No announcement yet.

How to check airflow from heat ducts?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to check airflow from heat ducts?

Originally posted by Florida John View Post
    Try leaving your bedroom open and see if that makes a difference. If it does, trim about a half to three quarters of an inch off the bottom of your bedroom door.
    Ah yes, the old mobile home solution.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      KHE

I have the same kind of problem in my house. The master bedroom is farthest from the air handler - furnace. To help solve this, I partly blocked air flow from registers in warmer rooms. In the master bedroom only for testing I removed the register and return grill. This has helped things. I found that by replacing the register with a better and less restrictive type where I can have a wide angle and downward air sweep that helped. I also installed a new return grill with farther spaced slats to reduce restriction and noise.

Just for a day or two you might try removing the register and return grills. (watch the return duct that things don't get sucked into it.) As for choking down the system, try a little blocking off air flow from the supply registers in warm rooms, but please don't get carried away. The furnace needs to run at close to the design total air flow.

If you have a smallish oscillating (sweeps left - right) pedestal fan try placing it high up (near ceiling) in the room in a spot known to be warm, run it on low speed and aim it downward and toward a known cold spot in the room.
      i consider this post gtg

Comment

assuming all the ducting is the proper size try to cut a little bit of air off in the room or area were the thermostat is located. thus letting the thunit run longer. But if the room can not retain the heat it will not maintain the heat. (Poor insulation or air leaks)

Comment

Working...
        X