Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
90% PVC Vent Question Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 90% PVC Vent Question

    I just noticed that HVAC guy put the 3" PVC vent pipe up through roof but it doesn't have the "Candy Cane" or any cover so rain can go straight down it just like a plumbing VTR.

    Is this a mistake? Or is this a new correct way to do it? There is a small PVC drain combined with the A coil drain in case that helps answer.

    If it needs correcting should I just glue up a "Candy Cane" or is there a better method to keep rain out?

    Thanks.

  • #2
    Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

    Depends on what the manufacturer wants.

    If the 3" is the exhaust where is the furnace getting fresh air?

    At the very least I hope it's marked as an exhaust pipe so some dumb plumber doesn't run 40' of K-50 cable down there trying to clear a stack stoppage. Still stopped up?...ok I'll add another section and push real hard this time.

    Been there, done that

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

      I still shake my head when I see PVC vent pipe on a gas furnace...yes its code approved..but my fussy mind cant accept PVC pipe on a gas furnaces..its hot..pipe will melt...I know it does not...but just seems soo wrong.

      We tie our PVC vent pipes into the existing flue/vent pipe dureing change outs sooo we do NOT replace the though the roof part....but make sure its got some kind of cap on it....to keep rain and plumers out.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

        Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
        We tie our PVC vent pipes into the existing flue/vent pipe dureing change outs sooo we do NOT replace the though the roof part....but make sure its got some kind of cap on it....to keep rain and plumers out.
        Huh?

        I guarantee that is not approved by any code in the country, or approved by ANY furnace manufacturer. That is very wrong.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

          Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
          Huh?

          I guarantee that is not approved by any code in the country, or approved by ANY furnace manufacturer. That is very wrong.

          down here in florida nothing surprizes me anymore, nothing, i mean nothing
          9/11/01, never forget.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

            These 90% + gas units are VERY VERY specific about the venting requirements. YOU MUST follow the manufacturers procedures or you are taking tremendous liability. I could go on for page after page about the why's, but from a legal standpoint (that's when the house burns down or everyone is killed by carbon monoxide) if you fail to follow the instructions. precisely, you've got a problem. This in one area where you just can't afford to cowboy the installation. Aside from that if you don't get it right theres a real good chance that you will have repeat call after repeat call, because many of these units are critical of the draft.

            Do it once, do it right or don't do it at all.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

              It is legal now on many units but the pvc will turn brittle.Anything I have installed the manufacturer wants ABS the first 3'.I make the transition with threaded adapters.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                ABS is just as bad as PVC. Both are prohibited here in Alberta Canada, even though a number of appliance manufacturers’ certified installation instructions indicate that schedule 40 ABS, CPVC, PVC, ABS Cellular Core and PVC Cellular Core, or DWV ABS and PVC pipe and fittings may be used.

                When utilizing thermoplastic piping to vent a gas-fired appliance all piping materials, fittings, and solvent cements shall be compatible. Do not mix and match the various piping materials, fittings and solvent cements.

                A recent standata states "Vents constructed using plastic piping shall be certified to ULC S636" This material probably isn't widely available yet, as far as I know IPEX is the only manufacturer of System 636 PVC and CPVC

                http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/EN_CA..._System636.asp
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

                By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                  the pvc issue is a null disscussion. the pvc does not turn brittle at all. it is not schedual 40 or anything esle that has been seen before. the chemical compaounds in the pvc keep it plyable for its life span. think of duct gum. it will allways stay plyable. this feature is sure noticable when you try to cut it with pvc hand cutters for the first time. there is no issues of melting either, if you have ever installed a high eff. furnace you know you can put your hand over the exhaust this is why it is so efficient. all of the worry stated here is all from a lack of experience. the 636 pvc code change was one that we copies from the us not one that origionated here. im guessing the reason yiu see no combustion air is that there is a combustion air pot in the furnace room. thus alowing a one pipe ono-direct exhauste.
                  how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                    Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    These 90% + gas units are VERY VERY specific about the venting requirements. YOU MUST follow the manufacturers procedures or you are taking tremendous liability. I could go on for page after page about the why's, but from a legal standpoint (that's when the house burns down or everyone is killed by carbon monoxide) if you fail to follow the instructions. precisely, you've got a problem. This in one area where you just can't afford to cowboy the installation. Aside from that if you don't get it right theres a real good chance that you will have repeat call after repeat call, because many of these units are critical of the draft.

                    Do it once, do it right or don't do it at all.
                    i agree with NHmaster
                    if you change what the manufacturers want you will not get the right draft and have a condensation problem .

                    and i think they did there homework on using the PVC pipe .and it does not get hot .
                    Charlie

                    My seek the peek fundraiser page
                    http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040


                    http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

                    new work pictures 12/09
                    http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                      Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                      ABS is just as bad as PVC. Both are prohibited here in Alberta Canada
                      How do you vent your 90 plus furnaces then??

                      We have been using pvc to vent 90 plus furnaces for over 20 years. I must be dumb or something.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                        OK - more confused than B4 - I read the Rheem Installation manual. It says the 3" PVC should have been reduced to 2" B4 going up through roof.
                        My main concern is Fir Tree Needles going down it and clogging the much smaller condensate drainage pipes.

                        Manual say nothing about covering the pipe to keep water or debris out.

                        Forget it - or cover it? NO snow considerations BTW - we get 14" snow storm once in 20 years- always gone in a few days.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                          Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                          How do you vent your 90 plus furnaces then??

                          We have been using pvc to vent 90 plus furnaces for over 20 years. I must be dumb or something.
                          Did you read my entire post?

                          Sytem 636 is the only material we can use.

                          http://www.ipexinc.com/Content/EN_CA..._System636.asp
                          You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

                          By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                            Originally posted by proplumb View Post
                            the 636 pvc code change was one that we copies from the us not one that origionated here
                            I don't think so. I belive Canada is the first.

                            What are most of you US guys using?
                            You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

                            By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: 90% PVC Vent Question

                              actually ipex desighned the line to meet new california requirements a few years ago, unfortunatly for ipex the locals didn't buy what they were selling. victoria has been in the midst of making 636 code for a long time but their problem like what we had in spring was avalibility of the product. we are the first to make it 100% law but not the origionators by far
                              how is it that so many answers are in the instructions

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X