X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why hacks shouldnt be allowed to touch sheet metal

About 3 this afternoon I started on a low-boy tearout. I went there to remeasure but decided to go ahead and get it ripped out while I was there. Anyway, some hack at some point in time had hacked a hole in the furnace for a 12-2 romex that ran from the combination fan-limit up to a spst switch. The switch was used to turn the blower on. If that isnt crazy enough, it looks like they used a claw hammer to cut the hole in the sheet metal jacket of the furnace. Long story short, it got me. The worst cut I have ever had in my life. Took 4 staples. Man I was pissed off.

Andy
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ruudacguy; 06-02-2008, 10:15 PM. Reason: spelling

Re: Why hacks shouldnt be allowed to touch sheet metal

Oh man,I am sorry that had to happen to you.

Comment

****in' Hacks!

Did those stables hurt when they put em in?
      Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

I clicked the pic first, for a sec I thought it was some form of extreme body piercing.
        That's an ugly gash..real ugly.

Comment

I know what you mean Duck, its kinda hard to figure out. The cut is on the bottom of my forearm.

Aaron, the staples pinched a little, thats it. At first. But fifteen minutes later on the way home, holy mother of god did it hurt. The cut didnt hurt at all. I wrapped it in a paper towel and some 33+ electrical tape and finished the tearout. I dropped the scrap off at the shop then headed home where I washed it out before heading to the ER, and that was pretty painful. The worst pain by far was on the way home after the staples.

It feels fine now though. Im just glad it wasnt on my hand or somewhere important.

Thanks guys
          Andy

Comment

Fish hooks, gotta love them. That's a bad one for sure.
            Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Why is it that the repair hurts way more than the injury? I hope it heals up well for you and keep it clean. Good luck trying to keep from bumping it.

Comment

Oh man. Sorry. On the plus side I loved the title of you thread.

Eli
                A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Ouch ouch ouch

Comment

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa Does'nt hurt, it's only a flesh wound. I'll fight you with me one good arm.

Seriously though, that looks painfull. Hope it's not slowing you down too much.
                    sigpic

Comment

well you will heal up and will do it again some day thats the nature of sheet metal .
                      1 year a go i put my hand in a big box to take out a sheet metal grill box and the edge of a box sliced through my middle finger knuckle and cut the tendon ,my finger dropped .i put pressure on it and a band aid on it ,not much blood or pain .i went to doc and had it put back together then the pain started .

thats the life with sheet metal
                      Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                      http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                      http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Re: Why hacks shouldn't be allowed to touch sheet metal

Why does it always hurt more in the doctors office?

I cut the end of my finger off on a table saw and after I saw the nurse practitioner I would have rather just wrapped it in gauze and hoped for the best.

It seems the medical field has no time to deal with pain.

Hope that heals up quick. How do they get the staples out. Screwdriver?
                        Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Man, I've been a tinknocker for over 40 yrs and that is a nasty one.
                          Not the worst I've ever seen but a bad one.
                          Those staples look worse than the cut!

Comment

I had a PVC hub reamer on the old Milwaukee magnum drill hop out of the hub and catch my long sleeve shirt and tear my arm up real good. At the time I was in college and was hoping the campus counselor wouldn't see them an think I was into cutting or something. I was too busy to fix it so I just let it bleed. Doctors are for wusses.

Comment

"How do they get the staples out. Screwdriver?"

440 Channelocks. A Plumbers best friend.
                              ---------------
                              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                              ---------------
                              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                              ---------
                              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                              ---------
                              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X