X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Head scratcher

Just did a compressor swap on a lennox condenser...

2.5 Ton (30K BTU Compressor)

Clean swap* but while attempting system charge compressor opens on internal protection every 2-3 minutes ... Pressures look normal for a system in the process of charging...

Inside home temp while attempting charge: 95 deg
    Outdoor temp 95 deg

Not giving compressor Liquid only vapor while charging...

Even got after it with a garden hose while attempting charge to no avail..

*replacement compressor has 5/8" suction and 3/8" discharge
    while old comp had 3/4" suction and 1/2" discharge ...

Your thoughts...

bill

Re: Head scratcher

Why not weigh in the charge?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

If I could keep compressor running long enough to take it I would

Residential systems (in my experience) are not so criticaly charged that they require weigh in. Just make sure superheat is good and roll on.

If this were an ice machine i would have my scale out...

Comment

Why does the compressor have to be running for you to charge it? The manufactor already told you the factory charge so this is what I use to charge whenever possible. Do you have the bottle upside down when you charge? Is this a heat pump? Couldn't get a oem compressor?
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

1) Pull a good vacuum on the system and let the vacuum pull the refrigerant in. 2) Turn your bottle upside down on your scale.

You know the rest.

I've done residential systems as big as 10 pounds and never had to run the compressor to get the rest of the charge in. Dump liquid in both the high and low sides. It will take less than a minute.

Andy

Comment

So the consensus appears to be that the compressor is going out on internals because I have not gotten enough charge into the system to provide the compressor proper cooling...

I'm going back this morning to get it worked out so I will let ya'll know...

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by OkieBill View Post
              Clean swap* but while attempting system charge compressor opens on internal protection every 2-3 minutes ... Pressures look normal for a system in the process of charging...
              What's a clean swap?
              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Clean Swap= Nothing out of the ordinary

I once had one of those built in driers break into a system on me little desiccant beads made the pressures do the weirdest things I have ever seen

Went back this morning and she charged right up and did not miss a beat.. I think the indoor and outdoor temps were to high and I was starving it while charging... I was into hour 14 yesterday while doing this compressor...

A good nights sleep and some good advice made all the difference

Comment

Working...
                X