X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connection ridgid ducting to exhaust fan

I'm installing an exhaust fan and using rigid 4" ducting. The ducting has a tapered end, which I assumed goes into the ducting attached to the outside vent, but I don't know how to secure the non-tapered end to the fan itself, as both the ducting and the connection on the fan are 4" exactly, I can't fit one inside the other. How is this supposed to be done, is there a coupler of some kind that I need?

Re: Connection ridgid ducting to exhaust fan

You need a crimping tool or a band coupling.
    sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the reply. What type of crimping tool would be required? Do you just pinch a bunch of grooves into the end of the venting?

Comment

Your 4" pipe should fit on the outside of the piece on the fan. Either you have some pipe that is built on the small side of the spec, or you arent trying hard enough. I assume the connector on the fan is plastic?

Andy

Comment

It is indeed plastic, and I've been trying to shove the damn thing on there all day. This is what I've got: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...00003+10054001 It comes flat and you curve it around and lock it together.
          Last edited by MrAngles; 09-06-2008, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Also, what's the loose round plastic ring (collar) for on the vent? Or more specifically, what do I do with it? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...00003+10054001

Comment

Well I picked up a "vent extender" which is a short piece that is crimped on both ends, so I'm guessing I can just shove that in there and duct tape the whole mess up.

Comment

Originally posted by MrAngles View Post
                Or more specifically, what do I do with it?
                Pitch it in the garbage is what I do with them.

The 4" aluminum pipe is typically smaller than 4" galvanized steel. Get yourself some 4" galvanized. The big end will fit the fan. The small end will need crimped a little to fit the 4" deflecto. Or save yourself some trouble and flex it.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
                  Or save yourself some trouble and flex it.
                  Yeah I'd be way into using flex venting except I'm working in the ceiling of the first floor of a 2-story house, no attic to work in, so rigid is the only way I can figure to reach from the fan to the wall. I haven't seen galvanized venting, but I could check for it tomorrow.

Comment

Funny how Home Depot usually figures into these aggravations. You can do it.. we can provide the sub standard crap from China
                    sigpic

Comment

Also, what's the loose round plastic ring (collar) for on the vent? Or more specifically, what do I do with it? http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...00003+10054001
                      Your HD links do not work, at least for me. But if you are talking about a white nylon collar that comes with a 4" dryer vent, it is simply to trim the inside of the rough hole you cut through the wall for the 4" pipe.

Comment

Yeah I'd be way into using flex venting except I'm working in the ceiling of the first floor of a 2-story house, no attic to work in, so rigid is the only way I can figure to reach from the fan to the wall. I haven't seen galvanized venting, but I could check for it tomorrow.

The ducting you describe where it comes semi-flat, and you push the long edges together to form the pipe...that is usually galvanized steel. If in fact you have some aluminum stuff, that would be too flimsy. Trade it in on the steel.

Comment

Working...
                        X