Hydronic Baseboard Heat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hydronic Baseboard Heat

You need to invest in a book on radiant heat. I guess I can not explain myself well enough on the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
      This is exactly true. We totally agree here, but this has nothing to do with my question. My question related to an air sample, which you say is not being heated.

Andy

It has everything to do with your question. Why if you feel warmer standing in the sun is the air around you not warmer? Im done.

Comment

Originally posted by Masterplumb View Post
        It has everything to do with your question. Why if you feel warmer standing in the sun is the air around you not warmer? Im done.
        You're missing the whole point in your own question, JC asked it...
        How does air get warm?

I fully understand your point on radiation, but thats only one form of heat transfer.
        If radiant/hydronic heat only heated solids in a room, we'd freeze our gonads off and have warm floors & walls.

There are three forms of heat transfer that are active in every system.

Radiant is much more predominent in hydronic, but convection & conduction still occurs, it has to...otherwize it wouldn't heat the air.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          Question in case I missed it. If radiant heats objects as has been said, then is the air still 30 degrees and people are comfortable?

J.C.
          I hate to quote myself & I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but this is interesting to me. So can anyone answer the question?

J.C.

Comment

Because you are an object in the room, YOU are being heated. Let me try this a different way as I am in no way a teacher and sometimes have a hard time explaining my thoughts.

The reason you feel cold in the first place is because of the basic principal that hot goes to cold ALWAYS. You are losing body heat to the colder objects in the room, one example of this is if you have ever stood in front of a single pane window on a cold day outside, your body suddenly feels cold, right? Now if you take a thermometer the temperature is not any different there, the reason you feel cold is because you are losing body heat to that "cold" window, again because hot goes to cold.

The whole idea behind radiant heat is to "replace" the btu's your body is losing nothing more.

I guess if you dont understand what Im saying it is because 1) I am not explaining myself correctly and 2) you do not understand the basic principle that hot goes to cold.

Please, dont take my word on this do a little reading and you will understand what I am saying better.
            Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-25-2008, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post
              You're missing the whole point in your own question, JC asked it...
              How does air get warm?

The air doesnt get warm. The objects in the room do.

I fully understand your point on radiation, but thats only one form of heat transfer.
              If radiant/hydronic heat only heated solids in a room, we'd freeze our gonads off and have warm floors & walls.

NO absolutely not. You are an object in the room. You are being heated.

There are three forms of heat transfer that are active in every system.

NO. There is no conduction or convection in a hydronic radiant system. This is a very basic principle of how a radiant system works

Radiant is much more predominent in hydronic, but convection & conduction still occurs, it has to...otherwize it wouldn't heat the air.

You just answered your own question. It DOESNT heat the air. Again a very basic principle in radiant heat. Duck please spend the money and read Dan Holohans book on Radiant heat, especially if you are going to install it

Comment

Thanks for trying to explain. I kinda' understand what your saying about the body losing heat. But do you understand my question? If radiant only heats objects then the air cannot get warm or the air is not warm. At least in my brain.

I'm IN NO WAY an HVAC contractor. I'll maybe check on some of the books you recommend.

Thanks for all replies. Agree or not with each other, it gets you thinking.

J.C.

Comment

Try this for a basic idea on what im saying.

ENJOY THE INCOMPARABLE WARMTH AND
                  COMFORT OF SLANT/FIN HYDRONIC
                  RADIANT HEATING.
                  The new wave of modern heating in North America.
                  Proven for decades in Europe.

How Radiant Heating Works
                  Use of radiant heating is spreading rapidly across the world because it’s clean, quiet, efficient, dependable, and invisible.
                  Although it can be used to heat walls or ceilings, Slant/Fin radiant tubing is usually installed beneath the surface of your floor. Your heating contractor can install tubing in poured concrete sub-floors, structural concrete slabs, the underside of subfloors, or into panels above these floors.

Radiant heating systems circulate warm water through continuous loops of Slant/Fin tubing. The tubing system transfers the heat into the floor and upward into virtually any surface including carpeting, hardwood, parquet, quarry and ceramic tile, vinyl flooring, or concrete. The floor surface becomes radiant with warmth. You feel warm all over as heat gently radiates to your body surface like sunshine. It's the ultimate in draft-free heating comfort.

Why Radiant Heating is Better

Slant/Fin radiant heating does not heat air and blow it around. It directly heats people and objects in the room for maximum comfort at significantly lower cost!

Better comfort: Radiant heating warms you evenly from head to toe. No cold feet. No blowers, drafts or sense of chilliness in different parts of the room.

Lower fuel costs: You can save 30% or more compared to hot air systems which lose heat in ductwork and which allow heated air to rise to the ceiling where it’s not needed.

Cleaner, healthier heat: Dust, dirt, pollen and germs are not blown throughout the home. There are no vents or registers to collect dust and dirt.
                  Better heat distribution than hot air systems. With a forced-air system, heat is uneven, much of it collects at the ceiling. The radiant system gently heats body surfaces and objects without wastefully heating air that rises to the ceiling. You’ll be comfortable at a lower thermostat setting while reducing your heating costs.

Room by room comfort: Unlike hot air systems that are difficult to zone, a Slant/Fin radiant heating system can be zoned any way you like! This means that you only heat the areas you want to heat, to whatever temperature you wish.

Quiet: No noisy air ducts or blower fans cycling on and off.

Wider Coverage: Ideal for wide or open areas which may not be fully served by baseboard heating.

Better decorating freedom: With Slant/Fin radiant heating there are no restrictions to locating furniture or drapes. You don’t need to worry about blocked air vents or hot surface temperatures.
                  Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-25-2008, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for trying to explain. I kinda' understand what your saying about the body losing heat. But do you understand my question? If radiant only heats objects then the air cannot get warm or the air is not warm. At least in my brain.
                    Two things come to mind:
                    (1) I think the air should get warmed by radiation as well because after all the radiation doesn't magically know that air isn't an object and you are, both are made up of molecules. The air getting warmed by the radiation probably matters less than you getting warmed though.
                    (2) If you heat only the object, then it becomes hotter than the air. Because heat moves from high temperatures to low temperature, the object will warm the cooler air by conduction.

Comment

And this type that you have pictured will run on a typical gas water heater, correct? Provided it's sized correctly.

J.C.

Comment

What is radiant heat?

Radiant heat enhances comfort because radiant systems warm the floor and the objects in the room. This prevents your body from losing heat to cold objects in the room. This is due to the scientific fact that heat energy is always drawn to cold objects. When we stand on a cold floor or next to a cold wall, we feel cold. This has nothing to do with the air temperature and everything to do with the fact that heat is being lost from our bodies to warm up the cold objects around us. This heat loss is controlled with radiant heating.
                        Last edited by Masterplumb; 09-25-2008, 10:26 PM.

Comment

And this type that you have pictured will run on a typical gas water heater, correct? Provided it's sized correctly.

J.C.
                          I would use a boiler and not a heater, but I guess ultimitely it would work with a water heater. I would imagine any efficiency gain with radiant is lost by its use of a standard w/h though.

Comment

Thanks MP. I'm understanding what you're saying. As a lamen all I think of is air temperature and controlling it. Might head to the library soon.

J.C.

Comment

Guys, MP...I'm sorry...laws of physics dictates that a warm mass next to a cold mass will transfer it's heat via convection or conduction....as well as radiation.
                              This is why water freezes in your freezer, this is why a rock under your crawlspace isn't 32 degree's in mid july despite no direct contact with sunlight.

Baseboard & radiant heat will heat the air that comes in contact with it, radiant does it through indirect contact through the floor, radiation is ONLY one form of heat transfer that occurs.

This is completely evident when you put your hand over a radiator, less evident on radiant as it isn't as hot, but trust me...the air is heated.

Comment

Seems that way to me too Duck. Gotta' get me some books.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
                                X