Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heater inducer motor not running

Hi,

I have a York Stellar Single package heating and air conditioning (D3GA024N04206A) unit that fail to start. The circuit board LED blink 4 times which mean "Flue inducer centrifugal switch open". If I spin the inducer motor blade then the heater will start working. It will work for a couple of days and eventually the inducer motor will stop working again and need another blade spin. Does this mean the inducer motor is bad or something else cheaper?

Thanks

Re: heater inducer motor not running

If the motor has a capacitor (some do, some don't) then you may be able to get lucky and get away with only replacing a capacitor. In my experience, though, you'll end up replacing the whole induced draft blower in the near future.

Comment

Sorry but you need a new motor
      sigpic

Comment

Try connecting and leaving a test light to the motor connections. This way if it should be running but isn't you have an easy to see if power is being applied to the motor. If it is, you may as well figure on replacement.

Note: Use a low Wattage light bulb like 10 Watts or a neon test light. An analog (pointer type) AC Volt Meter would work too.

Comment

Some inducer motors needs to be oiled. I'm not familiar with your particular one but you might find 1 or 2 very small oil ports on the motor. One at the back end and maybe one next to fan. Most people never oil them although some manu. tell you every 6 months. Might buy you some time but most likely needs to be replaced.

Comment

I am so glad to find a site that answer my question. Really appreciate your help.

It seems the inducer motor does not have a capacitor. I checked the voltage going to the inducer motor from the circuit board and I don't see any voltage. However if I spin the inducer fan a couple of times then I see 240 voltage and the motor starts up. Is this a problem with the circuit board relay switch not applying the voltage to the inducer motor or the inducer motor being bad and the circuit board not being able to turn it on?

Thanks

Comment

If it were the relay, simply spinning the blower wouldn't intiate the motor.
              The posts above have it covered, either lubricate it...or replace it.
              You could also try testing the voltage at the motor when a T-stat is turned on, but again...the blower runs with a simple push start, it has juice.
              The posts above have it covered, my money's on the motor on it's way out.

Comment

240 Volts AC for a draft inducer motor??? This is a residential gas fired furnace, right? The only time I have seen a 240 Volt draft inducer motor is on large commercial boilers. Some are 3 phase and some single phase.

If you're comfortable working on this, try first shutting off power to the furnace and to play it safe close the gas valve too. Then disconnect the power wires for the draft inducer motor and put wire nuts on the ends of them. Next try to rig up a power cord so you can apply 120 Volts AC directly to the motor when you plug in the cord. Be sure to use wire nuts so you can't have things short out. Plug it in quick and if it does anything other than run nice, pull the plug fast. My bet is that it starts up and runs nice. If it does nothing, or just growls, then pull the plug and figure on replacing the motor. The above test is to be sure you do in fact have 120 Volts AC power right at the motor power connection which should be 2 wires. You need not worry about color codes other than never connect power to a green grounding wire. Most likely the motor has 2 black wires coming out of it.

Before you do this test, are there any other wires coming out of the motor? If no, then please try the test. If yes, then please tell more before trying the test.

Question: When you spin the motor does it spin easy and coast to a stop or is it real thick feeling?
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-23-2008, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Thank you for the reply and I did what you suggested. The motor spin with ease and slow to a smooth stop. I rigged up the inducer motor to 240 VAC straight from the HVAC unit and the inducer motor start right up. This really proves the motor still works if 240VAC voltage is put across the terminals.

I notice a bad 10uF 370VAC large round capacitor. Not certain if this capacitor is for the inducer motor. Should I replace the capacitor anyway?

It seems the problem is the circuit board since the voltage to the inducer motor from the circuit board is not 240VAC unless I spin the inducer motor blade. Is the relay stuck? I still don't understand why spinning the inducer motor cause the relay to kick in and put 240VAC to the inducer motor. Has the motor degrade to a point whereby the relay can't switch?

Any suggestion which parts I should replace first, the circuit board or inducer motor?

Five years ago I replaced the circuit board and the board cost around $100 from the local HVAC store. Now I can't buy the board since I am NOT an HVAC contractor. I checked the internet and the board now cost $269. Anyone an HVAC contractor can check how much a circuit board cost for this York model number D3GA024N04206A?

Thanks

Comment

If there is no voltage at the board terminals of the inducer fan, the relay on the board may be defective. You will have to replace the board if this is the problem. On a call for heat, the inducer fan motor is the first item energized. Then the pressure switch is activated by the pressure from the fan. Then 24V. is sent down stream to start the cycle.

Comment

In a case where if you hand spin the motor, does it growl before you spin it? If yes, then I would sure try replacing the capacitor.

Do you have any good and easy way to post some pictures?

If the motor does start up well during the test where you apply power to the motor directly, that does seem like a bad relay or circuit board. Can you locate the power relay? If yes you might (Be sure power is totally off) try using some very fine sandpaper and clean the contacts with it. If you have one, you could maybe use a "Breaker Points" file. Good auto parts stores sell them. This would depend on what type of relay you have.

The capacitor shouldn't cost much to buy and replace so I would give it a try. Make sure to note the connections carefully. Look in your yellow pages under electric motor repair and rewinding. If you can buy from WW Grainger they sell them as catalog # 2GE79 but they are a PITA to deal with unless you have an account setup. Some good appliance parts dealers may well sell motor capacitors so it might be an idea to make a few calls before heading out. Does your capacitor look about like the one in the picture other than ratings?

Specs for 2GE79: Motor Run Capacitor, MFD Rating 10, Voltage 370, 60/50 Hz, Oval, Height 2 7/8 In, Width 2 3/16 In, Depth 1 5/16 In, EIA UL Base A, 1/4 In Male Terminals, Temp Range -40 to 69 C (online priced at $6.29 each)

If your capacitor looks like the second black one, please check the values again on it. The oval can type is a motor run capacitor and the specs are fine but normally the round type (like black one) are motor starting and will have a lower Voltage rating and much high MFD ratings. In any case it's a good idea to try new ones as they don't cost much, are easy to change and if bad will cause trouble.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Woussko; 02-24-2008, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Just a wild idea but when the motor is connected up and should start, if you can locate the relay try a few taps with a plastic rod or wood dowel. Nothing metal.

If you can, try to get some good pictures of the circuit board and any relays on it. Note numbers too if you can.

Comment

Hi,

Attach are the pictures of capacitors and circuit board. The circuit board number is 100-825-04 and the capacitor spec is as follow:
                          10uF 370VAC, +06 -06% 50/60Hz, 97F9002

Thanks
                          Attached Files

Comment

Let's see if anyone comes back with info on the circuit board. As for the capacitor, I would try hard to obtain a new one (take old along with you) and install it. I sure don't see any heavy duty relays on the circuit board, but then an inducer motor (if anything like what I have in mind) wouldn't draw that much current. You need to be sure the connector (both parts) have clean contacting surfaces. Try inserting it and pulling it straight out and then inserting it several times. Then leave it in and see if that helped.

Comment

Hi

Thank you so much for your help. I tried several times removing and inserting the connector to make sure it has good contact. It doesn't seem to help. This really looks like a circuit board. Any suggestion where to buy a York circuit board?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X