X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the blower in the house a single speed? ASX18

I just got an Amana ASX18 and the blower seems to be on high when it turns on. Should it be 2 speeds? If so is the low speed real low or close to high?
    Last edited by JWMustang; 05-29-2008, 12:25 AM.

Re: Is the blower in the house a single speed? ASX18

ASX18 is the condenser model. (outdoors)
    What is the model of the air handler ? (Indoor unit)

Comment

MBE2000AA-1BA. Is that AMANA or Goodman?

Comment

Condensor-AZ5180601
        Fan-CA1F4860D6

If the air handler is Goodman & Outside is Amana will it void the warranty, will it work properly?

Comment

As long as they are an ARI match, they will work fine.
          Goodman and Amana are the same company. Amana is considered the premium brand and usually has a little better warranty.
          For a while, the company only offered one (of each model) air handler and didn't differentiate between Amana or Goodman. I'm not sure if that is still true.
          The MBE blower module is a variable speed model.
          It will ramp the blower speed up and down throughout the cooling cycle to give you the correct CFM for your given conditions.
          There are several dip switch settings that need to be set up so that everything works properly. Hopefully your contractor knew what he was doing.
          I've never worked with one of these, but I have the instructions so I could probably figure it out if I had to.

Comment

I dont think they set it correct since the speed always sounds high to me.
            I have heatpump,dual compressor and heat strips. I have MBE/MBR Blower cabinet Installation Instructions. Which settings should it be set to?
            Thank You

Comment

Originally posted by JWMustang View Post
              I dont think they set it correct since the speed always sounds high to me.
              I have heatpump,dual compressor and heat strips. I have MBE/MBR Blower cabinet Installation Instructions. Which settings should it be set to?
              Thank You
              I dont do much work on air handlers anymore, but I believe you can change the motor speed from the board. There should be a spot on the board from hi, medium, and low speed. At least there use to be that adjustment.

Comment

Ok the switch only has #4 on, all others are off. Also If I set the fan on the therm. to ON the blower is very low (you can hardly hear it). If I set it to AUTO it runs high (loud). The temp difference is only one degree from the setting so I would think there should be no reason for the fan to run high.
                I would think it should run low when temp difference is only one degree and run higher when it cant keep up to the temp setting.

Comment

It might be time to call in a professional. To adjust the blower speed you must read the wiring diagram and see which lead is for the high, medium and low fans settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                    It might be time to call in a professional. To adjust the blower speed you must read the wiring diagram and see which lead is for the high, medium and low fans settings.

This is not your father's air handler. These ECM motors you set for desired CFM, and the brain ramps the motor speed up and down accordingly. There is also a mode for dehumidification, where it will run at low speed for a longer time (5 minutes?) before ramping up to higher speed. You have a 4 ton condenser, and you need to move 400CMF (0f air) per ton, so there should be some combination of dip switches that will give you 1600 CFM. I think you might also need to know the duct static to set it up correctly. I have sat through a class on these, and we sell Amana products, but we've stayed away from the variable speed ones.

I think you should call the installer back and have him explain the operation and make sure it's set up right.

Comment

Originally posted by Kneescar View Post
                      This is not your father's air handler. These ECM motors you set for desired CFM, and the brain ramps the motor speed up and down accordingly. There is also a mode for dehumidification, where it will run at low speed for a longer time (5 minutes?) before ramping up to higher speed. You have a 4 ton condenser, and you need to move 400CMF (0f air) per ton, so there should be some combination of dip switches that will give you 1600 CFM. I think you might also need to know the duct static to set it up correctly. I have sat through a class on these, and we sell Amana products, but we've stayed away from the variable speed ones.

I think you should call the installer back and have him explain the operation and make sure it's set up right.
                      My fathers air handler was his younger brother waving a paper fan in his face I guess that why they say a little knowledge will kill ya.

Comment

Working...
                      X