X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydronic Baseboard Heat

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
    So with all the back and forth is it safe to say that:

A. A properly done forced air system is good?

B. A properly done hydronic system is good?

Forced air is less expensive but a hydronic system may be more comfortable, quieter, and less dust movement?

J.C.
    yes.

Comment

having owned 2 homes with forced hot air and the current home with forced hot water in cast iron radiators, i've notice the following:

1. the forced hot air systems were worthless without humidifiers. dry heat causes moisture to evaporate from the skin causing a cooling effect. once properly humidified, 67-68 deg. was very comfortable.

2. forced hot air left the house cleaner, as the circulating air removed more air born dust than the unfiltered, relatively non-moving air of the forced hot water sysyems.

3. the forced got air houses warmed up faster than the cast iron radiators. the forced hot air houses also cooled down faster.

given a choice between just those two types of systems, i would choose hot air for its cleanliness and controllability.
      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

HYDRO AIR!!! Best of both worlds for a house, commercial/slab on grade, radiant!

Comment

Hypothetical situation. Its zero outside, and the thermostat inside reads 70. The heating system is hot water. In-floor or baseboard, it doesnt matter. If I take a sample of the air, whats the temperature of that air going to read?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            Hypothetical situation. Its zero outside, and the thermostat inside reads 70. The heating system is hot water. In-floor or baseboard, it doesnt matter. If I take a sample of the air, whats the temperature of that air going to read?

Andy
            70 right?

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
              70 right?
              That would be my answer too, but the hot water guys might have a different answer. If the hot water guys did answer 70, my next question would be: How can that air sample be 70 degrees when it isnt getting heated directly or indirectly?

Andy

Comment

the thermostat measures the air temperature, not the temp of the water in the baseboard which should be about 180. Just like the air coming out of the ducts isnt going to be 70 degrees, it is going to be hotter right?

Comment

I tried cooking a hamburger in the microwave one time, it just dried out the meat. It did cook it though. The best way IMO is on the grill. Something about that type of heat.

Comment

That would be my answer too, but the hot water guys might have a different answer. If the hot water guys did answer 70, my next question would be: How can that air sample be 70 degrees when it isnt getting heated directly or indirectly?

Andy
                    I do hydronic.
                    I don't agree with MP's statement about radiant only warming solids. (I suspect he meant it in variation, not completely)
                    I mentioned three forms of heat transfer for a reason, a warm object WILL warm the air around it, it will also warm solids in contact with it, it will also radiate heat (which does transfer heat to other solids as well as the air around it).

Comment

Andy
                      Andy, your question is flawed when you say that it doesn't matter wheather it's baseboard or radiant.

Again, radiant in floor does not heat air it heats objects. Secondly baseboard (fin tube or cast iron) and cast iron rads do heat the air, not the objects.

Case in point, in a radiant system the thermostat IS AN OBJECT IN THE ROOM so it will reflect the amount of heat in the room, as well as any thermometer. If you use a laser type thermometer you will be taking the temperature of the surface that the laser is hitting, if its a mercury thermometer that thermometer is an object in the room that is being heated.

Dont take my word for it, when you have a chance go pick up Dan Holohans book on radiant or anyone elses for that matter. I am not pulling this stuff out of the air

Comment

MP, I gotta disagree...though radiation does warm objects, a warm object will warm the air in contact with it as well.

T-stats have covers, the air around it is what controls it's temperature.

Comment

http://www.slantfin.com/terratherma/aboutus.html

http://www.pexheat.com/hydronic.htm

http://www.nationalradiant.com/

http://www.wattsradiant.com/homeowner/heattransfer.asp

http://www.uponor-usa.com/Header/Sys...-it-works.aspx
                          Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-25-2008, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
                            MP, I gotta disagree...though radiation does warm objects, a warm object will warm the air in contact with it as well.

T-stats have covers, the air around it is what controls it's temperature.
                            Tell me why on a cold day if you stand in a sunny spot you feel warmer? Is the air warmer in that spot?????? Or maybe the sun (the biggest source of radiant heat) is warming your body but not the air around you? Things that make you go HMMMMM.

Comment

Question in case I missed it. If radiant heats objects as has been said, then is the air still 30 degrees and people are comfortable?

J.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
                                Andy, your question is flawed when you say that it doesn't matter wheather it's baseboard or radiant.
                                Ok, let me refine it then. In an in-floor system if the indoor thermostat is reading 70 degrees and its zero outside, what temperature will an air sample show?

Again, radiant in floor does not heat air it heats objects.
                                This part we agree on, kinda. The air in contact with the floor will be heated. Also, the heated objects will heat the air around them. This is why I say the air is heated indirectly.

Secondly baseboard (fin tube or cast iron) and cast iron rads do heat the air, not the objects.
                                I guess this is a new one to me.

Case in point, in a radiant system the thermostat IS AN OBJECT IN THE ROOM so it will reflect the amount of heat in the room, as well as any thermometer. If you use a laser type thermometer you will be taking the temperature of the surface that the laser is hitting, if its a mercury thermometer that thermometer is an object in the room that is being heated.
                                This is exactly true. We totally agree here, but this has nothing to do with my question. My question related to an air sample, which you say is not being heated.

Speaking of hot air, theres alot in here, eh?

Andy

Comment

Working...
                                X