X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shutting down furnace for summer months

I have a New Yorker oil burner that feeds both hot water to my radiators and also supplies domestic hot water. Due to the high fuel costs, I installed an electric water heater in parallel with the furnace. I planned to shut off the furnace but at the last minute, decided to call the oil company to see if there were any precautions to take. I was told not to shut off the furnace but to run it at 100 degrees to keep condensation from forming and also to prevent seals from leaking.

I got a second opinion after receiving a reply from the manufacturer stating that by turning it off, I would void any warranties and also that the furnace is steel and not designed for cold starting.

What is cold starting and does this information sound accurate? Obviously this takes away much of any savings I was counting on by running both electric and having to keep the furnace running.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Shutting down furnace for summer months

Originally posted by chains350 View Post
    I have a New Yorker oil burner that feeds both hot water to my radiators and also supplies domestic hot water. Due to the high fuel costs, I installed an electric water heater in parallel with the furnace. I planned to shut off the furnace but at the last minute, decided to call the oil company to see if there were any precautions to take. I was told not to shut off the furnace but to run it at 100 degrees to keep condensation from forming and also to prevent seals from leaking.

I got a second opinion after receiving a reply from the manufacturer stating that by turning it off, I would void any warranties and also that the furnace is steel and not designed for cold starting.

What is cold starting and does this information sound accurate? Obviously this takes away much of any savings I was counting on by running both electric and having to keep the furnace running.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Cold starting is when the boiler fires up to heat room temperature water.

I havent done many steel boilers, I use cast iron. What is the model number of your New Yorker?

Comment

My New Yorker furnace model number is FR98/122-W. Please let me know if this is steel or cast iron. I talk with tons of people that shut off their furnace without any issues. Is there different gaskets used? I heard that one person had a leak in his furnace when the oil ran out and it cooled but sealed once heated again.

Right now, I've turned down the auqastat to keep the water at 100 degrees +/-. If I can't shut it down, will this temperature be hot enough to keep me out of trouble?

I appreciate your help. Thanks!

Comment

I resorted to a little known technique for finding in-depth information...it's called a "web search".
        You can actually type in words into a "web browser" and research manufacturers through their "web site" on the "internet".

Try it out....type the phrase "New Yorker furnace" into your own browser.

I almost started reading the specs, but I figured you might find it more enjoyable.

I think you should listen to what the licensed professional tells you, or call the manufacturer yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by chains350 View Post
          My New Yorker furnace model number is FR98/122-W. Please let me know if this is steel or cast iron. I talk with tons of people that shut off their furnace without any issues. Is there different gaskets used? I heard that one person had a leak in his furnace when the oil ran out and it cooled but sealed once heated again.

Right now, I've turned down the auqastat to keep the water at 100 degrees +/-. If I can't shut it down, will this temperature be hot enough to keep me out of trouble?

I appreciate your help. Thanks!
          Your BOILER not furnace is steel. Here is the link to your boiler

http://www.newyorkerboiler.com/pdf/8...R5%20(web).pdf

If the manufacturer tells you not to shut it down.......DONT.
          Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for your advice and the link to info on my boiler. I have tried searching for days to find information. In fact, it was even more confusing to first find NYI which stated that they bought New Yorker and that it is now being built in Canada. They told me that my boiler cannot be cold started. Days later, I found out that Now Yorker is still being manufactured in Hatfield PA. They returned my call and told me that it can be cold fired but to keep it at a temperature that allows the furnace to fire at a minimum of two times a day to keep away condensation.

The searches that I attempted gave me confusing information at best. I was simply hoping to hear from professionals rather than advice from others claiming to be the manufacturer.

I appreciate your comments and suggestions. I plan to keep it running at a reduced temperature.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
            X