Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to upgrade Honeywell Thermostat

I have a Honeywell 8401C1007.

The installation manual can be found here.

When I pull the unit off of the wall, I have the following wires from top to bottom:

W white
    Y yellow
    G green
    R red
    C this wire is actually blue

I would like to upgrade to the Honeywell touch screen 8110U.

The installation manual can be found here.

On page 4 of the PDF I assume I would wire it using the 1H/1C System (1 Transformer) where I would keep the jumper installed.

The installer setup begins on page 6. I think it is pretty intuitive expect for on page 7.

What is "Change over valve (O/B terminal)"? The default is O/B terminal control valves in cooling. The other setting is the same but in heating.

Any recommendations on how I would set this up?

Thanks ...

Re: Would like to upgrade Honeywell Thermostat

The changeover valve is for an air to air heat pump. If you choose 1h/1c in the installer setup, you wont even be prompted to choose settings for the changeover valve. It will bypass it. I assume you dont have a heatpump, just a gas furnace?

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Ruudacguy View Post
      The changeover valve is for an air to air heat pump. If you choose 1h/1c in the installer setup, you wont even be prompted to choose settings for the changeover valve. It will bypass it. I assume you dont have a heatpump, just a gas furnace?

Andy
      Correct.

I just have a natural gas furnace and an a/c unit.

Okay, that is cool, I did not know that I would only be prompted for what is applicable. That should simplify the setup considerably.

Any other tips that you can think of I should be concerned with?

Comment

Originally posted by theoak View Post
        Correct.

I just have a natural gas furnace and an a/c unit.

Okay, that is cool, I did not know that I would only be prompted for what is applicable. That should simplify the setup considerably.

Any other tips that you can think of I should be concerned with?
        If you have separate heat/A/C then the RC/RH aren't tied together. Off the top of my head (remember I'm a computer geek not an HVAC tech), I think the way the thermostat works is that for AC, I think it connects the RC to the G for the fan and RC to Y for the compressor. For heat, I think it connects RH to W. If you have a combined unit, there is no difference between RC and RH.

Comment

I am not an HVAC guy so I am probably using the wrong terminology.

The A/C unit and the furnace are not necessarily independent units. I have my natural gas furnace that connects to my "blower". My A/C unit connects to my blower too. During the year I set my thermostat to "heat" or "cool" accordingly.

So I have the furnace in my garage, and my A/C unit sitting outside of the garage, but they are "integrated".

Not sure if this makes this more confusing or not ...

Comment

99.9% of the systems will use the RC RH jumper. The only time you would remove the jumper is for 2 transformer systems. This is where the condensing unit has its own 24v transformer.

How much are you paying for the VisionPro8000? About the only other thing I could recommend would be upgrading to an IAQ, if theres a potential need for it.

Andy

Comment

$105 with Fed Ex ground shipping.

The house was built in 99. I have a real basic setup. No UV or other zapping stuff. Just heat and cold. The furnace I believe is 80%, not the 90%+ systems you get now.

The main think attracting me to this thermostat is the fan cycling mode. I have a two floor house with the thermostat upstairs. The end result is the upstairs is warmer than the cold all year round. It would be nice to have the fan kick on a few times an hour, without kicking in the heat or cold to circulate the air around making, at least in theory ( ), the whole house more comfortable.

The programmability is also nice. My wife is home all day, so it would be nice to have a day mode and a night mode versus me having to remember to tap the thermostat before I go to bed and when I wake up. It would be nice to have a warm house to wake up to too

Edit:

The only reason why I would need an IAQ is if I had a fancy wiz-bang heating/cooling setup, which I don't. When this guy gives up the ghost, maybe then, until then, if I can add a little electronics to make my simple system even better, while saving me a buck or two in the process ... I'm game.
              Last edited by theoak; 10-21-2008, 11:47 AM.

Comment

$105 is fair enough. I like the IAQ's cause they can do remote indoor/outdoor sensors and humidity controls/display. Another good feature is you only need 3 conductor between the stat and EIM. This works out real good in homes where a 3 or 4 wire is currently in place, but would need 6 or 7 conductor to operate the equipment properly, and where the basement is finished making is impossible to pull a new wire. Youre in luck though, 5 conductor is all you need for 1 heat 1 cool and a common to power the backlight!

Andy

Comment

From what I have been able to read, the VisionPro 8000 will support an outside sensor. I have read people doing that with success. For fun, if I need a project, I may do that one day. Otherwise, I don't need all that other stuff unless my A/C/furnace dies on me and the new unit I get has it.

Until then, the 8110 should be all I need. It supports the 1H/1C setup, which is what I have. There is no reason to get the 3H/2C models (8320/8321) because I don't need it, so I may as well save the money.

You have been a big help ... thanks.

Edit:

The VisionPro 8000 series (8110/8320/8321) also got great reviews from people on Amazon. Sometimes you need to take those reviews with a grain of salt, but when you have 30+ favorable ones, it certainly can add weight to the validity of the product and its features.

If my current thermostat was programmable with at least a day and night mode, I probably would not even be looking. I saw some Home Depot and Lowes thermostats and almost picked up one of those ... in Googling though I discovered the fan circulating mode of some thermostats and the favorable reviews of the fan circulating feature itself. That eventually let me to the 8110.
                  Last edited by theoak; 10-23-2008, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I my Visonpro 8110

One thing to remember if you get it is that the AUTO function (Autoswitching between Heat Cool) is not enabled by default for some mysterious reason you have to go into the installer menue to enable it...

The vent option is nice also

Okie

Comment

Could I:

1. Insert batteries into thermostat.
                      2. Setup thermostat.
                      3. Turn off power to furnace.
                      4. Install wires to new thermostat base.
                      5. Install thermostat to base.

So basically my question is for the initial setup does it need to be connected to the furnace, or can I do the "armchair" feature, set up the thermostat first, and then once all the wires are hooked up mount the thermostat to its base and away it goes?

Make sense?

Thanks ...

Comment

That will work just fine.

Andy

Comment

You should be able to arm chair it...

Comment

Just did the swap.

Pretty painless ...

It was a little quirky to program sometimes. For example, for 6 days of the week I only had 2 modes, a wake and a night. However, for one day only I had a wake, leave, return, and night. Sometimes in setting the just the 2 modes common for all the days, the other 2 would get wiped out on the one day. Real easy to program otherwise ...

Comment

I think that seems like a good guide on how to upgrade a Honeywell thermostats...

Comment

Working...
                              X