Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fireplace metal block off plate seal/insulation and steel pipe questions

Hi there,
    I am in the process to make a metal block off plate for my fireplace (see the photos attached please). There are two holes for the pellet stove exhaust pipe and air intake pipe. My question is what kind of insulation material i can use to seal those two holes? I bought a bag of fireglass (see the photo please) in Homedepot plumbing department but I am wondering if it is ok to be used here because the temperature here will be very high at least for the exhaust pipe.
    I plan to use stove gasket kit to seal the plate with the fireplace: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=67093-85334-GA1086&lpage=none
    Another question is how can I cut the stainless steel pipe? Is this one (http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId;=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100147753&N=10000003+9 0039&marketID=39&locStoreNum=2674) good enough for this purpose? or can I use small metal saw to cut it?
    No experience, please point me to the right direction.
    thanks,
    Attached Files

Re: fireplace metal block off plate seal/insulation and steel pipe questions

Draw 2 circles on your sheetmetal. 1 will be the O.D. of the pipe. The second will be 1 inch smaller in diameter, centered inside the first. Cut the smaller circle completely out. Now make cuts every half-inch from your smaller opening out to the outside line. This will give you tabs that you can bend out which will seal the pipe alot better than what you have. If you are still worried about the little bit of air leakage you can use some high temp silicone to seal it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
      Draw 2 circles on your sheetmetal. 1 will be the O.D. of the pipe. The second will be 1 inch smaller in diameter, centered inside the first. Cut the smaller circle completely out. Now make cuts every half-inch from your smaller opening out to the outside line. This will give you tabs that you can bend out which will seal the pipe alot better than what you have. If you are still worried about the little bit of air leakage you can use some high temp silicone to seal it up.
      good idea. But I have done them already. Next time ...

Comment

you could cut a "collar" and slip over the pipe and then use screws to fasten it to the sheet steel backing, or even make a split collar and then attach it to the base sheet backing,
        _________
        |........___|
        |....../
        |.....|
        |......\____
        |________|

or
        |.....\____/.....|
        |____________|

the "." are jsut to keep the spacing for the picture,

on the second one you could use the tab method. as described above, or cut it close and use the silicon as suggested,

the home depot link did not work for me, so I have no idea what tool your looking at,

I would probably depending on gage of of the tube, jsut use a right and a left hand set of aviation snips to cut it with,

knock a slot in it ( on normal tin I do this with a properly shaped screw driver, place it on the tin about 15 degrees off of plumb and hit side ways with a hammer and let the square edge of the tip, cutting a hole in the tin), (I suppose one could drill a hole in it as well to get a starting point), and start off cutting, and when you can't get any farther go to the other snip and cut about a 1" strip out of the tube, working your way around the tube,

I suppose one could use a dremel tool and a cut off wheel, or even a jig saw with a metal blade,
        Last edited by BHD; 11-28-2007, 11:43 AM.
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          you could cut a "collar" and slip over the pipe and then use screws to fasten it to the sheet steel backing, or even make a split collar and then attach it to the base sheet backing,
          _________
          |........___|
          |....../
          |.....|
          |......\____
          |________|

or
          |.....\____/.....|
          |____________|

the "." are jsut to keep the spacing for the picture,

on the second one you could use the tab method. as described above, or cut it close and use the silicon as suggested,
          Nice idea.

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          even a jig saw with a metal blade,
          tried this last night. It worked well.

thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X