Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

What kind of Boilers do you install?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What kind of Boilers do you install?

    I work for a company the specializes in ultra efficient heating of mainly high end homes in Greater Vancouver (mainly West Vancouver). We do lots of hydronic (radiant floors, geothermal, fan coils) heating (our company is about 75% plumbers and 25% sheet metal installers "tingbangers") & ventilation with some A/C. We do lots of high efficiency gas boiler RE & RE's & new construction to Geothermal systems with high effiency gas boiler back ups. We use lots of Rehau products for our maniolds and radiant floors.

    I'm curious what types of boilers you guys install, both high effieincy and otherwise. What are your some of the things you like and dislike about the boilers you install? To date I have mainly installed IBC boilers (http://www.ibcboiler.com). I've also installed one Buderus - all wall mounts. I like the digital display on the IBC, but there were some installation things I liked about the Buderus. My company in the past has also installed Munchkins (mixed luck) and a few Viessmann boilers (Vitodens). The IBC 15-150 is a pretty sweet boiler just because of it's high degree of modulation (from 15,000 to 150,000 BTU's output) and I can install them now in my sleep as well as they are local to us so if we ever have problems we can have a manufacturers rep out pretty quick.

    That CPVC 636 pipe (which is mandated by our gas code now) is sure expensive though (Ipex is the only one that supplies it for now - it's about $9 a foot for 3", $6.50 a foot for 2" and that is my companies wholesale cost! FOR PLASTIC exhaust/VENTING PIPE!!).

  • #2
    Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

    Our main stream product is the Weil Mclain cast iron about 82%. For 90+ boilers I like the Peerless Pinnacle same as your Munchin but have not had any problems so far. The Weil Mclain Ultra is a pig to install and wire. I have installed a few Vitodens and liked them alot. Its a hard sell around here though. I have not used the 636 yet but I'm sure we will soon

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

      Only two different models of boilers, PWR and BWR.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

        We install a lot of Baxi's for radiant gas jobs (new construction) We are System 2000 dealers as well and put quite a few HB Smiths in also. I hate to limit the products that we sell and install. If the customer has the cash we'll install whatever they want. I think a lot of the high end cast iron boiler are a bit pricey for what they are. though the Veisman and Buderus boilers are excellent they are expensive, heavy and take a bit more time to set up. I like the Weil McLain gold series also but again a lot of money for what it is. I have had an Ultimate in my house for years now. Cast iron, dry base. Has a Reillo burner in it and the Taco zone controller with outdoor re-set. Very quiet, very efficient.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

          Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
          Our main stream product is the Weil Mclain cast iron about 82%. For 90+ boilers I like the Peerless Pinnacle same as your Munchin but have not had any problems so far. The Weil Mclain Ultra is a pig to install and wire. I have installed a few Vitodens and liked them alot. Its a hard sell around here though. I have not used the 636 yet but I'm sure we will soon
          I just bid a 7300 square foot 3 zone 18 loop shop last week. I bid a Weil Ultra 310. Care to elaborate on what you dont like about them?

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

            Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            I just bid a 7300 square foot 3 zone 18 loop shop last week. I bid a Weil Ultra 310. Care to elaborate on what you dont like about them?
            Where to start?...I prefer to hang them on the wall to save floor space. The hanger does not provide adaquate support for the unit. All piping typically exits through the top but can be piped from below. It gets very crowded up top with all wiring, gas, flue intake/exhaust, supply/return and primary/secondary piping.
            If you have never installed an Ultra before take my advice and do the wiring first then the flue piping and tie in the supply and return last. This is the exact opposite of a normal install. The wiring terminals are behind the flue pipes. If you have to get back in there after the flue piping goes in... forget it. All that money for that unit and no circulator relay built in. WTF? (supplied by others) Just an overall poor design IMO. The cover doesn't fit well and seems to have a lot of wasted space inside. Condensate line is exposed and subject to damage. Smallest temperature and pressure gauge on any heating equipment I have ever seen. Not a fan of the cast aluminum block. You need to be a tekkie to understand the control program functions.

            Ultra 310 for a 7300 sq ft?...seems a little big but you know what you are doing

            Bring a roll of quarters for the swear jar

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

              Excellent info, PC. Its nice to see somebody that knows what they are talking about.

              I use Wrightsoft's Right Suite program for all my load calcs, but I dont have the radiant panel module for it. I let my main supplier figure the loads on what little radiant I do. I will ask to look over his numbers for the 310. I usually dont even question his numbers, but I will give it a look. The building is/will be pole framed with a full concrete frost footing, metal skinned with 16' ceilings and 4 overhead doors. IF, the project goes through, actual boiler installation wont be until next fall at the earliest.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

                Mainly these two

                http://www.viessmann-us.com/web/cana...200_ca_english

                http://www.lochinvar.com/product.asp...=KBN080&ln=KBN

                Some of my pics here http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14204 I have more pics of the finished project, I will upload to that thread in the next day or two.
                You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

                By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

                  Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                  IF, the project goes through, actual boiler installation wont be until next fall at the earliest.
                  A Weil Mclain rep told me some of this things will addressed in the new line early 2008. I'm sure old stack will still be around next fall though.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: What kind of Boilers do you install?

                    Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                    Where to start?...I prefer to hang them on the wall to save floor space. The hanger does not provide adaquate support for the unit. All piping typically exits through the top but can be piped from below. It gets very crowded up top with all wiring, gas, flue intake/exhaust, supply/return and primary/secondary piping.
                    If you have never installed an Ultra before take my advice and do the wiring first then the flue piping and tie in the supply and return last. This is the exact opposite of a normal install. The wiring terminals are behind the flue pipes. If you have to get back in there after the flue piping goes in... forget it. All that money for that unit and no circulator relay built in. WTF? (supplied by others) Just an overall poor design IMO. The cover doesn't fit well and seems to have a lot of wasted space inside. Condensate line is exposed and subject to damage. Smallest temperature and pressure gauge on any heating equipment I have ever seen. Not a fan of the cast aluminum block. You need to be a tekkie to understand the control program functions.

                    Ultra 310 for a 7300 sq ft?...seems a little big but you know what you are doing

                    Bring a roll of quarters for the swear jar
                    the new series 3 ultras are alot better to pipe and wire. they can control up to 3 circulators. wiring k/os in front of vent pipes, removable molex plugs for ease of wiring.

                    Take a training class offerd by weil-mclain or your sales rep may double check wiring and setings on larger jobs.
                    "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X