X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HVAC quiz game

Let's try it out as I liked NHMaster's quiz question. The person who answers correctly has to post the next question. Try to keep the answers to multiple choice.

Heat pump with TXV. How do you check charge accurately? Why is this is a trick question.

1. Use manifold on both service ports and read 70/200.

2. Use manifold on both service ports and use superheat.

3. Use manifold on both service ports and use subcool.

4. Use condenser air temperature method.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: HVAC quiz game

Originally posted by gear junkie View Post
    Let's try it out as I liked NHMaster's quiz question. The person who answers correctly has to post the next question. Try to keep the answers to multiple choice.

Heat pump with TXV. How do you check charge accurately? Why is this is a trick question.

3. Charge by subcool according to manufacturers recommendation, which provides for ample refirgerant in the cooling and heating mode.
    spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by spodelee View Post
      3. Charge by subcool according to manufacturers recommendation, which provides for ample refirgerant in the cooling and heating mode.
      YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK!.....GOODBYE!

All of the above?

Comment

Close but no cigar, remember this is a trick question. Bill, you're just off on this one.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

OOOh OOOOh OOOOH I know, I know.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
            YOU ARE THE WEAKEST LINK!.....GOODBYE!

All of the above?
            i go with bill
            Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
            http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
            http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Both service ports and Total System Superheat?

Comment

You are so not right.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

TXV = Charge by Sub-Cooling. That all I remember about A/C with TXV as I never really got into it.

Comment

Man I hate Heatpumps!!!

I have always just checked the charge in cooling mode and adjusted as required than switched to heating mode to make sure reversing valve actuated and something resembling warm air comes out...

Heatpumps are loved by the Electric companies since they add winter load but I hate them... yup I said it

Comment

I'll post the answer tomorrow morning by 8am est if no one gets it. Since Spodlee is the closet so far, he'll get to post the next question if he wishes unless someone else gets it right.
                      Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'll post the answer tomorrow morning by 8am est if no one gets it. Since Spodlee is the closet so far, he'll get to post the next question if he wishes unless someone else gets it right.
                        Does this help? - subcool unless less than 55 degrees outdoor air temp, then weigh-in is recommended

Or, if more than one question applies, then I can think of a couple more "creative answers"
                        spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

is this a better tip?
                          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

[QUOTE=gear junkie;164452]is this a better tip?[/QUOTE

Calc pressure loss in liquid line when charging subcool
                            spodelee

Comment

Are we checking in the heating mode or the cooling mode? On most heat pumps you can't hook up the gauges to both service valves in the heating mode since both of them are on the high side of the system. You have to attach the low side gauge to the common suction port which is always low side pressure. Since it's a TXV - I'd go with the subcooling method as well. If it were an old unit, during the summer, I would probably charge to a 40 degree evaporator coil temp and go with that. Charge in the cooling mode when possible.

Later, Jonesy

Comment

Working...
                              X