Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm a Contractor"..No, You're a HACK!

I go to a 'no heat' call last week. The guy says "I'm a contractor" fixing the place up so the tenants can move in tommorrow. This is what I find when he shows me the thermostat:Somehow he managed to wired these two thermostats together.

He said he already 'checked' the chimney and it was all clear. This is what I find when I look inside: Completly stopped up. I pulled out a 5 gallon bucket full of soot, 3 dead birds and what looked like maybe a squirrel carcass

After I get the heat on he wants me to fix a leak on a pipe he extended: He used and old piece of black gas pipe he found with a shop coupling on a cold water riser. I gave him points for being resourceful

And I saved the best for last: I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't standing there staring at it. He bullheaded the dryer vent to the water heater flue. When I called him on it he said "it's ok I've done it in alot of houses I've fixed up"

I turned his a$$ in...3 hours later a stop work order was in the window

I hate to be a taddle tail but people like this need to be stopped before someone gets hurt

Last edited by plumberscrack; 06-15-2008, 11:37 AM.

Re: "I'm a Contractor"..No, You're a HACK!

My motto is "snitches get stitches" but you're 100% right. This hack has endangered lives by his work and doesn't deserve to be in our trade.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I understand a DIY makeing a mistake..hay no big thing..but a "contractor"...no excuse!!!! Especialy risking peoples lives to save a buck.

Comment

Let me guess he was the electrical contractor too. Glad you turned him in

Comment

you did good crack

hope this teaches him a lesson and he either learns or leaves.

keep it up and mark your truck with a kill

rick.
          phoebe it is

Comment

Good job PC, I must add however, not all Contractors work like that. I hope that jerk gets a very heavy fine, and loses his License, if he has one...
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
              I hope that jerk gets a very heavy fine, and loses his License, if he has one...
              Ha! wishful thinking.

The only thing worse than the D.C. Code Enforcement Department is the actual enforcement of the D.C. code.

Mechanical requires a permit but doesn't require inspections

Taxation Without Representation.... I love it!

Most smart contractors use 3rd. party inspectors that are in their pocket

Comment

He's one that inspires "stupid people shouldn't breed" bumper stickers. People like him are why many towns require a permit to change a light bulb...well, you know what I mean.

You did the right thing...

Comment

dang it P.C. stop nit picking my work would ya, i geee wizzz man i had to call you out here to fix all my ceative engenrring(so good at it i can't even spell it) then i try to short change you you on the bill and then you call the fuzz one me??

WELL!!!.......... i never!

good job P.C. you did right and you may have even saved a life or two, good job!! and since you are there in d.c. i use to help a company out there at times, there work was really not much better than that the company is off new york ave.(john g webster) but that was 12-13 years ago and from what i have heard they are under new managment now and are doing alot better work, for there sake and there costomers i hope that is true
                  9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

If you had slipped me the $50 like we agreed on OSC I wouldn't have had to make the call

Yea Webster is over by the Pepsi Cola plant. You did good by getting away from them. They are a bit smaller now. We hire and fired a few guys from there a couple years ago.

Comment

PlumbersCrack, You did the right thing turning him in. Anymore it's only about the $$$ factor and who you know.

Comment

Good for you P-Crack.He needs to be knocked down to reality.Doesn't sound like he will be set back too far still I hope he gets some punishment to where he will invest in bettering himself.

Looks like I'm going to have to work through Christmas vacation to get my jobs covered up before you get here.

Comment

LOL Adam,

Should I be surprised if I go out tommorow and find 4 flat tires?

Comment

only a hack would leave you with 4 flats .............. a pro would have gotten the spare as well
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by oldslowchevy View Post
                              only a hack would leave you with 4 flats .............. a pro would have gotten the spare as well

Comment

Working...
                              X