Carrier Infinity coil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carrier Infinity coil

Have 2 yr old Carrier Infinity system - heat and AC. 5 ton. AC won't cool. Dring, authorized Carrier dealer/service in Dallas, said leak in coil, which is under warranty. Warranty covers coil but Dring is quoting $1250 labor to replace. How "reasonable" is this?? Today charged $714 for servcie call, leak tet and 14-lbs Puron.

Comments and help...please.

Re: Carrier Infinity coil

Carrier should be offering a labor credit on a leaky coil. Its kinda hard to discuss price because every market is different. Here, your prices would be on the high side. In Dallas, that might be as cheap as they come. We dont know.

I would contact the local Carrier distributor and the factory as well. If you were my customer and bought a high-end system from me, there would be minimal charge to you, even after 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by yrose View Post
      Have 2 yr old Carrier Infinity system - heat and AC. 5 ton. AC won't cool. Dring, authorized Carrier dealer/service in Dallas, said leak in coil, which is under warranty. Warranty covers coil but Dring is quoting $1250 labor to replace. How "reasonable" is this?? Today charged $714 for servcie call, leak tet and 14-lbs Puron.

Comments and help...please.

If system is under warranty why were you charged to locate the leak? $1250 labor is high even by NY standards. The time is minimal to swap the coil, and you shouldnt have to pay for any other material, just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
        If system is under warranty why were you charged to locate the leak? $1250 labor is high even by NY standards. The time is minimal to swap the coil, and you shouldnt have to pay for any other material, just my opinion.
        I got thinking about this and at first though the price kind of high, but then if you think about it, it's going to take a couple hrs to remove the old coil and install the new one. Then the whole system has to be nitrogen filled and pressure tested. Then vacc'd down which will take a couple hrs. Filled and checked. it's probably an all day job and then you have the 14lbs of puron which aint cheap either. so all an all it may be a tad high but not out of the ball park. I'm sort of wondering why the repair is'nt covered if the unit is only 2 years old and the part is defective.? Never been much of a Carrier fan and this does nothing to convince me I should change my opinion.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          I got thinking about this and at first though the price kind of high, but then if you think about it, it's going to take a couple hrs to remove the old coil and install the new one. Then the whole system has to be nitrogen filled and pressure tested. Then vacc'd down which will take a couple hrs. Filled and checked. it's probably an all day job and then you have the 14lbs of puron which aint cheap either. so all an all it may be a tad high but not out of the ball park. I'm sort of wondering why the repair is'nt covered if the unit is only 2 years old and the part is defective.? Never been much of a Carrier fan and this does nothing to convince me I should change my opinion.
          My thinking was that the manufacturer should pick up all the costs associated with the replacement (new coil, refrigerant,fittings, etc.) I guess I could be wrong. I think your being very lenient on the swap out time of the coil though being it doesnt have to be pumped down and all, and you should be able to see any leaks if any when you pull the vaccuum. I thinks it's high, but not way overpriced.

Comment

Of course that's without seeing it. It could be in a nasty place to get to. And yes, I think Carrier should cover most if not all of the repair.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X