhaust and one for fresh air. The one close to you with a separated cap is for fresh air, a 3" alimiumn pipe. The one for exhaust is 3" stainless steel pipe specially for pellet stove. I need your professional advice to see is there anything was done wrongly. http://www.flickr.com/photos/lmei007

thanks

Re: Just did chimney reline, need professional advice

The squirrel hood looks to have a gap at the end that may allow critters and birds to get in still.

The fresh air intake is probably too close to the chimney exhaust for your boiler.

That stainles steel is pricey stuff huh?

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
      The squirrel hood looks to have a gap at the end that may allow critters and birds to get in still.
      that is not big enough. there are three flues but the cap is for two flues chimney I think. I just don't want to do more if it is ok to leave it as is. But I will put something to keep birds go in.

The fresh air intake is probably too close to the chimney exhaust for your boiler.
      This installation instruction says 12" is enough. Maybe I should extend up more.

That stainles steel is pricey stuff huh?
      With the plate and cap, 3" x 20' is $310 online. If in stove store, 3"x 25' is $420.

Comment

It looks good IMO and looks like it should work well for a corn/pellet stove set up, you could have a little more separation, but I doubt you will have any trouble, if the wind was in jsut the right direction and it blew back on the fresh air intake it is a small possibility that it could compromise the amount of fresh air it was drawing in, but I think it would be very rare, if at all. and since it is fan forced, I really don't think you would have any problems.

The other thing you may want to do is stuff some fiberglass insulation in the masonry chimney and plug it so heated air from inside the house will not draw out, since the damper is not a working damper any more.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I would try to fine a better way to secure your vent. Perhaps a bracket from just under the cap back to the cover over the chimney.

Mark
          "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

I'M not a pro but IMO I would use an approved cover to cover the fresh air intake. When the wind blows "wicked hard" during a "wicked rain" as it does in Boston that rain will shoot almost sideways. If any rain enters the fresh air intake it will go right down the liner and end up in your $3000 stove.
            Dont forget to check the exhaust pipe often for fly ash build up.
            Mine just goes straight out the wall and I get a fair amount of build up about every 4 tons. I would think in your situation it would build up even faster due to such a long run.
            INSIGHT PIPE is now Maine Drain Serving most of ME with no charge for travel! 207-431-6232 is nolonger a working # our NEW # is 207-355-1476
            Sewer main snaking (roto rooting). Sink clogs. Sewer backup. Pipe inspection/locating. No Dig trenchless repair. Root clog removal.We are NOT to replace your local Plumber, as we do not do plumbing. WE ARE YOUR DRAIN CLEANING EXPERTS!!! www.sewermaine.com waterville winslow bangor augusta skowhegan fairfield pittsfield oakland

Comment

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              I'M not a pro but IMO I would use an approved cover to cover the fresh air intake. When the wind blows "wicked hard" during a "wicked rain" as it does in Boston that rain will shoot almost sideways. If any rain enters the fresh air intake it will go right down the liner and end up in your $3000 stove.
              Yes, you are right and I am thinking to make it face down to avoid that.

Originally posted by Gene Bickford View Post
              Dont forget to check the exhaust pipe often for fly ash build up.
              Mine just goes straight out the wall and I get a fair amount of build up about every 4 tons. I would think in your situation it would build up even faster due to such a long run.
              I don't know this and I will keep in mind to do that.

Comment

Working...
              X