No announcement yet.

Kicking my butt ( challenge with Pics)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicking my butt ( challenge with Pics)

Hello all,

Well it was 105 degrees today and I short circuited trying to work this out, I ran out of patience...

Situation:

Replace RUDD 60K BTU Heatpump with Payne 60K BTU Heatpump.

Furnace to Condenser is 4 wire...

The replacement went fine until t-stat wiring time I could not get the order worked out to save my A$$... ( See Pics)

My best guess is that RUDD Heat pump is non energized reversing valve for cooling... The Payne is energized in cooling. T-Stat set in cooling is only giving me 24 V between Tan and Yellow at the condenser. I guess I have a change to make at the T-stat. ( I currently have the unit running by picking up the 24 V for the RV off the coil lead?)

(I have the old unit on the truck if you want where the leads were hooked up on the old condenser.)

Here are the Pics:

Furnace View:

Condenser Views:

Re: Kicking my butt ( challenge with Pics)

Yep, Bill, it's a T-stat issue. I would replace it with something digital with the proper connections.
    sigpic

Comment

Shoulda stuck with Ruud. The Payne energizes the reversing valve in cooling? Seriously? Surely that cant be right. What does the "B" terminal do then? The only thing in your pics that I cant see are the denotations for the wires off the PCB at the condensor. Also, what are those red and white wires for that you have capped off in your last pic?

Andy

Comment

Ruud - Is it me or if you look through the pics the blue is connected at the t stat but capped at the comp. Yes? Also the orange wire from the comp is wired to the yellow?
        sigpic

Comment

The blue will either go to W or W2 for heatpump mode. After thinking about it, the PCB will either energize or de-energize the reversing valve so it really doesnt matter if its energized in cooling or heating. Its just important to get the correct wires from the control to the condensor. Can you post a schematic for the condensor?

Comment

Here is info I have on hand... Will have to wait until monday for the full condenser schm ( I can't get it online for some reason?). The more I look at this the more confussed I'm making myself ( The way I have it currently wired to work is a total rig-job and should not be taken as anywhere near proper...)

I have never had a HP give me problems like this...

Red and White are comming from Defrost control board ( see pics and schm) I have them capped ( along with the others)because I can't decide where to hook them up

Ruudacguy: I'm pretty sure that Ruud and Rheem energize RV in a different sequence / position than everyone else ( not sure why I'm thinking it though)...

Here is the useful info from the Install Manual...

Comment

You need to use the "O" terminal instead of the "B" at the stat, Bill. "B" energizes the changeover valve in heating, and "O" energizes in cooling. You will also need a 5-wire from the fan coil to the condensor. (Looks like you might have that already though) and a 6 conductor from the fan coil to the stat. Then, wire it up exactly like that schematic shows. "R" from the stat and "R" from the condensor will hook to "R" at the fan coil. The same thing with "C" and W2". "Y" from the stat and the condensor can just be wire nutted together at the fan coil. Same thing with "O". "G" from the stat will hook to "G" at the fan coil.

If you do decide to update the stat. The Honeywell VisionPro 8000 has a O/B terminal that can be configured for either in the installers menu. Its an expensive controller, but the menus are easy to surf and it has a 5 year warranty. I am in the mercury stat changeout mode. Whenever I run across one I change it out and recycle it through Honeywell so the mercury gets disposed of properly. Just my opinion though.

Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy!

I'm a big fan of the Honeywell 8000, I put one in my house 2 months ago.. The touchscreen is great!

I'm going to go back to the customers house Tuesday using your advice to make it work.

A fresh set of eyes makes all the difference

Comment

Be sure to keep track of how many transformers you burn up by following my wiring diagram.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X