X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage venting heater question"s"

Hi all, I see some people on here from Alberta so I have some questions for you. Please feel free to offer advise, concerns, no no’s what ever all the more help the better.

Sorry for the long post……….and A LOT of questions.

I have a 23 x 26” garage with scissor trusses’s so about close to 13 ft ceilings in the center.

My garage from the inside floor to the peak of the roof is 15ft tall. The roof is an estimate 5/12 slope, not much of slope at all on the garage.

I am installing a 74 gallon hydro heat hot water tank, “input” BTU 67,590 draft vent non-fan assisited.4” draft hood on it.
    I know this is a very large water heater but I got it for brand new 100 bucks as it has 3-4 nice little dents on the bottom of it. It was meant for a million+ home but because of the condition of It, I got it for dirt-cheap.

I also have a little overhead “input” BTU 75,000 garage heater that hangs from the roof. This has a 4” vent and “IS” fan assisited. There is no pilot light, it lights up just when it needs to give heat.
    I know over kill again, but with the sale it was the same price as a 45,000 BTU and if I ever move and get a bigger place I will have the heater.

SO finally what I am trying to do is install a single vent in the garage that both heaters vent to. Total BTU is 142,590 so I “think” I can use 5” Bvent am I right?

Does all the piping need to be B vent? Does the outside piping above the roof need/have to be B vent?
    I have seen and have some B vent that said do not attach to roof flashing, and some that said for interior use only. I got these at Home Depot for a penny each. They were trying to get rid of it, don’t think this actually bvent is what I need. Plus if I need more it wont match up to other brands of B Vent.

Will there be a problem with both of these vented together if the water heater is not turned on?

What about with the overhead heater and it doesn’t have a pilot light until needed with the fan, will any of this matter? They will be attached at different heights, is there any needed separation between the two such as 2” or a 1 ft apart or does that matter?

Does it matter which heaters is vented higher then the other with them being different styles?

What I would like to do is a have a vent straight from the roof down and both heaters attach at a T at a slight upward slope (1/4” per ft) T with a water trap in it.

I’m thinking at this moment the vent will be in from the wall around 1 ft to 1 1/2ft. That will make the vent “around”10ft from the peak of the roof, how high does the vent have to go past the peak of the roof?

What else should I consider or do?
    Also the Overhead heater has clearance of 1” top 1” side 18” back , 18” of the side with the access panel and the bottom states 0” Clearance. What I would like to do it put the heater on my mezzanine bolt it 1” off if it so air gets around it. Do you think code would allow this? It would still be around 9 feet of the ground and nobody could accidentally burn them selves. Plus it would match the clearance as per the manufacturer.

Thanks for hearing my long story,!!

Re: Garage venting heater question"s"

Originally posted by 83trekker View Post
    SO finally what I am trying to do is install a single vent in the garage that both heaters vent to. Total BTU is 142,590 so I “think” I can use 5” Bvent am I right?
    According to UMC 2003 Common Vent Capacity 10' of 5" B Vent with 1 fan assist and 1 natural draft appliance will handle 137,000 btu.

Does all the piping need to be B vent? Does the outside piping above the roof need/have to be B vent?

Yes you should try to run B vent as close to each appliance as possible. Here, we need to be within 1 foot of the furnace with B. Definately everything outside should be Class B Double wall.

What about with the overhead heater and it doesn’t have a pilot light until needed with the fan, will any of this matter? They will be attached at different heights, is there any needed separation between the two such as 2” or a 1 ft apart or does that matter?

It shouldnt matter.

Does it matter which heaters is vented higher then the other with them being different styles?

Your natural draft water heater needs to be vented above the fan assist furnace.

What I would like to do is a have a vent straight from the roof down and both heaters attach at a T at a slight upward slope (1/4” per ft) T with a water trap in it.

Vent the water heater into the side of the tee and have the furnace vent into the bottom. Or better yet, have the furnace vent into the the side of a second tee and cap the bottom to collect condensation.

I’m thinking at this moment the vent will be in from the wall around 1 ft to 1 1/2ft. That will make the vent “around”10ft from the peak of the roof, how high does the vent have to go past the peak of the roof?

Typically the chimney needs to terminate 2 foot above anything within 10 foot.

What else should I consider or do?

Call your local inspector and pick his brain. You are very knowledgeable and should have no problems communicating with him/her.

Also the Overhead heater has clearance of 1” top 1” side 18” back , 18” of the side with the access panel and the bottom states 0” Clearance. What I would like to do it put the heater on my mezzanine bolt it 1” off if it so air gets around it. Do you think code would allow this? It would still be around 9 feet of the ground and nobody could accidentally burn them selves. Plus it would match the clearance as per the manufacturer.

I dont see any problem with that at all. Personally Id rather see a bolted down to something its sitting on, versus hanging in the air. Good Luck.

Comment

Wow great job Ruud

I was going to take a stab at this one but you nailed it.

83trekker, you might want to clean your keyboard. I think the question mark key is stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
        According to UMC 2003 Common Vent Capacity 10' of 5" B Vent with 1 fan assist and 1 natural draft appliance will handle 137,000 btu.

So would I then have to goto 6" with my BTU's?

Yes you should try to run B vent as close to each appliance as possible. Here, we need to be within 1 foot of the furnace with B. Definately everything outside should be Class B Double wall.

I know my furance and water heater in my house are deff normal single wall vent to as far as i can see about 4 feet or so, maybe thats old code?

Your natural draft water heater needs to be vented above the fan assist furnace.

Thanks thats really good to know.

Vent the water heater into the side of the tee and have the furnace vent into the bottom. Or better yet, have the furnace vent into the the side of a second tee and cap the bottom to collect condensation.

That is what i want to do is a double open tee the water heater in the top of the tee, heater in the lower opening of the tee and cap the bottom for condensation.

Typically the chimney needs to terminate 2 foot above anything within 10 foot.

Id say my peak of my roof will be around 9-10 feet from the stack so if i go 2 feet above the peak of the garage should be good there.

Call your local inspector and pick his brain. You are very knowledgeable and should have no problems communicating with him/her.

Yes i need to but it is really hard to get in touch with them,ill have to leave a message with them,

I dont see any problem with that at all. Personally Id rather see a bolted down to something its sitting on, versus hanging in the air. Good Luck.
        Thats exactly what I think i can over kill it attached to the roof but the brackets that come with the heater that hold on the brackets are only #5 1/2 screws kind of seems scary to hang from the roof. Saftey first.

Plumberscrack-Ya i think my ? is stuck on the keyboard haha but I really like to find out as much as i can from everywhere before atempting anything.

thanks all and anybody else feel free to coment.

I guess I can repply with quotes very good my anwsers are above in the quote box.
        Last edited by 83trekker; 01-03-2008, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks PC. I had an easy day today and had a little brain power left when I got home. Most every other day I'm out.

Trekker. 6" will definately handle it, but in order to figure it correctly we need to figure out the connector height, and most importantly what codes you guys follow up there. According to my codes it would work with 15' of 5", not 10' though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            Thanks PC. I had an easy day today and had a little brain power left when I got home. Most every other day I'm out.

Trekker. 6" will definately handle it, but in order to figure it correctly we need to figure out the connector height, and most importantly what codes you guys follow up there. According to my codes it would work with 15' of 5", not 10' though.

At a quick thought im thinking 10 feet MAX unless i made a really tall vent out the roof, then it would be like 12 feet of pipe sticking out of the roof, that might be too much.
            Last edited by 83trekker; 01-04-2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Any canucks on here that could help with some Codes please??

Comment

How do you properly attach single wall vent to Bvent, do you have to seal the gap?

I want single wall vent from the heater and The WH to the B Vent Tee then up out of the roof via Bvent.

Comment

Will this work be filed (permit) and inspected? The input ratings you gave, are they from the factory rating plate 0-2000ft? Typically, appliances installed in most areas of Alberta must be derated by 5%. (2200ft) This puts your total BTU input closer to 136 000. An exact figure of your vent height and vent connector rise is needed to properly size your venting system. You are right on the edge of acceptable for (10') 5" B vent with B vent vent connectors(2' rise), if you go with single wall vent connectoers your B vent will have to be 6".
                  You will never expand your mind, if you do not challenge your beliefs.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

Originally posted by Hondahead View Post
                    Will this work be filed (permit) and inspected? The input ratings you gave, are they from the factory rating plate 0-2000ft? Typically, appliances installed in most areas of Alberta must be derated by 5%. (2200ft) This puts your total BTU input closer to 136 000. An exact figure of your vent height and vent connector rise is needed to properly size your venting system. You are right on the edge of acceptable for (10') 5" B vent with B vent vent connectors(2' rise), if you go with single wall vent connectoers your B vent will have to be 6".
                    Yes it will be filed and permit done. The gas fitter whos pulling my permit has the gas line run into the garage and is waiting fianlly placement of the heaters before finishing the gas line and call ig for the inspection. The gas line comming to the garage underground has already been inspected and permit done.

The Btus is coming from the manual for the heater and cant see nothing about 2200ft.The plate off of the water heater lists the input btus at 2000-4500ft.

As for the rise if its true like american code the fan assisted heater must vent below the draft hood WH. at the tee i want them both to go into with a water trap in it.

For the heater Its going to be 1 1/2 ft to the tee EST lenght wise.

The water heater will go up im est 1 1/2 to close to 2 ft and over again approx 2 feet.but will prob slope it from the wh to the tee.

The Bvent will be 8 feet plus how long is a double tee b vent with a cap?

I'm thinking single wall pipe to the tee from both the heaters cause it will be easier to size them up and cut them as it will prob odball sizes to them.

Let me know what you think?
                    Last edited by 83trekker; 01-09-2008, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 83trekker View Post
                      The gas fitter whos pulling my permit has the gas line run into the garage and is waiting fianlly placement of the heaters before finishing the gas line and call ig for the inspection.
                      I am wondering why you wouldn't ask the gasfitter who pulled the permit and ran the gasline to size your venting? After all, he's responsible as he pulled the permit.

Once the appliances' are in place and gasline installed the venting must be complete before inspection.

What about air supply?
                      Last edited by Hondahead; 01-10-2008, 12:13 AM.

By the reading of this post, you acknowledge and agree that the poster shall not be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with use of or reliance on any content contained herein.

Comment

The truth with that is the guys a friend of a friend, he came in had to dig a extra trench ran the gas line and did everything else for dirt cheap. He told me and my buddy who he knows to get the vent in hell look it over finish the gas line call in the inspector. The truth is i dont want to bug him. He told me to go to chesneys to get help on the vent. they could care less to help me. Hes scrambling around right now getting everything done before he takes his family to hawaii. Thats where i sit right now, if i ould only figure out the vent size and figure out if it would all fit in with the heater sitting on the mezzanie i would be set.

Comment

I just got your e mail with the pics, I will send you a reply shortly.

Comment

Working...
                          X