Need advice on Aprilaire humidifier installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need advice on Aprilaire humidifier installation

One of the reasons I love Ruud is the well thought out wiring. Besides the hum terminal, if you need to twin two units there are terminals for that also, which saves a whole lot of time and aggravation.
    sigpic

Comment

Here are two photos of the installation. I still need to connect the emergency drain but other than that, it is complete.

Thanks for the help.
      Attached Files

Comment

KHE

You are wise to take Voltage measurements. Did you measure from C to HUM when you got 120 Volts AC? If yes, that's wild. Normally (most hot air furnaces I've ever worked with) it would be 24 Volts AC.

If you really do have 120 Volts then yes to installing a second control transformer. The good part is they don't cost much and one rated at 20 VA should be enough.

Note: Some control transformers have built in fuses or auto reset circuit overload protection. If not, then please add an inline fuse. For a 24 Volt transformer rated at 20 VA a fuse of about 1.5 or 2 Amps would be good and for one rated at 40 VA then go for a 3 or 4 Amp fuse. You can use low Voltage automotive fuses or the very popular size 3AG fuses would be good too.
        Last edited by Woussko; 03-12-2008, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Line voltage humidifier terminals are pretty much industry standard. Certain Carrier and Bryant models have 24 volt humidifier connections, but every other one I have seen has line voltage connections. With the exception of the Ruud Mod which has dry contacts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            Line voltage humidifier terminals are pretty much industry standard. Certain Carrier and Bryant models have 24 volt humidifier connections, but every other one I have seen has line voltage connections. With the exception of the Ruud Mod which has dry contacts.
            I double checked last night and the HUM terminal was definitely 120V. Aren't most if not all humidifier solenoids 24V? If so, why would the furnace manufacturers supply 120V humidifier terminals?

Comment

Aprilaire 400 is an old model of humidifier. The AA600 is the newest. Mounting a by-pass humidifier on the return is the way to go. Other wise when the blower comes on it can blow the water off the pad and you have water leaking on the floor.
              Another reason to mount it on the return is if it fails or the pad plugs up, or the solenoid doesn't turn off it will then run down into the furnace which could rust the heat exchanger or take out the blower.

Comment

Plumberscrack, you accept me cerebration - I could about-face the PVC basin - put the bifold bend at the basal and see if that provides added allowance for the humidifier. The alone affair that would anticipate that from alive is if the bypass aqueduct wouldn't bright the A/C lineset. You are adage that the humidifier will plan best if the armament assemblage is installed on the accumulation adequateness right?

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X