X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need idea on different thermostat

In my shop here, i'm always re-setting my A/C thermostat. When I'm in the shop, I set it to 80. When i'm done for the day, I set it to 84. Problem is, my days very in hours in the shop. Some days, i'll work 8 hours, other days, 4 hours, others, not at all.

What I was thinking, was to somehow have my A/C thermostat controlled by my main light switch. Come into the shop and turn on the lights......A/C drops to 80. Day is done and the lights go off.......A/C is re-set to 84. I thought about 2 different thermostats, one with a power supply to feed the thermostat instead of the batteries so it comes "on" with the lights, but I think this won't work since the batteries keep the programming.

I dunno, just wondering if this can be done. I understand that a programmable thermostat would be the next best bet, but it still would have drawbacks due to my schedule.

Any ideas???

thanks

Mark

Re: Need idea on different thermostat

If nothing is made commercially i think that we can do this with another like thermostat set to say 84, where the other one is set to 80. set a switch up to toggle between the 2 thermostats, and a common ground. It is an idea mybe will work maybe it wont? I am thinking run both themostats with a common ground, then the 12v wire to a toggle switch , flip the switch up for the 84 degree thermostat to work, flip the switch down for the 80 degree thermostat!

Comment

Crap! Logged in with the wrong name...AGAIN! LOL

The above post is mine.
      Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

Are you talking about the 24v (or is it 12volts?) ground wire that returns to the A/C unit? Kinda like using a double pole switch? Center pole returns to A/C unit, left pole comes from one thermostat, right from the other?

Mark
        Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

yeah it should work theoretically right?

Comment

Sounds good to me!! I can get another stat from my buddy and give it a try. I'll probably use a switch that will control BOTH wires just in case I mess up. ( I think it's just two wires?! LOL It's straight A/C, no heat or heat pump)

A three position switch would work great too. Then in the center position, it would be "off". I do this often when I start spraying and need to bring in some outside air with my cooler. Wow! I think we're on to something here! LOL
            Mark
            Last edited by The Wood Meister; 09-09-2008, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Assuming the AC uses 24 Volts AC for the control circuit you could install a surface mount "Handy Box" and with a blank cover drill the needed size round hole to mount a panel mount type toggle switch. You only need to switch one side so a SPDT center off switch would work. You could also use a DPDT center off switch. Now if you wanted to get fancy you could use a relay and have the holding coil power switched with a photo cell. Turn on the lights and you would be using thermostat A and when the lights are off thermostat B. If you're only going from 80 to 84F maybe you could just use a clock type and set it up based on normal timing. It does take time to cool down the shop.

For the bother to engineer up something and then buy parts and install them, how about moving the T-stat you have now to where it's easy for you to just change the setting? If your current T-stat is painful to manually set then just get a simple new one.

How automated would you like this? Would you like little indicator lights showing which T-stat is in control at any given time? Time delays?

Be careful or you may end up with a new little PC controlling your AC system.

Comment

Woussko

I like bells and whistles!!! You should have seen my shop when I had all my old car stereo, tape player and 12v tv running off a deep cycle battery and charger. Wires and switches everywhere!!! LOL Hey, you do what you have to do.

Just trying to save a few bucks on elect. My summer bill runs about $480 a month. Shop and house have A/C, plus all my equipment. Spring and fall I run the evap and freeze myself out! Winter, I have an exterior mounted gas furnace. Draws outside air so I can shoot lacquer with the heater on. Also have a pot belly stove in the corner with a blower on the vent pipe for burning scrap. I can bring the shop from 40 up to 80 in about 20 minutes with it! It cranks when I fill it with Oak!

I can do the handy box and switch. Checker has cool LED indicator lights too! Don't know if they are 24v though. I have extra wire, a box and think I have a blank plate too. Just need to mooch another thermostat from my A/C buddy! LOL A little wiring and presto! All done!
                Last edited by The Wood Meister; 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM.

Comment

I'll let you think on this some but you could use a double pole or even a three pole, double throw switch and have (2) different color 28 Volt indicator lamps where they would change when you throw the switch. The red one would be on when the OCCUPIED thermostat was in use and the yellow one would be for when the STANDBY thermostat was in use. Or maybe you would like green or blue in place of yellow. Please follow the K I S S rule or you'll be going crazy trying to figure it out.

If I have a chance I'll try to get a few pictures and also do up a crappy yet readable hand drawn circuit diagram where I use 2 thermostats with indicator lights for an electric unit heater. With the switch set to standby (down) thermostat #1 is set to 45F and this keeps the place from freezing in winter. With the switch set to occupied (up) that connects thermostat #2 which is set to 70F. The indicators are a dim green and a bright red. There is no OFF as we do not want the place to not have heat at all. For service just shut off the power at the circuit breaker.

I'm sure if you talk to your HVAC buddy he will have ideas for you and should be able to deal up a simple thermostat for you much like the one you have now.

Comment

Working...
                  X