Hybrid Systems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Systems

What are the advantages of Hybrid HVAC systems? Becoming more popular in this area and was curious about them.

J.C.

Re: Hybrid Systems

First off - what IS a hybrid HVAC system out of curiousity?

Comment

I'm assuming you mean combo wood/pellet burner, gas or oil backup.

Comment

Here, my hackjob competitors have adopted the "Hybrid" term to describe a dual fuel system. (air to air heat pump with gas backup) Their commercials talk about these huge savings but fail to mention the customer 'might' recoup the cost difference by the time the unit needs replacing.

The only dual fuel system I have installed is at my parents house which is 8 hours south and considerably warmer.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post
          What are the advantages of Hybrid HVAC systems? Becoming more popular in this area and was curious about them.

J.C.
          Do you mean Hydro air systems, where water from a boiler goes though the heat exchanger? If so the advantage is that you can have hot water heat and AC too without having to run both naseboard and ductwork. I would imagine that they cost about the same I never did any AC nor can I tell you what the heat exchangers run. Possibly someone else can though!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
            Here, my hackjob competitors have adopted the "Hybrid" term to describe a dual fuel system. (air to air heat pump with gas backup) Their commercials talk about these huge savings but fail to mention the customer 'might' recoup the cost difference by the time the unit needs replacing.

The only dual fuel system I have installed is at my parents house which is 8 hours south and considerably warmer.

Andy
            Ruudy nailed it I think. I've seen this going in on a couple of residential jobs and installers act like their great. Maybe marketers like attaching the word "Hybrid" to everything.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

I had a duel fuel system installed and love it. I have a 2 story house with 2 heatpumps and 2 gas furnaces as backups. I only had gas before. The price wasn't much different than going with straight electric or with an a/c unit and gas furnace, but my utility bills are lower than before, both winter and summer.

Comment

Originally posted by JCsPlumbing View Post

J.C.
                Hi JC,

We are coupling hybrid heat pumps with solar Pv. Makes all the sense in the world in our area... essentially solar powered heat & AC
                spodelee

Until lions have their own storytellers, stories of the hunt shall always glorify the hunter

Comment

Working...
                X