X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodman furnace - any good?

I have to make a decision about putting a new furnace into a house that I am renting out. Can anyone give me advice about Goodman furnaces? My contractor is recommending this furnace as a good unit for a rental.
    thanks, Andrew

Re: Goodman furnace - any good?

They're not the greatest. How good is the installer?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

People tend to slap goodman around just because they are low priced...after time it becomes an automatic response...

I like goodman's...simple...less to go wrong...cheaper to fix....and they have a serious warrenty in terms of leanght....

The bigest thing to know is the install will make are break the best or worst unit...if corners are cut...not installed well best unit will be a pig...and a pig not installed right will be a major pain!! Get the best installation / company u can get...ask friends...ask neighbors....pay a little more for a quaility install and u will be happy.

Comment

ok guys, thanks for the input.

Comment

First off, I am commercial and not residential.

Second, any AC/Furnace installed is only going to be as good as the installer. I have no problem with installing Goodman equipment(I dont do many of them) but shop for a reputable installer.

Some will disagree with me here, but when it comes to residential split systems, there is not a heck of a lot of difference in the equipment(the biggest being cosmetics/quality of paint/sheet metal etc...)

Ask your contractor for references and by all means check them.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
            Some will disagree with me here, but when it comes to residential split systems, there is not a heck of a lot of difference in the equipment(the biggest being cosmetics/quality of paint/sheet metal etc...)
            I totally disagree. There is a huge difference in quality between different units. I hesitate to say there is a big difference in quality between manufacturers, because most everyone has their 'Builders Models'. But, If you take a Premium series Ruud or Trane unit and put it up against Goodman, theres no comparison. The builders series Ruud is worthless IMO and I'd rather install a Goodman.

Its been my experience that Goodman is 10 year equipment.

Comment

I dont disagree with you that a Premium line of Trane, York etc.. is of higher quality.

I guess I did not make myself clear on my statement before. If he is looking at goodman, he is not looking to spend a heck of a lot of money. In the builders models, I just have never seen a lot of difference in quality of equipment between manufacturers.

Regards,

Comment

I do not want to start a brand war...expecialy since furnaces is not a big florida thing...but to me Trane especialy the 19i 2 compressor systems just do not impress me.

Down here salt air eats everything..so a "10 year system" is about all once can expect...less than 5 if u live on the beach side. soo calling Goodman a 10 yr system to me means its average.

I think Maytag is an up and comeing line....hard to beat 12 years parts AND labor warrenty.

again diffrent worlds furnace vs cooling...I also think some of these super duper space age system..Trane 19i Carriers Evalution, Maytag IQ drive..off the top of my head are an example of things to come...just for now dont have all the bugs worked out...close but not quite their yet.

Comment

this will cost more but is worth it:
                  tell the installer (when there biding on it):

1."no flex duct" (it will deteriorate and rats love it)

2."no duct board" (if it gets wet it gets weak and tends not to stay fastened to the furnace if not installed correctly)

Goodman is OK they do have a 10 year warranty now

but if i was you i would look at the work before signing the final check, once its paid for it's harder to get the work completed correctly.

look for damage to the furnace cabinet (more than should get dropped or banged up during shipping and thats with all brands)
                  ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

Goodman does have a reputation as cheap and junk. Having said that, I have one and of all the parts of the system the furnace should be the one less affected in compairson with other brands. As mentioned by others it is more to do with your dealer/installer than anything else.

I would prefer a Trane or other well know brand, but I think you will be OK with the Goodman.
                    thepapabear<BR>When a bureaucrat has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

Comment

im a biased person in this debate i will say that off of the getgo. im a goodman,carrier,and heil dealer in my city. i will stick a high eff. goodman up against anyone else but carrier. goodman are cheaper to buy/sell. the highest standard warrenty avalible and a great deal. the parts are cheaper downt the road as well. the on;ly reason why i like the carrier more is that the mvb line or infinity in laymans is the most quiet, customisable furnace in the world
                      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

i have had 3 goodman's (3 ton) installed on the nc coast, the 1st one in 1998

had to replace the compressor but was under warranty and paid ~$200 labor, might have been from the leaf build up...they should build them so it is EASIER to clean out

and had to repair some type of fan switch

i would buy another goodman b/c it has served us well and was more affordable

the other 2 have been solid performers, so far

Comment

Originally posted by surfsalterpath View Post
                          i have had 3 goodman's (3 ton) installed on the nc coast, the 1st one in 1998

had to replace the compressor but was under warranty and paid ~$200 labor, might have been from the leaf build up...they should build them so it is EASIER to clean out

and had to repair some type of fan switch

i would buy another goodman b/c it has served us well and was more affordable

the other 2 have been solid performers, so far
                          have your a/c tech do a coil cleaning at least once a year or twice if you have a heat pump (spring and fall) tell them to remove the leaves at the same time.

really they should do it any way i do. thought i found that around here a/c co. tend not to clean unless you ask for it cause they would rather prematurely replace a system to make more $$$.

in all fairness not every one dose that but it is what I've seen time and again. when i first came here i worked for a co. that was in biz 48 yr. and i would be doing a routine service and tell the customer that there condenser was filthy and it needed cleaning and they would reply "nobody ever had to clean it before" like i was trying to rip them off. and i found out that the other tech's that worked there would just changing filters and go. no amp test, no pressure test, no coil inspection, check electrical connections, nothing they were paying for except new filters. very sad...

that co. went under and it should have been sooner rather than later.
                          Last edited by jaminjimlp; 12-14-2007, 04:54 AM.
                          ROMANS 10:9 confess with your mouth that JESUS is LORD and believe in your heart that GOD raised him from the dead and you will be Saved.

Comment

It looks like bad information has been given about Goodman. Goodman is #2 in sales in the nation. I went to the factory in Texas last year and can tell you first hand they are well built units. They did receive a bad name in the past for their clam shell heat exchangers failing but they bought out Amana and now have the patent to the tube design that has no welds. And the parts warranty is 10 years, BUT the heat exchanger warranty can be beat. For one thing the heat exchanger is now lifetime to the original purchaser NOT the 20 year lifetime as everyone else. If the heat exchanger fails in the first 10 years they dont just give you a new exchanger you get a new furnace! THE WHOLE FURNACE! Try to beat the 99 year warranty on the compressors on the A?C unit. Goodman puts their money where their mouth is. They also went to 32 guage steel for their cabinets. And you cant beat the price. As a master service technician for 29 years I know what are the biggest most expensive pain in the buts are. But I do not believe in product bashing. And yes, sizing the furnace and return are critical for all units for longevity. Ask the installer for references, if they have a good rep it should not be a problem.

Comment

They have to be good, it say's so in their name
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X