X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What would you do?

Friend calls me up and tells me his ac isn't cooling anymore and his symptoms sound like a refrigerant leak. Here's the problem; 4 years ago his 2 1/2 ton compressor went out and the guy who replaced it used a 3 1/2 ton compressor. I turned down the job because I've never seen this before and was unsure how I would charge the unit. Would superheat work on this unit, would you have turned the job down or gave it your best shot?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: What would you do?

The guy put a 3.5 ton compressor in a 2.5 ton unit? Or did he change out the entire outside unit? Why didnt he have you do it right instead of having some other guy hack it together?

Andy

Comment

Well, he probably does have a leak, but adding the extra ton to the 2 1/2 ton cabinet is going to cause some problems of it's own. The added volume will ( i think) have problems condensing. Could this cause the compressor to vapor lock? Have you put the gauges to it yet?
      sigpic

Comment

Steve; Turned down the job, Mark's(toutah) quote popped in my head as soon as I heard him tell me about the compressor. How could the capacity cause vapor lock?

Andy; I didn't know him 4 years ago and didn't know until yesterday about the compressor. It was just the compressor changed out, not the condensor.
        Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I'd verify the numbers on the new compressor as actually being 3.5 ton. That sounds like a fish story one of my hackjob competitors would come up with to make it seem like the customer is getting a better deal.

How much cooling does the building need, and how much ductwork is there? What type of metering device?

Andy

Comment

dunno, just fishing I guess. I'd have to see some specs on everything to make a real determination, but it seems like the compressor coil is going to be too small to handle the extra capacity of the compressor. Then again do we assume that the system was working for a while?
            sigpic

Comment

Seems logical to me....if 2-1/2 ton is good then 3-1/2 ton must be better

Comment

A 3.5 ton compressor in a 2.5 ton condensing unit will mean the condenser is grossly undersized and the evaporator is grossly undersized. Subcooling will be low or non-existent, superheat will be abnormally high or low depending on how undersized the condenser is, discharge temperatures will probably be elevated, and compression ratios will be abnormally high. Compressor failure is immanent unless he gets lucky and the suction valve partially fails, which might derate the compressor back to something closer to 2.5 ton capacity .

I wouldn't touch it unless the client agreed to change the compressor as part of the overall repair.
                Last edited by spodelee; 08-31-2008, 09:16 PM.
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                  I'd verify the numbers on the new compressor as actually being 3.5 ton. That sounds like a fish story one of my hackjob competitors would come up with to make it seem like the customer is getting a better deal.

How much cooling does the building need, and how much ductwork is there? What type of metering device?

Andy
                  Good advice
                  spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Working...
                  X