X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just goes "POOF"!!!!???

I have a Rheem Imperial 80 plus furnace. It all seems to be running fine until the burners try to light. The hot plate comes on and about 20 seconds later it goes "POOF". Its very unsettling. Like there is a small gas build up and POOF. The blower and everything else seems to be fine.

Does anyone have a ideas? Cracked heat exchanger?
    Last edited by Grn95gt; 05-21-2008, 04:35 PM.

Re: It just goes "POOF"!!!!???

Originally posted by Grn95gt View Post
    I have a Rheem Imperial 80 plus furnace. It all seems to be running fine until the burners try to light. The hot plate comes on and about 20 seconds later it goes "POOF". Its very unsettling. Like there is a small gas build up and POOF. The blower and everything else seems to be fine.

Does anyone have a ideas? Cracked heat exchanger?
    The blower shouldnt come on until the unit has reached temperature. If the blower is coming on before the unit reaches temperature it could be a fuseable link, maybe one of the roll-outs?

Comment

Fuseable link I know of, but what is a "rollout"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one small blower should come on at start-up to vent. Then, once the burners light the main blower should come on.

And thanks Masterplumb

Comment

The draft inducer motor starts first. After purge cycle the hsi (hot surface ignition) is activated. The hsi establishes pilot ignition. The pilot ignites the burners.

If there is no ignition of the pilot I would start looking at gas delivery problems first. (valves, shut off, bad regulator, dirt in the gas valve) Then if all is ok and you have gas (at the proper volume and pressure) at the gas valve then I would check the gas pressure on the pilot outlet of the valve. If there's pressure at the pilot line then check that the pilot orifice is not plugged. If it is clen it out but do not enlarge it any. (be carefull) If after all this you still get no satisfaction, the gas valve is most likely bad. Make sure all switches are on and there is continuity through the wiring too the gas valve.
        sigpic

Comment

Ribbon burners or inshot burners?

My guess would be dirty burners (ribbon style) or Igniter misaligned (inshot)

Low gas pressure is a possibility, but less common.

Comment

Whats the model and serial numbers?

Comment

Been avoiding this thread in fear someone was commenting on my love life.

Comment

Come on now Mr Butter!( I don't know you well enough to call you Duck) You the missus and a couple of Essex tubs and we have a commercial!

Comment

Working...
                X