Steam Piping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Steam Piping

This is most certainly not a steam system. The B&G pump AGAIN is the dead give away.

Listen to NHMaster3015. He has hit the nail on the head with everything thus far!!!
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

"We should ALL be a brotherhood, unfortunately we seem more divided and feuding than working together protecting the trade and health of the public as we once did."

Yes, I agree completely.

This issue is polarizing the forum as the political debates were. Maybe in part because we lost that outlet for our differences. If we can't sanely discuss the pros and cons of each side that is really sad. This subject was never outlawed here but most of us left are preference for working union/non-union at the door when we entered here.

Trashing the other side over their stand on this or calling people a rat for working non-union is not what I come here to experience. I enjoy discussing and learning from everyone, and try to return the favor by imparting what I know. The trade is vast in its scope and breadth of work, no one person can know it all. I deal with stuff every day that has no relation to service plumbing or commercial work but its still part of the trade and the work is performed by members of the UA across the country and the world for that matter. It does not make me any smarter or better than any one here, just different and possibly I know a trick or two about something that some of you might not know. The same goes for everyone on here. It's what draws us all to this place to begin with I suspect.

Long before (almost 5 years ago) most of you were here raising a ruckus in the Plumbing Forums, this was a quiet place ,mostly inhabited by people interesting in woodworking. The majority of the activity took place in that section of the Forum. That's what attracted me to this place initially.

There was activity on the plumbing side but not as much as now. If there was much activity it was about 30dB lower in intensity than it is today.
      "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
      John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

I should apologize...I sometimes get worked up easily and type before I think.
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

I would like to thank everyone that posted in this thread, I put in a bid for the repair work and a bunch of domestic hot water piping repairs at this establishment today. If I get this job I'll be sure to post some before and after pic's, starring Propress. I'll get pic's of the mechanical room, pic's of the 4" that needs repair in the crawlspace, the whole thing. I really appreciate all the info, and look forward to learning more based on the next photos I share here.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
            I would like to thank everyone that posted in this thread, I put in a bid for the repair work and a bunch of domestic hot water piping repairs at this establishment today. If I get this job I'll be sure to post some before and after pic's, starring Propress. I'll get pic's of the mechanical room, pic's of the 4" that needs repair in the crawlspace, the whole thing. I really appreciate all the info, and look forward to learning more based on the next photos I share here.

Greg

Aaaaaaarrrggghhh.....

Comment

Thought that might get mixed reviews
              Greg

Comment

Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                Thought that might get mixed reviews
                Greg
                GLKearns keeping the forum alive!!!!

Comment

Anything I can do to help!

Comment

Not sure how I feel about pro press for hydronic though I have seen some very good looking installaions using it. I question the rubber O ring seal and the constant movement of the pipes due to expansion but then again most new circulators use an o ring seal also. The main reason I wouldn't use it here though is the cost of the fittings. Since the system will be drained down anyway, the time savings won't be all that much.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                      Not sure how I feel about pro press for hydronic though I have seen some very good looking installaions using it. I question the rubber O ring seal and the constant movement of the pipes due to expansion but then again most new circulators use an o ring seal also. The main reason I wouldn't use it here though is the cost of the fittings. Since the system will be drained down anyway, the time savings won't be all that much.
                      For me the cost of the fittings is typically 30% more. IN terms of labour, I find I can propress a 2" joint (including assembly, depth marking etc) in about 60 secs, however a 2" solder joint usually takes around 3 -3.5 mins. Im with you on the O-ring issue, I'm just not sold on it for hydronic use. But for arguments sake lets say its just as reliable as sweating, then propress takes about 1/3 of the time. That to me spells p-r-o-f-i-t
                      West Trail Mechanical Ltd
                      Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                        For me the cost of the fittings is typically 30% more. IN terms of labour, I find I can propress a 2" joint (including assembly, depth marking etc) in about 60 secs, however a 2" solder joint usually takes around 3 -3.5 mins. Im with you on the O-ring issue, I'm just not sold on it for hydronic use. But for arguments sake lets say its just as reliable as sweating, then propress takes about 1/3 of the time. That to me spells p-r-o-f-i-t
                        I am not convinced on the pro-press thing for any application. It has not caught on around here and I don't think it is going to.

I would not be against trying it on domestic water, but for heating I'm not so sure.

Does anyone know if these fittings will stand the test of time on a hot water hydronic system and stand up to a soldered joint. Its not always about profit with me. Never mind about using it on steam.

Comment

Originally posted by bigPipe09 View Post
                          I'm with MP, not planning to use PP anytime soon.

In terms of time vs cost, what exactly is the price difference on the 2" copper vs 2" propress?

Comment

you guys need to embrace the technology---its been in europe for over 20 years with no issues---i argue with all the oldschoolers that the press is the way to go----ill do a 150 ft of boiler piping side by side with you anyday, anytime with my press---i guarantee my work looks better and has no leaks---

im not being cocky, but seriously, solder is on its last leg--thats reality

i did a 3" water main repair--15 ft of copper and 5 fitts--gate did not close fully--had a good stream--took less than 2 hrs to complete and i saved the customer a lot of money-----lot of money---good luck soldering that in 4 hrs

call your ridgid rep and have him demo a press for 1 job---youll love it--

i use mine for everything---steam, boiler, water, gas,---did a rinnai today with it--50 ft of copper--done with copper in 45 minutes--

propress is the future and its my most valuable tool--if you are the only one in ur area with one, and word gets out---wait and see how many commercial businesses call U to do repairs----sounds crazy, but ive gotten calls for water main breaks and they ask for propress

you guys that dont like it have not used it ---try and see why i say what i say

Comment

if u like profit--u like propress

Comment

Originally posted by plumberjr View Post
                                you guys need to embrace the technology---its been in europe for over 20 years with no issues---i argue with all the oldschoolers that the press is the way to go----ill do a 150 ft of boiler piping side by side with you anyday, anytime with my press---i guarantee my work looks better and has no leaks---

im not being cocky, but seriously, solder is on its last leg--thats reality

i did a 3" water main repair--15 ft of copper and 5 fitts--gate did not close fully--had a good stream--took less than 2 hrs to complete and i saved the customer a lot of money-----lot of money---good luck soldering that in 4 hrs

call your ridgid rep and have him demo a press for 1 job---youll love it--

i use mine for everything---steam, boiler, water, gas,---did a rinnai today with it--50 ft of copper--done with copper in 45 minutes--

propress is the future and its my most valuable tool--if you are the only one in ur area with one, and word gets out---wait and see how many commercial businesses call U to do repairs----sounds crazy, but ive gotten calls for water main breaks and they ask for propress

you guys that dont like it have not used it ---try and see why i say what i say
                                That's all great but you can't use it if its not approved, and for me under the NSPC that just happened about a year ago that it (and sharkbites) got approved.
                                "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
                                John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

Comment

Working...
                                X