X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Goodman furnace - any good?

i have put about 50 in in the last year, one in my moms and i have an amana. the only issues i see are the flame rods tend to wear quicker than some others and there was a batch of bad ignitirs mid last year. they are just as reliable as anyone else and have a better warrent in most cases. if you are putting a regular system with no frills i would recomend them. if you love your gadgets and want expandability or zoning i would go carrier infinity hands down. goodman may be less expensive but the technoligy is the same, the parts are essentially al the same the only noticible diff is the metal gage is thinner and therefore a little loader during running time but not enough to make it an issue. depending on what your switching out the inshot burner will get some used to hearing
    how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

We use Ruud for the high end stuff, but Goodman's for most contractor price jobs. Very few problems so far.
      sigpic

Comment

I was the Plaintiff's Expert on a class-action against Goodman for their heat exchagers in their roof top units. I seem to recall we found something like 75% of the exchangers needed to be replaced. As far as I know this was limited to a single product line.

Mark
        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by Brien View Post
          It looks like bad information has been given about Goodman.
          Man, talk about bad information.

Goodman is #2 in sales in the nation.
          This thread is about quality, not the amount of sales a company does. The reason they sell so many furnaces is because they are cheap, theres more internet sellers selling Goodman than any other brand out there, and any wholesaler I have seen that handles Goodman will sell to anybody without a license. Locally, there is a place retailing Goodman to the public.

I went to the factory in Texas last year and can tell you first hand they are well built units.
          How many other factories have you visited to compare to your experience at the Goodman factory?

They did receive a bad name in the past for their clam shell heat exchangers failing but they bought out Amana and now have the patent to the tube design that has no welds.
          This design is completely inferior to Ruud/Rheem stainless tubular. Time WILL prove this.

And the parts warranty is 10 years, BUT the heat exchanger warranty can be beat. For one thing the heat exchanger is now lifetime to the original purchaser NOT the 20 year lifetime as everyone else.
          A lifetime warranty is industry standard on 90+ heat exchangers. 20 year is standard on 80's, with a few lifetimes out there.

They also went to 32 guage steel for their cabinets.
          I'm pretty sure their cabinets are thicker than 32 gauge.

As a master service technician for 29 years I know what are the biggest most expensive pain in the buts are.
          What are they?

But I do not believe in product bashing.
          I do, when its deserved. Goodmans name is severely damaged with me, and several contractors in my area. I classify it as cheap junk, and only time will prove to me that the GMS and GMH series are a decent furnace.

Comment

Godman makes an excellent product they are not full of expensive parts that will require oem replacement and cost you a fortune. As stated elsewhere the MOST IMPORTANT THING WILL BE THE QUALITY OF THE INSTALLATION. cannot be overstated. Also Goodman does manufactur a Premium line like everyone else... Amana. The Amana product is comproble to anything else out there. It just has a better warranty! You dont need to pay for all those T.V. commercials you see advertising the "other" big names. We install all brands of equipment (through insurance work) and they are all good and dependable if properly installed. But when you do have a problem the goodman will be resonable to fix.

Comment

athuswal, the advice the evil gopher gave you is absolutely correct. back in the late 70's to mid 80's goodman put out some garbage units. since then, they have changed ownership a couple of times and are now a very good quality unit. i have been selling goodman for 10 years. i also sell comfortmaker which is a carrier product, trane, fedders, haier, gibson, and oneida royal. i have a goodman furnace and a/c unit on my house. they are cheaper than trane and carrier (the only manufacturer in the u.s. larger than goodman) because they don't advertise on television and don't have to make that advertising dollar back by racking up the price of their units. STEER CLEAR OF ANY CONTRACTOR THAT STEERS YOU AWAY FROM GOODMAN. THEY ARE TRYING TO SELL YOU A HIGH DOLLAR UNIT THAT HAS THE SAME BASIC COMPONENTS. hope this helps you. you can purchase goodman units for a great price at the company i work for. it is called TUNS and they are located in covington ohio. you can call them at 1-877-473-8867. thanks, steve

Comment

Finding an honest furnace or air conditioner review is hard because everyone is biased in one way or another. I decided to write this furnace review to give my opinion with facts that I have accumulated over the years.
                I have been repairing and installing furnaces and air conditioners for 21 years so I have a good amount of experience in the subject.

I have found that furnaces have evolved over the years to a point now where the manufacturers are offering a high quality product that will last many years. When high efficiency furnaces first came out, each manufacturer had its own idea on how to build a furnace and by trial and error they slowly worked out the problems to where now they are all are building a good furnace.

The furnace manufacturers actually just build the heat exchanger, cabinet, housings etc. They buy the circuit boards, motors, burners, controls, limit switches, draft inducers, pressure controls, gas valves, ignition controls, and hot surface igniters from the companies that build them like GE, Honeywell, White Rodgers, Robertshaw, etc.

You generally read comments about furnace brands that have a negative slant. This is because people who have had a bad experience tend to have the drive to tell the world about it while the people who are satisfied are content to leave it at that. The truth is every brand has to be repaired now and then and since the manufacturers who build the main working parts of the furnaces build them for every furnace manufacturer, I do not see a big difference in number of repairs from one brand to the next.

Then how should you choose which furnace brand to buy? It is important to purchase your furnace from someone you can trust to install it properly and who will back up the warranty if something should go wrong later on. I recommend that you try to buy locally so you are important to the business that you are buying from and not just another anonymous customer who does not matter. The manufacturers warranty is a big factor to look at. If the furnace does break in the future, you don't want to be stuck with a large repair bill. Today you can find lifetime warranties on heat exchangers and 10 years on all other parts. If they don't offer this warranty, keep looking because some do and it is better to let the manufacturer pay for the repair instead of you. After all if they spend all of that money on advertising trying to convince you to buy their furnace let them back it up with a good warranty!

Don't pay for your furnace over and over again with high gas bills. There are two somewhat standard efficiency ratings on furnaces that are sold today, 80% and 95%. You can think of the difference as being this: for every dollar that you pay your utility company for natural gas for your furnace, with the 80% model, 80 cents out of every dollar heats the house and 20 cents is wasted up the chimney. While the 95% efficiency model only loses 5 cents out of every dollar out the vent. So can see over time the amount of money you can save by installing a 95% furnace will easily pay for the difference in price over the 80% model and save you money every year after that.

I have installed many brands of furnaces over the years and have narrowed my offerings down to one brand. I now only install Goodman furnaces and air conditioners because I have found no better unit on the market that offers the price and warranty that I believe my customers want. Some of my customers have not heard of Goodman furnaces and air conditioners because of their lack of consumer advertising. This a plus, because who wants to pay for all of the expensive advertising that gets passed down to the consumer in the form of higher prices? Goodman had sales of 1.9 billion dollars last year and with out all of those expensive ads. You must be doing something right to become one of the largest manufacturers of furnaces in the United States with out all kinds of advertising. I also like the way Goodman backs me up if I need a warranty part without undue paperwork or making it difficult to return the part.

All furnace manufacturers have websites that you can review their products. Here is the link for
                Goodman. The thing to watch out for while you look for a new furnace is not to be sucked in by a celebrity who is trying to convince you that one brand is better than the next without telling you the things that matter like warranty and price.

I hope this clears up some of the confusion in trying to pick one brand over another.

My name is John and I own
                Schuebel's Heating and Air Conditioning in Woodbury Minnesota.
                I work just in my area so I can be responsive to my customers needs.

My website is
                www.woodburyfurnace.com

sigpichttp://woodburyfurnace.comhttp://www.heatpumpmn.com/

Comment

Please help me

Hi all,

Any body of you please send me the exact location and contatc number of anyone of the goodman's manufacturing unit?

It looks like bad information has been given about Goodman. Goodman is #2 in sales in the nation. I went to the factory in Texas last year and can tell you first hand they are well built units. They did receive a bad name in the past for their clam shell heat exchangers failing but they bought out Amana and now have the patent to the tube design that has no welds. And the parts warranty is 10 years, BUT the heat exchanger warranty can be beat. For one thing the heat exchanger is now lifetime to the original purchaser NOT the 20 year lifetime as everyone else. If the heat exchanger fails in the first 10 years they dont just give you a new exchanger you get a new furnace! THE WHOLE FURNACE! Try to beat the 99 year warranty on the compressors on the A?C unit. Goodman puts their money where their mouth is. They also went to 32 guage steel for their cabinets. And you cant beat the price. As a master service technician for 29 years I know what are the biggest most expensive pain in the buts are. But I do not believe in product bashing. And yes, sizing the furnace and return are critical for all units for longevity. Ask the installer for references, if they have a good rep it should not be a problem.

Comment

We are a Father & Son business, so we generally install 5-10 HVAC systems a year. Most of our work is Plumbing & Heating with A/C third.

Since Janitrol into the GOODMAN name, we have only had 1 bad compressor from the factory, and 1 A coil that had a bad Braze joint. (a span of 20 years). Either we are extremely lucky with the products we got, or we are doing something right installation wise, or a combination of both. Maybe if we installed 30-40 systems a year it might be a different story, but we damn near have zero call backs after a system install.

We still have Janitrol condenser units that we installed, that's easily 15 years old. But took out a janitrol unit from my Aunt's house that had a cracked TOP on the condensing unit.

As for the GOODMAN furnace, they had made great strides like explain above. I think GOODMAN will get even better than it is in time. I LOVE the fact that I can deal directly with the manufacture to buy our systems, and cut out the middle man. This seems to be a sore spots with lots of other companies, and I believe it plays a part in the GOODMAN bashing.

I feel as though GOODMAN is a SOLID product, and you can't beat it for the price. To say they are builders grade or low grade I disagree 100% with that notion. When someone says builders grade or low grade, the name York enters my mind.

I never installed any other brand, but worked on a few different ones. I must say I kind of liked the Carrier a little bit. If I was going to move on from GOODMAN, I would give Carrier a serious LONG look. (<--- very serious look) I was impress with a Carrier install I saw in a new customer of mine's home, and it at least opened my mind to others.

Trane doesn't impress me at all...sorry Trane lovers.

I'd put GOODMAN in the TOP 5 easily of quality HVAC products right now.

Comment

Dude...

Did you seriously Necro a 2 year old thread so you could blow your own brands horn?

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                        Dude...

Did you seriously Necro a 2 year old thread so you could blow your own brands horn?

Pretty much so

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                          Pretty much so
                          I am curious as to why you would push a brand that could care less about you or your company? Is it all for the sake of being cheap?

I can get any piece of Goodman equipment via the internet with Free shipping no questions asked (they dont even care if you have an EPA cert...How does that help you and your business?

I actually had a homeowner call me to help them finish the installation of a faulty heat exchanger that goodman sent a homeowner with ZERO experience no questions asked.

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
                            I am curious as to why you would push a brand that could care less about you or your company? Is it all for the sake of being cheap?

I can get any piece of Goodman equipment via the internet with Free shipping no questions asked (they dont even care if you have an EPA cert...How does that help you and your business?

I actually had a homeowner call me to help them finish the installation of a faulty heat exchanger that goodman sent a homeowner with ZERO experience no questions asked.

First off, I actually read this forum, and instead of starting new threads, I respond to the ones already started. If I would of started a new thread, you would of had a comment for that as well, so either way I was in a lose/lose situation from the start.

To answer your question, it doesn't bother me one bit if a customer buys that GOODMAN unit online. GOODMAN does NOT stand behind any units bought online and it's clearly spelled out. So if someone is stupid enough to do that..all the power to them. I had 1 customer who wanted to buy their own unit online, and they changed their tune real quick when they found out the warranty from GOODMAN didn't accompany it.

We are a small company like I said, and never had 1 problem with GOODMAN corporate office. It's not like we are setting the world on fire putting hundreds of these units in a year. We are a very small fish in a very large pond, and their customer service and tech support have been very good to us.

Common sense would say, when you MASS produce something, you're bound to get faulty equipment sooner or later. It doesn't matter if it's cars, Plumbing fixtures, or what ever else....you're going to get defects.

If GOODMAN was junk or low grade like some people say, we would not stake our reputation on the product. There was some misinformation in this thread that needed to be pointed out. Janitrol's have lasted more than 10 years in the field...trust me. Just like I've seen other companies have their products last a long time in this trade.

If I bought a brand new Mercedes and the rear main seal was leaking, should I insinuate that it's junk?

GOODMAN has had their hiccups just like anyone else. For anyone in this trade to insinuate that they suck is either biased or clueless. I never said GOODMAN was the best on the market...I said they were solid, which means I know there are others on the market that are just as good if not better.

We as tradesman have to work with these products, and if I like something, I'm going to let other people know. My customers are thrilled and that's all that really matters to me. If they weren't I'm sure the Better Business Bureau would be familiar with my name.
                            Last edited by Flux; 07-15-2010, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flux View Post
                              First off, I actually read this forum, and instead of starting new threads, I respond to the ones already started. If I would of started a new thread, you would of had a comment for that as well, so either way I was in a lose/lose situation from the start. I have not attacked Goodmans quality only their business practices... I only take issue with your need to Necro an old thread to plug your brand...

To answer your question, it doesn't bother me one bit if a customer buys that GOODMAN unit online. GOODMAN does NOT stand behind any units bought online and it's clearly spelled out. So if someone is stupid enough to do that..all the power to them. I had 1 customer who wanted to buy their own unit online, and they changed their tune real quick when they found out the warranty from GOODMAN didn't accompany it. I have had 3 homeowners in as many years call and get their own warranty parts from Goodman directly... Just for fun I bet if you called and acted like a homeowner you will see exactly what Goodman will do... The point is the Brand you are pushing is not pushing you or your business... If you had a relationship with almost any other equipment manufacturer you would understand what I'm talking about...

We are a small company like I said, and never had 1 problem with GOODMAN corporate office. It's not like we are setting the world on fire putting hundreds of these units in a year. We are a very small fish in a very large pond, and their customer service and tech support have been very good to us. Sorry, did not mean to put you the defensive I too am a small company....

Common sense would say, when you MASS produce something, you're bound to get faulty equipment sooner or later. It doesn't matter if it's cars, Plumbing fixtures, or what ever else....you're going to get defects.
                              Still on the defensive??? I did not attack Goodmans quality so is this more "This is why goodman is so great" plugging?

If GOODMAN was junk or low grade like some people say, we would not stake our reputation on the product. There was some misinformation in this thread that needed to be pointed out. Janitrol's have lasted more than 10 years in the field...trust me. Just like I've seen other companies have their products last a long time in this trade.

If I bought a brand new Mercedes and the rear main seal was leaking, should I insinuate that it's junk? Was this supposed to be a relevant analogy? If you were a Mercedes dealer and the rear main seal was leaking on 10 out of 10 units could you infer that the unit is junk may be a better analogy ( think heat exchanger clips)

GOODMAN has had their hiccups just like anyone else. For anyone in this trade to insinuate that they suck is either biased or clueless (no bias in that statement LOL). I never said GOODMAN was the best on the market...I said they were solid, which means I know there are others on the market that are just as good if not better.

We as tradesman have to work with these products, and if I like something, I'm going to let other people know. My customers are thrilled and that's all that really matters to me. If they weren't I'm sure the Better Business Bureau would be familiar with my name.For all we know the BBB could know you well j/k

Bill

Comment

Bill to be quite honest with you, and I'm not trying to be an A$$...if I want your opinion, I'm more than capable of giving it to you.

I'm not going to sit here and get into a pissing match over you not liking me to express my opinions, which everyone else freely does here.

You came into this thread to start sh*t..and I left those childish games back in high school, so knock yourself out pal.

Comment

Working...
                                X