Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sizing oil burner nozzles

Originally posted by cpw View Post
    You might be able to get them to reduce their price a lot on a lock if you call around. I've only been with my company two years, but they originally wanted to raise me from $2.699 to $3.899 this year. After I called around (average price was about $3.60) and got their largest competitor to agree to $3.299 they went for it. This year I think that lock (ceiling actually) has really paid off.

I've unfortunately had a lot of techs (all from Burke which is Meenan on LI), and liked most of them.
    Unfortunately I have one more year after this on the contract and the price calculation is laid out in the contract, really no wiggle room. I went with this company on a recommendation and it has benefited me two out of three years. We'll just have to see what happens with oil prices this year.
    Historicallly gas and oil prices seem to seasaw so I don't just want to jump into a change to gas; it may cost me short term, but I should get a better read on the situation when my contract is up.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
      You must get special oil delivered up in Cortlandt Manor, every oil fired burner I've worked on had a smell. At least when the piping, tank or appliance was opened
      But that happens like once a year. The other 364 days you don't smell anything because it is all enclosed. Gasoline smells too, but that doesn't mean your cars stink except when you are fueling them.

Comment

But that happens like once a year. The other 364 days you don't smell anything because it is all enclosed. Gasoline smells too, but that doesn't mean your cars stink except when you are fueling them.
        Dont go by me, I'm partial to gas. True story, when we were looking for a house my wife and I had a spat because I refused to buy a house that had oil heat and didn't have gas available in the area. It was a great house but I can't stand oil.

Comment

Dont go by me, I'm partial to gas. True story, when we were looking for a house my wife and I had a spat because I refused to buy a house that had oil heat and didn't have gas available in the area. It was a great house but I can't stand oil.
          Gas is certainly more convenient, and in just 2 heating seasons I've become convinced that there is less to go wrong with a gas boiler than an oil one [you would know whether or not this is true better than I do]. Also oil with an underground tank is much more likely to cause an expensive ecological disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by nypkh View Post
            Unfortunately I have one more year after this on the contract and the price calculation is laid out in the contract, really no wiggle room. I went with this company on a recommendation and it has benefited me two out of three years. We'll just have to see what happens with oil prices this year.
            Historicallly gas and oil prices seem to seasaw so I don't just want to jump into a change to gas; it may cost me short term, but I should get a better read on the situation when my contract is up.
            Good luck on your price for next year.

Comment

Gas is certainly more convenient, and in just 2 heating seasons I've become convinced that there is less to go wrong with a gas boiler than an oil one [you would know whether or not this is true better than I do]. Also oil with an underground tank is much more likely to cause an expensive ecological disaster.
              You also dont need the annual maintenance with gas. Even though the manufacturers recommend it every year, it really isn't necessary with gas. There is less to go wrong with gas plus it's a whole lot quieter.

Comment

You also dont need the annual maintenance with gas. Even though the manufacturers recommend it every year, it really isn't necessary with gas. There is less to go wrong with gas plus it's a whole lot quieter.
                OH KNOW, DON'T SAY THAT! SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

I didn't hear a thing...... and then Boom, upe went the whole damn house
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                    I didn't hear a thing...... and then Boom, upe went the whole damn house
                    There is no way that a new boiler is going to go boom because of lack of annual maintenance. There are way too many safety's on todays boiler. About the only thing that will happen is the efficiency will fall.

Comment

Back to the original question....

You can change to a smaller oil orifice.
                      A lot of equipment is rated in a range... The 5 year old Rheem furnaces we still have in the box in our shop are rated at 84-95,000 BTUH depending on which nozzle you install.
                      BUT! Here's the caveat: It would be incorrect to put in a .5 gph nozzle in that Rheem; it would be under-fired and you would have condensing problems. Boilers may be more forgiving because of their big mass of cast iron, but the manufacturer would state what nozzle size would be allowable.

Comment

The disclosure of "proved reserves" has been one of the great rituals of the reporting season for oil and gas companies, and one carefully monitored by investors. It's recently taken on even more significance with high and jittery prices, concerns about energy security, and plain fear of running out.
                        For more information visit: oil companies

Comment

Hands down, gas is better than oil. The equipment is cheaper. The service is cheaper. The efficiency is better. The versatility is better. Its quieter. NO CONTEST. Even if you save a tiny bit over the cost of gas you still have to have a service tech come out every year, and a decent tech nowadays is not $50 bucks w/ an adjustable wrench and a soot vac. If you can't get gas then that's the only excuse to have oil, and that's my excuse. I've got two tanks and I'm hoping for another drop before I run out.

Now, there's a big difference between gas and propane. Propane is just plain stupid unless you live in a trailer. Or South of Virginia.

Comment

do your wallet a favor and get rid of oil burner and covert to nat gas or heat pump.

Comment

over the years, several of the dry cleaning plants i've owned have had both gas and oil fired boilers. natural gas, if available, is the way to go.
                              there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by servicefitter View Post
                                do your wallet a favor and get rid of oil burner and covert to nat gas or heat pump.
                                Hey now, there's still 1/3 more btu's in and equivilant amount of #2 fuel oil.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X