X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiler Work

As most of you know, I manage the Pressing Tools at RIDGID. I'm always hearing that folks want 1-1/4" Jaws to do boiler work with. Can someone explain to me why this is an important size? What would the additional 1-1/4" jaw allow you to do that you can't do now? Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks for your help!

Re: Boiler Work

1-1/4" is a very common size of the tappings on a hot water boiler. Also 1-1/2" & 2" is also common but 1-1/4 is most of the sizes I come across on residential boilers.

Comment

Exactly what MP said, the inlet/outlet taps on most residential boilers are 1-1/4"...we wind up making the steel manifolds the same diameter then branch off in 3/4" to adapt to the more expensive copper.

Comment

Same here

Comment

But why the need for 1-1/4" copper? We used to run to the manifld in iron , then off of there we would go to copper, all of it was 3/4" sweat.

Comment

What if its only one zone and the main(s) are bigger then 3/4 as many if not most of replacement boilers are?

Comment

Still Iron, I was taught to run Iron to the FlowChecks or Cirulators after that copper. I just thought that there already was 1-1/4" jaws for Pro-Press

Comment

I agree. I always manifold with iron if there is more then 1 zone. If there is only one zone though I will just use copper.

Comment

I was beginning to think something was wrong with me I catch so much grief from everyone at work because I pipe every boiler with iron. Now I see there are others just like me.

The new swivel jaws for 1-1/4" ProPress that fit on the 100B might just get me to buy a kit

I like the idea of ProPress on boiler replacements. Beats waiting an hour for the mains to stop dripping so you can solder.
                  Last edited by plumberscrack; 09-26-2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

GREAT info guys! Thanks. Indeed we do have the 1-1/4" rings right now that will do the job, but we do not yet have an 1-1/4" ProPress Jaw. Perhaps in time for Christmas...? I'm sure they'll make great stocking stuffers!

Comment

Copper manifolds are only necessary on aluminum or steel exchangers..found on high end condensing boilers.

With the current price on those boilers, I just don't see an overwhelming demand for the mainstream.

Comment

Working...
                      X