X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• venting bathroom exhaust fan

anyone see any problem with my routing the duct work from a bathroom exhaust fan so it terminates(i.e., discharges moist air) out one of the two attic gable vents in our house? due to the height of the second floor above grade, and the recent vinyl siding of the house, i'm not in any hurry to fit an exhaust hood in the attic side wall to handle the anticipated exhaust fan discharge. if i install the exhaust fan, i would like to blow the moist air out a gable vent by terminating the exhaust duct against the inside of the gable vent screening. i realize the screening will require maintenance but that's not a problem. opinions?
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Re: venting bathroom exhaust fan

I see no reason why not.Out here they dump them out the dormer vents.

Comment

The flex tubing from mine just lead to the soffit vent.

Comment

Check with your local mechanical inspector and vent it the way he wants it done. Here, in a few cities I can vent them to the soffit, in other places they need to be hooked up with a louver and a ridgid connection.

If your siding was just recently done the guys who installed it would probably come out for little or nothing and install a new J-Vent.

I always try to keep the vent connections as low as possible in the attic so the pipe is buried in the insulation. If you live in a cold area I dont recommend running the exhaust the way you described. Warm air from a bathroom going through an uninsulated pipe in a cold attic equals condensation.

Andy

Comment

ruudacguy... that's something that i completely overlooked. in thinking about your comment, i remember seeing a similar situation on the DIY show "finders fixers". venting warm air from the bathroom through an unheated atic in january here in the northeast could create unwanted results. if i still chose to run rigid 4" ducting from the exhaust fan to the gable vent through an unheated attic, what sort of r value do you think would be needed to encapsulate the duct to prevent condensation? and what is a j vent?

Comment

Standard insulated flex is R-4.2. You could probably get a small roll of the bubble wrap with the light foil on it and wrap it a couple times, and that should be sufficient.

Another thing to be concerned about is cold air falling down the pipe when the fan is not running. The flapper in the fan is hardly air tight. May or may not be an issue with your installation.

A J-vent is just a 4 inch louvered vent which doesnt require J channel. They are available for every color of vinyl siding. Probably the same thing you have for your dryer vent if it vents through the sill.

Andy

Comment

I have done it both ways in my home, running it to a gable vent and to the soffit. Both ways failed terribly.

Finally got serious about it, ran it in rigid vent pipe up threw the roof to a damper vent. Insulated the pipe and it has worked great. I clean the vent screen every year.
              Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

another thing i hadn't anticipated...cold air coming down the rigid exhaust duct! that wall vent, a la dryer exhaust, fed by rigid 4"duct from the exhaust fan and buried in my r38 attic insulation, is starting to look better and better.

Comment

Working...
                X