X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappan furnace parts

I have an old Tappan GFA furnace model GLF140B48E5; s/n 75H23373 as best as I can decifer off the stamped tag. I am in need of a couple of parts (burners) and have been unable to find an online supplier that carries stuff that old.Two of the four burners work fine, but the other two apparently have failed and there is a "halo" of gas burning around each burner before it reaches the orfices. I assume there are holes near or at mounting sheet metal screws for each of the two that have corroded through. Plenum appears to be good.
    I need to keep this unit running through the rest of this heating season (southeast WI) and will update it this summer to a more efficient unit. Until then I need to have replacement parts onhand before I remove the first burner to inspect.
    Would appreciate any direction as to where I could get these parts.
    Regards, Mike

Re: Tappan furnace parts

This is the best place around here for odd Tappan parts

http://www.triblesapplianceparts.com

I strongly suggest you have a professional check the unit out or consider replacement sooner than later

Improper combustion can be very dangerous to the untrained eye. What looks like a 'Halo' might be producting high amounts of Carbon Monoxide

Comment

Thanks for your words of caution. I did first notice this by the odor from the chimney exhaust outside not smelling quite right. That's when I opened the furnace and observed the malfunctioning burners. Went to the website you posted and left the information. Hope to hear back by this time tomorrow.

Comment

Please get the furnace checked ASAP! A"halo" around the burners can very well indicate a clogged vent or a blockage at the top of the heat exchanger.
        This means that the furnace exhaust gas, carbon monoxide, is coming back into the furnace area in the house. I have had several instances of burners "haloing" and in one instance the vent pipe, where it entered the chimney, had several dead birds blocking the vent, causing the flue gas to come into the house. Please have it checked to insure your families safety.

Comment

Had a guy come out from the local Bryant dealer and in 2 seconds found a minute crack in the plenum. So now I'm getting a quote from them and two others for a new furnace. No CO found in the house so far, but am not waiting to get this thing out of here.
          Read here or somewhere else that an 80% efficient furnace may be just as cost effective as a higher efficiency unit when you weigh in overall purchase and operation costs. Don't know if that is particularly true or not. Any comments on that? As far as I understood the only installation difference would be a unit over 80% requires a 2" pvc exhaust out the rim joist in the basement and the furnace portion of the chimney would be eliminated, which in this case would not be a major factor.

Comment

I have huge gaping holes in my plenum. Its a crack in the heat exchanger that you need to be worried about.

With an 80% efficient furnace you get 80 cents worth of heat out of every dollar of gas you buy. The other 20 cents goes out the flue. With a 93% furnace, you get 93 cents worth of heat out of every dollar.

You also might check with your local utility company. Here they offer rebates for high efficient equipment. A 92% efficient nets the homeowner $250.

Comment

Ya, I understand the operating efficiency advantages, but if I spend twice as much for a 95 percenter (don't have a clue on pricing yet) that saves me $100 a year in natural gas costs over an 80 percenter how many years will it take for the 95 to pay for itself? That's where I'm coming from.
              The crack is in the heat exchanger. My mistake. Good idea on checking up on the rebate thing. The sales guy probably knows too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M. View Post
                Ya, I understand the operating efficiency advantages, but if I spend twice as much for a 95 percenter (don't have a clue on pricing yet) that saves me $100 a year in natural gas costs over an 80 percenter how many years will it take for the 95 to pay for itself? That's where I'm coming from.
                The crack is in the heat exchanger. My mistake. Good idea on checking up on the rebate thing. The sales guy probably knows too.
                You shouldn't be spending twice as much for a mid 90 furnace over a 80% one. Maybe if you bought all the bells and whistles that went along with it.

I don't know what you pay for natural gas in Wisconsin but your annual savings I believe would be more than several hundred dollars on average.

If the rebate and the added resale value of the house won't convince you then what about reducing your carbon footprint on the planet?

Comment

I asked the first guy to quote 3 furnaces so we'll see how that goes. If I could save a couple hundred bucks a year it would only take five years to pay off a $1000 difference in price for instance. That, for me, would be a no brainer. Gas prices here aren't outragous as in some places I've heard about, but they're still high. About $400 a month in a normal winter season, 1800 sq.ft. living space single story.
                  Carbon footprint. Very good.

Comment

I agree with PC. The additional charge for the 90 shouldnt be double that of the 80. I usually get another 7-800 for the 2 stage 90. That includes a new 5-wire, and 2 stage stat (if its a simple enough pull) and concentric dual venting (where possible). But, I do have a significant upcharge for the Ruud 'Mod' which is usually the cost of an 80 percenter by itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X