heater inducer motor not running

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: heater inducer motor not running

I'm thinking maybe you have a faulty centrifugal switch. I dont have much experience with centrifugal switches, but I'm real sure it will be a normally open switch, which will close once the inducer starts running. The key here is that the circuit board needs to see that the CS is open before it will attempt to send power to the inducer, just like the operation of a unit with a vent pressure switch. I'm thinking maybe your CS is sticking closed. The circuit boards' need to see the switch open is a safety feature which prevents someone from 'jumpering out' the CS, or a vent pressure switch, if applicable.

My explanation sounds about as 'far out there' as your problem.

Comment

Hi

Thank you so much for your help. I tried several times removing and inserting the connector to make sure it has good contact. It doesn't seem to help. This really looks like a circuit board. Any suggestion where to buy a York circuit board?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Ruudacguy,

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the two CS switch wires going to the circuit board and pull one of the wire out and the motor start. I then put back the wire and normal heating sequence start. Your suggestion is right on the nose. Where do I buy the centrifugal switch for a York heater?

Thanks

Comment

I'm not even sure where I would buy York parts from, let alone in your area.

Whats weird is that your fault code says the CS is open. But yet you are opening the circuit by unplugging one of the wires. This whole thing would make alot more sense if the fault code said the CS was stuck closed.

Now I'm not so sure you dont have a circuit board issue.

Unplug the CS wires and probe them for continuity with the inducer motor not spinning, then again with it spinning. I'm not sure spinning it by hand will close the CS, you might have to put power to it. Or better yet, call a licensed contractor. If it is just the CS, it shouldnt cost much at all.

Comment

I think that Ruudacguy is most likely correct that this seems like a bad circuit board.

Can you please post a picture of the inducer motor? I have yet to see one on any residential furnace that would have a centrifical starting switch inside it. The motors I've seen are either shaded pole or split capacitor type and thus don't have a starting switch. I'm at a loss as to where you could buy the circuit board at a reasonable price unless you can find a good YORK dealer in your area and maybe make friends with the owner there.

Comment

Woussko, the CS doesnt start the inducer, it proves to the PCB that the inducer did indeed start. From there the PCB can initiate the rest of the start-up and run sequence.

Right now Im about 80/20. 80% CS failure, 20% PCB.

Comment

Hi Ruudacguy,

How can I confirm if it's circuit board or CS switch? I was able to remove the inducer motor from the HVAC and confirm the switch is located at the bottom of the motor. However I opened it last weekend and did not checked the switch. I will check the switch tomorrow to see if it is stuck on open or close. Could spinning the inducer motor cause the CS switch to open or close?

Thanks

Comment

Hi Ruudacguy,

I checked the Ohm reading across the CS switch when the motor was running and when it flashes the error code. The Ohms meter shows 2.3 when the motor is running and shows 7.6 Ohms with the error code. Looks like the CS switch is stuck on close. Does this prove unequivocally the problem is the CS switch?

Now the really really hard part, where and how to buy the CS switch for my York HVAC?

Thanks

Comment

The ohm readings dont tell me anything. Does your meter have a diode check that will beep or flash when the 2 leads are connected together? We are just trying to determine if and when the CS is either opening or closing.

Comment

Hi Ruudacguy,

Yes, the two leads are connected while the inducer motor running and when the error code is blinking. Looks like the two wires are always connected and never open.

Thanks

Comment

Woussko heads to Woussko Hut and will shut up on this thread. I had something totally different in mind regarding the "CS" but now I get it. Ruud is much better at this than I am. Woussko -

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                          Woussko heads to Woussko Hut and will shut up on this thread. I had something totally different in mind regarding the "CS" but now I get it. Ruud is much better at this than I am. Woussko -
                          Youre not leaving now, Were not even done yet.

York, I'm not talking about the leads of the CS, im talking about your meter leads checking whether the CS is opening and closing when it should. You really should consider calling a pro. A good tech could have this knocked out in a half hour.

Comment

LOL...Ruud true that.
                            I'm curious...any reason why the CS couldn't just be jumped to see if that IS the trouble?...thinking in terms of boiler safeties here....

Comment

Thats true Duck, on any type of temperature limit you can just jumper it out. Every flue inducer safety I have ever seen has to prove both open and closed though. Jumpering it out will only prove closed. All it is, is a simple circuit that shows a change of state when the inducer turns on. The PCB will see this circuit as either open or closed without a call for heat. Upon a call for heat, the CS will either open or close letting the PCB know something happened, and voila, the PCB is content to continue on with the rest of the process.

Indoor gas furnaces have a vent pressure switch which will be normally open. When the furnace is off, the switch will be open. The PCB will need to see the pressure switch open before it will send power to the inducer. If the pressure switch it stuck closed, or jumpered, it will not send power to the inducer.

The next thing that can happen is a pressure switch which sticks open. There, power will be sent to the inducer, but the PCB will not initiate the rest of the start-up sequence because the pressure switch did not close.

Comment

Hi Ruddacguy,

Sorry, I was unclear. The CS stay close all the time.

Thanks,

Comment

Working...
                                X