Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor Fan

Ok this is what happening,

the last few days i have notice that our ac has been running alot longer than normal. so i went out side to look at the out side part of our ac/heat pump. and the Compressor Fan ( or thats what i think its called) isnt moving and kinda making a loud humming/ buzzing sound. i grab a screww diver and give the fan a push start. it starts and the the house starts to cool down. but after a about 1/2 an hour i notice that its not getting cooler. and go out and the fan isnt moving. i try to re start it again, and the fan moves really freely.

So what i think is the fan isnt running right and there must be a thermo stat or something that prevents it from over heatting.

so my question is are thoes fans and moters hard to change?

( sorry if i called every thing the wrong name, i work in plumbing only not hvac)

Re: Compressor Fan

Sounds like the bearings are going out on your condenser fan motor.

It is an easy job for me but I do them everyday...

If you are comfortable with electricity and understand the difference between 110V and 208V and know what a microfarad is and are mechanically inclined and have a hub puller to get the fan blade off of the motor shaft (NEVER USE HAMMER) it should be no problem for you

If you are not comfortable with any of these concepts or If you flat out have no idea what one of these things is you may consider hiring a qualified HVAC professional in your area.

Okie
    Last edited by OkieBill; 09-15-2008, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Re: Compressor Fan

Your fan motor may well have an automatic reset overload protector inside it. If you get the fan running, try setting the thermostat inside a good bit lower than room temp and if you can stand it outdoors stay near the unit for say 1/2 hour and observe it.

Many fan motors are what's called a split capacitor type motor and if the capacitor has gone bad they won't start up and when running draw too much current. That would cause the overload protector to open circuit until the motor cools. If you're into electrical work or know someone that is, look for a capacitor that's wired into the fan motor. It may be mounted to the motor or it may be inside the main wiring box. Replacing it may solve the problem.

Normally if bearings are going bad or are dry of oil when they (and motor) are hot from running they will bind up. If you get it running again, quickly set your indoor thermostat to 65 and then stay with the unit outside for about 1/2 hour and observe it. If anything goes wrong quickly shut off power. There should be a disconnect out near the unit and also you can shut off the circuit breaker in your main panel.

Before attempting to work on the unit be 100% (not 99 but 100) that power is in fact off.

If you try to spin the fan with power on, I recommend using a small stick and do be careful.

Comment

Working...
      X