Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
    Did you read my entire post?

Sytem 636 is the only material we can use.

http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/EN_CA..._System636.asp
    Alright, learn me something eh. Why is it that you guys have PVC vents that are failing, and we have had them for 20+ years with no problems. Is it because your furnaces twice as much due to the extreme cold? I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Stormin View Post
      OK - more confused than B4 - I read the Rheem Installation manual. It says the 3" PVC should have been reduced to 2" B4 going up through roof.
      My main concern is Fir Tree Needles going down it and clogging the much smaller condensate drainage pipes.

Manual say nothing about covering the pipe to keep water or debris out.

Forget it - or cover it? NO snow considerations BTW - we get 14" snow storm once in 20 years- always gone in a few days.
      You are correct. Ruud/Rheem does require reducing from 3" down to 2" before exiting the building. IIRC, their reasoning was to increase the velocity of the flue gas as it exits the building.

You do have a very valid concern about Fir Tree Needles. If the area of the roof where the vent is, gets covered with needles, its likely you will have problems. The rain will not be a problem, as it will run through the condensate drain.

The furnace is already vented out of spec. My first suggestion would be to have the installer change the venting to meet the manufacturers specs, and definately take into account the needles. If this means venting horizontally out the sidewall, so be it. My second suggestion, since the furnace is already out of spec, is to get yourself 2 3" long sweep 90's and make your 'candy cane', like you want. Do not cover the vent with screen as it will likely freeze up.

Comment

Most of the problems were with sch 40 ABS and cell core ABS and PVC, especially on water heater installations.
        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Did you read my entire post?

Sytem 636 is the only material we can use.

http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/EN_CA..._System636.asp
          This link won't open for me

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            This link won't open for me
            Same here PC. But his first link does work. Honestly, I'm not learning a whole lot here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
              Same here PC. But his first link does work. Honestly, I'm not learning a whole lot here.
              What's your opinion of the concentric vent kits?

Comment

Thats my favorite way to vent. I use them wherever they will fit. About the only time I cant use them if I'm venting horizontally and it terminates too close to grade. There I will have to 2 pipe individually and raise both of them up outside.

Comment

my 90% has a 2" pvc pipe and for the outside they give you a tee with screens in two ends and you put the bull of the tee down .
                  the make up air has a 90 with a screen and you make it with a st90 to make a inverted u bend
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Not too sure about Canada, but most code books down here, like the International Mech Code and the National fuel gas code state that the manufacturers installation instructions superceed all other codes. So if the manufactures wants PVC you put in PVC. As for failure, I've been installing pvc for many years now where required and have had 0 failures of the vent system.
                    sigpic

Comment

the code here as well says that manu. specs overrule all else other than we must use 636 pve pipe,glue,and fitt. there has only ever been failures with abs. pvc of anykind is temp rated too high to fail. the 636 must be used for 2 reasons i it does have a slight temp rateing diff. 2 the guys at ipex sold our local gov. on the idea and we must use it exclusively. pvc of anykind will logically work period... the abs failed in two ways. one if used on long horizontal runs it would dramatically sagg thus tripping the pressure switches out, even when the pipe was hung according to code hanger distances.

two. the installations of appliences like quietside wall hung boilers the abs pipe did actually melt during usage. this was obviously a danger luckilly around here most of the quietsides have briken down and been garbaged.
                      how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                        the code here as well says that manu. specs overrule all else
                        Really Eh?

CAN/CSA-B149.1-05 Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code

4.1.4. Where a conflict exists between the manufacturer’s certified installation instructions and the Code, the requirements of the Code shall prevail unless otherwise approved.
                        You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

ya well it's Canada.......things are a itt different up there ey....
                          sigpic

Comment

Really Eh?

CAN/CSA-B149.1-05 Natural Gas and Propane Installation Code

4.1.4. Where a conflict exists between the manufacturer’s certified installation instructions and the Code, the requirements of the Code shall prevail unless otherwise approved.
                            have you ever dealt with an inspecter? for an inspection the manual must be preasent as a referance. clearences are followed from the manuals. that clause is not ever followed as written, the otherwise approved is the rule as you should know. by the way try using the new code book not the 05'
                            how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                              The furnace is already vented out of spec. My first suggestion would be to have the installer change the venting to meet the manufacturers specs, and definately take into account the needles. If this means venting horizontally out the sidewall, so be it. My second suggestion, since the furnace is already out of spec, is to get yourself 2 3" long sweep 90's and make your 'candy cane', like you want. Do not cover the vent with screen as it will likely freeze up.
                              I'd suggest he have a look at the MFG spec for max distance vs offsets.
                              If the MFG calls for no more than say 80' on 3" and he's already at 75, the 2 extra 90's usually tack on 10 more feet. (Usually a 90 equals 5, 45 equals 3)
                              He really should have the installer back to fix it, it's kinda a kick in the tail for those of us that take the time to read the MFG specs on new or unfamiliar models.
                              I haven't done a Rheem furnace, for that matter I don't do furnaces, just boilers...but usually they require a screen on the outlet end.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                                What's your opinion of the concentric vent kits?
                                There's an irony.
                                These kits usually terminate both exhaust & intake within one exterior fitting.
                                If you opt not to pay for the concentric setup you have to keep them seperate by 3-4 feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X