Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydronic Baseboard Heat

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
    There is no heating of air with an in floor radiant system.
    Not sure if I am reading this right. The air isnt getting heated? I agree, its not getting directly heated, but indirectly it is.

I see stratification issues in houses with oversized furnaces that kick on and blast the homeowners out of their chairs and overshoot the thermostat setpoint by a few degrees.

I definately respect all of your opinions, but I do recommend a course in forced air technology. You guys might be surprised at what can be achieved with a modulating furnace and a properly sized and installed duct system.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
      Not sure if I am reading this right. The air isnt getting heated? I agree, its not getting directly heated, but indirectly it is.

I see stratification issues in houses with oversized furnaces that kick on and blast the homeowners out of their chairs and overshoot the thermostat setpoint by a few degrees.

I definately respect all of your opinions, but I do recommend a course in forced air technology. You guys might be surprised at what can be achieved with a modulating furnace and a properly sized and installed duct system.

Andy
      Andy, you are reading it right, radiant heat heats objects, not the air around the objects. That is the reason we put radiant tubing in the floor and not the ceiling, if it is in the ceiling in your kitchen and you are sitting at the kitchen table with your legs under the table, your legs would feel colder then your head.

Ever hear of the phenomenom known as cold 70? Do a search on it. You'll be suprised at what you find. But it is the truth, radiant heat heats objects not air, not indirectly or directly.

I dont have anything against warm air furnaces, I actually used to service them when I was an employee, I just prefer hydronics as there is so much you can do with it.
      Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-23-2008, 12:13 AM.

Comment

just a thought,

-is it possible that maybe somebody played with or set the heat anticipator wrong when things are really out whack target temp.wise?

-we have a brand new(3yrs old) mini-hospital up here. hydronic heat panels in the ceiling tiles. weirdest thing i ever saw. seems to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
          Andy, you are reading it right, radiant heat heats objects, not the air around the objects. That is the reason we put radiant tubing in the floor and not the ceiling, if it is in the ceiling in your kitchen and you are sitting at the kitchen table with your legs under the table, your legs would feel colder then your head.

Ever hear of the phenomenom known as cold 70? Do a search on it. You'll be suprised at what you find. But it is the truth, radiation heats objects not air, not indirectly or directly.

I dont have anything against warm air furnaces, I actually used to service them when I was an employee, I just prefer hydronics as there is so much you can do with it.
          My thinking exactly
          West Trail Mechanical Ltd
          Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

Circulators now a days are drawing way less power than they used to. If you're seeing that much power showing on your electric bill you must have a severely outdated circulator. Switch it out for a quality Grundfos or Wilo unit (My company almost exclusively now uses Wilo) and you should notice it. Wilo is the cats arse of pumps - they have a true variable speed pump that senses when actuators or zone valves open that we use on a lot of our radiant installations.

The interesting thing is the body loses MOST of it's heat (around 50%) from radiation losses. Makes sense that the form of heat should radiate that heat back?

Comment

Going to a seminar friday about how to get 7 HP out of a pump that uses as much power as a 1/2 HP motor usually does

Comment

I went to a little grundfos seminar a while back and the guy said that recently Grundfos made a committment to improve the electrical efficiency of their pumps by 10% on all models. They posted some figure but it escapes me right now, but basically the figured when you consider how many of their pumps are installed accross the world, that if you now decrease their electrical consumption 10%, it's enough power to ...power... something huge for a long time (can't recall exactly but again....there is the committment on behalf of some of those high quality german models).

Comment

Practical experience here. Lived in homes with scortched heat back in Mass. Winter= Dry throats,noisey ,when on. I built a new home on Cape Cod in 1971,hydronic base board.
                  Wonderful,comfortable heat! Now we have the best,radiant heat in N. Calif. After radiant,
                  You won't go back!
                  I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

Ill find out next winter, building a new 3000 sf shop for my fathers excavating company, in floor radiant heating throughout. I cant wait to change the oil on my truck in a t-shirt and toasty warm in January! Only way to go with a shop warehouse commercial etc. so you dont have to worry about blocking the baseboard along the wall with junk!

Comment

My Son In Law did radiant on a private car collectorshuge garage. You'll love it!
                      I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

anybody have any experience with overhead burner with flue pipe type (i don't know the exact name)radiant heaters?

Comment

I've hung miles of that radiant tube. It has some down sides. For starters, its very fragile. You hit it with a vehicle once, something is coming down., and takes away from ceiling space in a shop. Also, you're not going to want put them within 20 feet of any nice paint job on a vehicle. They also arent as efficient as hydronic radiant heat. They are inexpensive though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince the Plumber View Post
                            anybody have any experience with overhead burner with flue pipe type (i don't know the exact name)radiant heaters?
                            Are you talking about tube heaters? Installed a few in some warehouse gas jobs quite high up. And despite their height they still heat the space quite well.

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
                              Ill find out next winter, building a new 3000 sf shop for my fathers excavating company, in floor radiant heating throughout. I cant wait to change the oil on my truck in a t-shirt and toasty warm in January! Only way to go with a shop warehouse commercial etc. so you dont have to worry about blocking the baseboard along the wall with junk!
                              don't leave the garage door open very long.
                              sigpic

Comment

So with all the back and forth is it safe to say that:

A. A properly done forced air system is good?

B. A properly done hydronic system is good?

Forced air is less expensive but a hydronic system may be more comfortable, quieter, and less dust movement?

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X