X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steam Piping

propress is good up to and including 15 psi steam---we use it with no problems----i looked at a 22 section steam monster today-1.75 million--needs replaced-- it only runs under 1 pound---your system must be a monster

Comment

Here are some pics

3" wye on return, 3" coming into branch is pumped

3" flow from gate valve into branch of wye

blury pic of 3" gate and outlet side of pump assembly(planned end of this particular repair)

2" line that pumps into 4x3x2 tee downstream of wye in question, 2" drops down and 90's into a 2x3/4x2 tee(3/4 has hosebibb for drain?) then 90's back up into the braided copper flex, then 90's into the 4x3x2 tee
      Last edited by glkearns; 09-14-2008, 01:55 AM. Reason: adding comments

Comment

Hope that clarifies my previous post some.

Comment

Whats up brother? A local 486 member here.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

Are you sure this is a steam system and not a hot water system?

Comment

Originally posted by JoeUnionReview
              Need more pictures, could be both.

EDIT: I would also be careful not to mess with the smaller black banded covered pipe above the copper, in the picture it looks like it may be asbestos, but you can't tell from the picture, could just be fiberglass that got dirty.
              Agree, certainly looks like it could be asbestos, and given the stated age of the facility, it would have been one of if not the preferred insulation material.
              ---------------
              Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
              ---------------
              “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
              ---------
              "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
              ---------
              sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

good pickup, that definitely looks like asbestos to me. The newer stuff looks like fiberglass.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                  Are you sure this is a steam system and not a hot water system?
                  Sounds and looks like a hot water system to me also. Without seeing the associated boiler piping can't be sure.

Comment

How about a picture of the equipment serving the pipe?

Mark
                    "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                      How about a picture of the equipment serving the pipe?

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                        good pickup, that definitely looks like asbestos to me. The newer stuff looks like fiberglass.
                        Agreed, looks like the supply line has fiberglass.

I'd like to see the piping in and out of the boiler too.
                        ---------------
                        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                        ---------------
                        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                        ---------
                        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                        ---------
                        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

The picture is of a Bell ann Gossett BG100 circulator (the red thing with the motor) and the green thing is a Taco flow check valve. That part of the system is forced hot water, not steam. It could be a hot water leg pulled off a steam boiler but without following the pipes back to the boiler I can't tell. The white crap on the pipes looks like corrosion due to a very slight fitting leak and I'd bet the system is filled with anti freeze also.
                          sigpic

Comment

consider signing up as a union contractor and take some classes

are you saying that this can only be done by a union guy??? i am non union and work with all non union guys---my boiler guy is a steam master and would never consider union,nor would any of us---maybe i am taking this wrong, but just cuz your in a union does NOT mean your qualified --

i dont want to start a non union-union war, i believe we all are equal tradesman and some of us are union, some are not----it definately does not make either "better" or "more qualified" because they belong or dont belong to a group--
                            there are projects some people should leave up to the pros--steam is the most powerful force known to man, and should not be touched by anyone that is inexperienced---greg, im not saying you are not experienced, im saying steam is very dangerous and can be fatal if not done correctly--if you are confident doing this, more power to you--good luck & make some $$$$

greg if its 15 psi or less, get out the propress and get er done

good luck

Comment

I'm not a union guy and so far I'm the only one that knows for sure that the picture is of Forced hot water piping.

I've been around steam a long time. Installed and piped quite a few high pressure process boilers running in excess of 100lbs steam and I never had to join a union to do so. Same goes for atmospheric residential systems. Here in the North East we still run across them every day.
                              sigpic

Comment

glk, why is this running at 15 psi------in most cases, thats overkill unless its a giant system with high demand---
                                all our residential steamers are under 1 psi--most of our commercial are under 5----very rarely do we see 15 psi or more-----but we do have a few at or over 15

what type of plant or building is this and what is steam for--heat, process???

Comment

Working...
                                X