Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My boiler is short cycling

Originally posted by zuffy View Post
    I am not aware of any safety issue other than the relief value which was resolved long before I started this thread.
    Exactly, just as simple as a UNIX system...just push buttons and it works on its own.

There are just too many HVAC techs in NYC to know which one is good. As I stated before, I have a master plumber next door, whom license # is in the low hundreds, that doesn't seem to want to help. Maybe it's neighborphobia. That is my problem unless someone can refer one.
    Are you asking him to do it free?
    Very common for plumbers to avoid neighbors for this reason.

I still don't understand why someone can tell me a simple yes or no if that is how a normal steam boiler suppose to work. Is it a liability issue?
    Lets say that the problem turned out to be an issue with your gas valve not working right...you could have a potential CO problem, explosion waiting, or fire hazard.
    Although your sure you've described every nook and crevice in detail, it's just impossible to know that your interpetation is the correct interpretation.

Comment

Exactly, just as simple as a UNIX system...just push buttons and it works on its own.
      Nothing is. You are using worst case scenario.

Are you asking him to do it free?
      Very common for plumbers to avoid neighbors for this reason.
      Absolutely NOT. I know the feeling when friends and family members asking me for computer help. When I asked him to replace my water heater, I didn't ask his rate first, I ask if he wanted the job and then asked the rate.

Lets say that the problem turned out to be an issue with your gas valve not working right...you could have a potential CO problem, explosion waiting, or fire hazard.
      Very true but it's getting to the worst case scenario situation. I have a CO sensor about 10' away so if there is a potential CO problem, I would hope the CO sensor would alert me.

Although your sure you've described every nook and crevice in detail, it's just impossible to know that your interpetation is the correct interpretation.
      Yes, very possible. Just like I don't expect a common person to know all the correct terminology when explaining a computer problem.

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
        come on wussy. I love these long threads they really hold your attention. Let's go up a couple and fight over flat rate pricing. That one's been going on for months

OK NH Master Ill take the bait, are you a f.r. or t&m guy. Hopefully a f.r. guy

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          OK NH Master Ill take the bait, are you a f.r. or t&m guy. Hopefully a f.r. guy
          I like either as long as I get my money
          sigpic

Comment

Got a plumber to come in. He installed a Gorton no. 1 main air vent. Cleaned the burner, flush boiler, checked the pressuretrol, pigtail, low water feeder, damper, flameout safety, and put some steam cleaner stuff in the boiler.

He said the pitch I did for the master bedroom is good. If there is still water hammering, it will be the pipe under the floor. So far, I haven't heard it and it normally happens 7-10 minutes after the heat is on. It has been over 40 minutes already, nothing so far so that is a good sign.

Comment

What did he say was the cause of the short cycling?

Comment

I told him about the boiler was short cycling and then I changed the cph in the thermostat. After the service was done he fired up the burner. The burner was running continueously for awhile until it hits 2 psi and then stop to cool and refire again. He said that is normal.

Comment

I told him about the boiler was short cycling and then I changed the cph in the thermostat. After the service was done he fired up the burner. The burner was running continueously for awhile until it hits 2 psi and then stop to cool and refire again. He said that is normal.
                  And what did I say, way way back at the beginning of this thread.?
                  I love being right
                  sigpic

Comment

Other than the pressuretrol set a little higher than .5 but not 2, it was the cph changed that made the difference.

Comment

• Re: My boiler is short cycling

Iirc, the boiler did the exact same thing with the thermostat jumpered out, as it did with it hooked up.

From what I read:

Got a plumber to come in. He installed a Gorton no. 1 main air vent.
                      This is the only thing that has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                        Iirc, the boiler did the exact same thing with the thermostat jumpered out, as it did with it hooked up.

From what I read:

This is the only thing that has changed.
                        You are exactly right, that is the only thing that changed (Main Vent)

If the OP now puts the cph back to 3 he will now not have the original problem. The problem want the t-stat, as shown when he replaced the stat, it worked the same way until he lowered the cph. If he now puts it back to 3 the problem will not be back.

Comment

Must be lost in translation. The t-stat was original at 6 when I noticed the problem. I changed it to 3 as stated when I started this thread. Later on, I changed it to 1 and did not noticed a difference but I kept it there since that is the suggested setting from the Honeywell installation manual.

With the main air vent installed, it's operating the same since the cph changed at the start of this thread, minus the the burner stopping at psi 2 now instead of psi 3 after the pressuretrol adjustment.

Comment

Forgot to mention. I only crossed the t-stat wires after I started this thread, which was then comparing to the t-stat set at cph 3. If I have never changed the cph from 6 before the thread, then obviously, there would be a difference if I crossed the t-stat wires.

Comment

THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE AIR VENTS AIR AND STEAM CANNOT OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE AT THE SAME TIME!!! the boiler is cycling because of bad air vents when the boiler fires after sitting cold for a while it runs longer to push some steam up into the radiators then it goes out on high pressure because of air not escaping fast enough the boiler only runs for short periods of time afterwards because some condensate hangs up and makes the problem worse. replace all the air vents. Last but not least
                              CALL A REAL STEAM GUY, it may take some searching but look for a old timer that has installed steam systems from the boiler to the highest radiator in the house. he should be able to figure out the problem as soon as he sees a full heat cycle, you might also learn something.
                              "Do it so you can go to sleep at night."

Comment

Pipe that Damn relief valve down before someone gets hurt and Level out your pressuretrol.........

Comment

Working...
                                X