X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• space for Gas boiler

Thinking about switch from oil to gas. Just bought a house it has an old oil boiler and need some repairs. gas is already available to this house. I am in MA. few questions:

1. does gas cheaper than oil in terms of hot water heating?
    2. what is the minimun space required for a gas boiler? Does 26"x56" big enough? (expected to gain some extra spaces for our basement family room, right now the oil tank and oil boiler take 2/5 of its space.)
    3. if we move the gas boiler to other place, does it must require a chimney for its exhaust.

thanks,
    Last edited by lmei007; 04-26-2008, 02:33 PM.

Re: space for Gas boiler

I sincerely hope you're not planning to install your own boiler.
    Gas is generally more efficient than oil, have some contractors come in and quote you for "condensing" boilers if you're looking for substantial fuel savings...warning...they're not cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
      I sincerely hope you're not planning to install your own boiler.
      that is one of many things that I know I cannot do it. But I want to plan ahead. I just want to have fully control on what to do and how to do it on our home projects to avoid money waste. If we have spent money and time but not happy with it later, that will be terrible.

Comment

If we do the conversion to gallons (instead of therms) 1 gallon of #2 fuel oil is good for about 140,000 btu's, while the same amount of natural gas will only get you about 89,000 btu's. That said the gas equipment, in order to be competitive is going to have to make up that 50,000 btu's somehow. There are many very good gas units capable of 90% plus efficiency. However there are a bunch of oil units capable of the very high 80 % range. Now you have to gather fuel prices for your area and then do the conversion to figure if it's worth changing equipment and fuel.
        sigpic

Comment

Around here oil used to be the better bang, but no more. Now it's gas. As for the cost, I can often (depending on how big it has to be) do a 94% within $1000 of the cost of an 82% cast iron boiler. That's because the cost has gone up so much on the CI ones mostly, but also because a big part of the efficiency is sizing it smaller and closer to the actual heat loss. The cast boilers needed to heat a little quicker and really need a minimum temp of 140. With the newer models, temps can run much lower, and they modulate the flame output to match your actual heat loss on any given day. No more burner on full, burner off. There footprint (room needed) is smaller too. We quite often build shelves or racks for them. Slant Fin has a new one out I'ld like to try sometime, but we're pretty locked in to Knight and Munchkin right now. Both good boilers, if installed correctly and with primary/secondary piping. And they're quiet.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

What ever you end up doing whether or not you go with gas or oil that space sounds pretty small.Make sure you either go with a sealed combustion boiler or make sure you provide enough make-up air usually with a fan in-a-can to bring in outside air.

Comment

Working...
            X