Blower Motor Wiring Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blower Motor Wiring Help

Hi - I hope someone is more knowledgeable than me in reading and understanding wiring diagrams!

I have a EMERSON Motor - Model: K055TFN8713012B for my Coleman furnace. This was a replacement motor as the other one died! The motor techs can be seen here - (you may have to search on their catalog for it)

http://www.emersonmotors.com/products/ecatalog.htm --

My question is that when the motor was connected, I am not sure it was connected properly, as the wire diagram does not match the connections. What I am trying to do is speed up the motor.... There are three different wires for this - Black (hi) , Blue (med), and Red (low). The wiring diagram is here - -

http://apps.motorboss.com/Dimensions/FHP/V01727098.pdf

Long story short is that the tech told me I could hook up the black, blue or Red to the Brown wire that comes from the capacitor. This does not appear to work.

The way it is hooked up now is that the black is actually connected to a wire that goes to the furnace wires (as is the white). The brown is hooked up from the capacitor to the motor. Also connected to the capacitor is a brown w/white stripe wire that goes to the motor. The blue and red are not connected on one end. So my question is, where should the black wire be connected (to the brown wire as the tech said?), and what if I want the Red or blue speed - where do they connect? The Coleman furnace model is 7710-856 (BTU in 95000/BTU out 72000), SN 048365484.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!:

Re: Blower Motor Wiring Help

Whoa! Deja vu!!

Comment

Are there only 2 wires that come from the furnace to the motor? One Black and one white? If so, The white should be hooked to the yellow lead on the motor. (called common or neutral) The black should be hooked to the speed you choose to use. (Looks like you've already hooked it to the highest speed / black) The red and yellow need to be taped off so that they can not contact anything, because if they do, bad stuff will happen. The Brown and Brown/white wires connect to the capacitor.

Now when you start it up, measure the current draw and make sure you are not drawing more amps than the motor is rated for. Make sure the capacitor (you got a new one, right?) is properly secured, and the wires are captured so that they don't look a mess and end up in the blower wheel. Lastly, watch when the blower wheel slows and stops to make sure your motor rotation is correct.

Comment

Thanks for the help. What difference does the motor rotation make?

Comment

Does the speed make a difference in my outcome. In other words, I am thinking the higher the speed, the more the output of hot air. Any ideas? Also, does direction of the blower wheel make a difference? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X