X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric wire things

I am cleaning the oil boiler at one of my properties. It is a Weil Mclain with a Beckett oil burner. I took the top off and vaccumed the soot out ant now I have the oil burner apart to clean it. I took everything off it and scrubbed it down real good because it was all covered with black oily stuff. What I need to know is if there is an adjustment for the two wire things that are incalsed in porcelain, or can they just stick out there? Also there is a watts 374a I believe that drips a little once in a while. Can I put a plug in the threads? or should I get a new one and how much do they cost?
    Show Me The Money

Re: Electric wire things

It's only a matter of time before someone either gets hurt or dead. Call a professional NOW.
    sigpic

Comment

I honestly hope this another joke,

Watts 374A Pressure Relief Valve
      Series 374A Boiler Pressure Relief Valves are used in hot water boiler applications to protect against excessive pressure on all types of hot water heating boiler equipment.
      Plugging it is a very good way to kill people,

I normally argue for the DIY on this board, but if you are not willing to do some study and learn about the systems your wanting to work on then do not touch them,

one quick search on the term "watts 374a" would have told you what it was for,

IF your only going to watch one video watch the second, one, a boiler is a hot water heater as well,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF_Wrm-Ns0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoy...eature=related

YOU will not be laughing in the end like the people who did the test in the video in the end if you try this at home or one of your renters homes,

Jerry riggin gas lines and boilers and hot water heaters is not wise, (even on the temporary),
      the work is serious and the work has to be done correctly and with the correct materials, and the proper procedures need to be followed, one little mess up can make a normally reliable safe appliance become deadly in seconds.
      Last edited by BHD; 08-21-2008, 11:39 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

OK that's pretty scary stuff so I guess I will replace the watts valve. Are they expensive?
        Show Me The Money

Comment

A lot less than the price of a new house.
          sigpic

Comment

it appears the price is under $50.
            http://www.google.com/products?sourc...=1&sa=N&tab=wf

but you may want consider that the unit is not faulty but jsut doing its job, depending on how the unit is set up there may be other factors that could be causing it to build pressure and to have the valve relieve some liquid off for the sake of keep the pressure in a safe range,

I would really suggest to get a qualified person in to check out the system, for your safety and those you rent to,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm going to echo the folks here.."CALL A PRO"!!!
              Now is not the time to be penny wise and dollar foolish!

This past week here in Phoenix metro a home had an electric water heater explode!
              It was in the garage and the house was almost totaled!!!

The water heater was indeed a missile and flew about 2-4 blocks from the home!

If you do not have the expertise get someone who does! There is a reason you have specialized service people...sadly yes there are also many con men and folks who should not hold any tools in their hands.

Pay for a reputable service company to in and save yourself unnecessary expense, grief, your time, and maybe even a life!

Cactus Man

Comment

Unfortunatly every time I call a "pro" they rip me off, and there's not that much profit in the house in the first place so I have to learn to do things myself. The last plumber I called charged me $ 65.00 to change a toilet flush valve. What a rip off. The guy should be in the mafia.
                Show Me The Money

Comment

It so obvious that 'weasleboy' is pretending to be a handyman hack in order to get us riled up...its called 'trolling' and it happens all the time on internet forums.

So fess up troll, your trolling is weak and we can see right through it.
                  Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Water Heater Reviews & Water Heater Information

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel Boy View Post
                      The last plumber I called charged me $ 65.00 to change a toilet flush valve. What a rip off.
                      That's it? You got off way cheap. I don't know any plumbing company that will do any type of plumbing work for less than $100.
                      YourHomeContractor.com - The Trusted Online Community For Homeowners and Contractors.

Plumbing Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel Boy View Post
                        Unfortunatly every time I call a "pro" they rip me off, and there's not that much profit in the house in the first place so I have to learn to do things myself. The last plumber I called charged me $ 65.00 to change a toilet flush valve. What a rip off. The guy should be in the mafia.
                        thats just devine

Comment

Originally posted by HouseOfAtlas View Post
                          That's it? You got off way cheap. I don't know any plumbing company that will do any type of plumbing work for less than $100.
                          Agreed, most won't even knock on your door for that amount, let alone do any work for you.
                          ---------------
                          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                          ---------------
                          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                          ---------
                          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                          ---------
                          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Go back under the bridge troll

Comment

Working...
                            X