X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System 2000 Hot water tank

My 40 gallon hot water tank on my system 2000 heating system needs to be replaced. Can I just replace it with an electric water heater and disconnect the heating elements. Where would I connect the wire going into the top of the system 2000 hot water tank on the electric hot water heater??
    Last edited by lotus1; 08-01-2008, 05:24 PM.

Re: System 2000 Hot water tank

Is this an apollo heating system?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
      Is this an apollo heating system?
      It is an Energy Kinetics boiler with an indirect tank. I don't know the answer to the question for sure, but I suspect not, because the electric would have two pipes (cold in hot out), but the EK1 would has 3 (cold in, to the heat exchanger, and hot out).

Comment

The answer is Yes you can. In fact the tank that comes with the EK-1 is a 40 gallon electric tank. You don't really need to remove or do anything at all with the elements or the wiring, just leave it as it is.
        sigpic

Comment

The wire might be using the thermostat on the tank. If it's wired to heat with electic as a backup, that wouldn't be the case, but it would make sense that they would use a tank stat to run the unit.
          sigpic3:00, I mean 5:00, and work is done. Time to crack a cold one.

Comment

The System 2000 domestic hot water tank is NOT electric, I'd replace the tank with the Energy Kinetics stainless steel tank, this is the major way the unit saves money! Don't change it to an electric money hog!

Comment

Yes, the 40 gallon tank that comes with the EK1 is indeed an electric water heater. The elements are not used but the thermostat is. Don't believe me? Give John Marran a call. He owns the company and designed the system.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X