X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Piping

I have been asked to repair a few leaks in a fairly large steam heat system that is piped in large copper 2"-4". My question is, there is a 3" wye in the system that needs to be replaced, and it looks to me like it is a pressure fitting. Ferguson told me that the only 3" wye they had was DWV. Is a DWV wye a code approved material for steam heat? Could the 3" wye be changed to a tee? How important is the directional fitting on a steam system?

Thanks for any responses.

Greg

Re: Steam Piping

In my experience with steam piping it has been steel pipe. Welded or flanged. A tee connection versus a wye should not matter if it is just for steam.

If the wye is in the condensate return line then it may matter.

I don't think a DWV fitting is a good idea for that application for sure.
    www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

I didn't crawl the whole system, just looked at the various leaks. I didn't realize that a 3" pressure rated wye would be so difficult to find.

Greg

Comment

My steam experience is very limited but there is no way I would be comfortable installing dwv on a steam line

Comment

Dude, I'll save the rant. If you have questions like this, please don't do the job.

You know how we talk about homeowners stepping over the line, well to me your stepping over the line by charging a customer for work that your not educated on.

Please go get some training, steam is nothing to play around with.
          Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

It's true that steam is a force to be reckoned with. I worked for a whole year on a green house that burned to the ground and had to have 10 new boilers installed with thousands of feet of steam main, condensate lines and steam tables.

I learned to respect steam real quick.

Do be cautious if you have not work with it before.
            www.firstresponsedrain.com

Comment

My part to the job (if I take it) would be repairing the failed joints. The facilities maintenance guy knows the ins and outs of the system, but can't solder the 3". I openly admitted to the client that I had no experience with steam systems, his response was that he knows the system and just needs someone that can solder large diameter copper.

I have been contemplating punting on the job since I walked it (Friday) because of the lack of knowledge of the system.

Greg

Comment

Steam is a different animal. You don't put things in you think "might" work. There can be no doubt. The original system may be wrong. New equipment attached to the old piping may not match. I'd say if you don't recognize these things, you'd be much happier, safer, richer by passing.

Good luck, be safe.

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron91 View Post
                  Dude, I'll save the rant. If you have questions like this, please don't do the job.

You know how we talk about homeowners stepping over the line, well to me your stepping over the line by charging a customer for work that your not educated on.

Please go get some training, steam is nothing to play around with.
                  im with Aaron on this one steam is some thing if you don't know what your doing don't do it

copper pipe on steam supply is not good ,i did use it with 1/2 L copper only because thats what they called for and it was very low pressure

now i have ran copper for the condensate on a couple systems and i would not use DWV fittings because of the small amount of solder space it has
                  Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                  http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                  http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

I am still baffled you guys use steam in California?!

Comment

Checked Mueller, no wrot in a 45 wye, cast fittings only.

Plumbing Copper Fittings - Cast

D-719 C x C x C

Part Size Box Ctn Wt List
                      A 07005 1-1/4 – 50 0.63 65.30
                      A 07037 1-1/2 – 50 0.87 71.12
                      A 07077 2 – 25 1.24 92.44
                      A 07150 3 – 20 2.77 223.38

A 07200 4 – 5 5.55 451.60

This table was nicely formatted before vBulletin removed all the spaces.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                        I am still baffled you guys use steam in California?!
                        40+ year old system in a small private catholic college.

Comment

did the mantinence guy tell you if it is the return or not is it graded..? i don't see why you couldn't use a tee..? i repaired a few copper steam leaks in the past it will a ***** to drain to make solder joints.. is this in the city..?

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
                            ... The original system may be wrong. New equipment attached to the old piping may not match. I'd say if you don't recognize these things, you'd be much happier, safer, richer by passing.

Good luck, be safe.

J.C.
                            Originally posted by HVAC HAWK View Post
                            copper pipe on steam supply is not good ,i did use it with 1/2 L copper only because thats what they called for and it was very low pressure

now i have ran copper for the condensate on a couple systems and i would not use DWV fittings because of the small amount of solder space it has
                            Originally posted by glkearns View Post
                            40+ year old system in a small private catholic college.
                            There are newer boilers, maybe the change in boilers is causing the joints on the copper to fail...Sounds like I need to punt on this one and have them find a reputable steam fitting co. go out and assess the "real" problem, as I don't want a call back saying that additional joints are failing. Anyone know any N. California steam fitt co's?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by plumbworker View Post
                              did the mantinence guy tell you if it is the return or not is it graded..? i don't see why you couldn't use a tee..? i repaired a few copper steam leaks in the past it will a ***** to drain to make solder joints.. is this in the city..?
                              something tells me that propress has steam approved fittings
                              Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Working...
                              X