Honeywell 8321 stat wiring question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honeywell 8321 stat wiring question

I am a contractor who has gotten in over his head on my home heat system. I have had a spacepak airhandler with hot water heat exchanger installed by my A/C guy who has recently gone out of business and has moved.

I had my plumber install two Taco circulaters on my existing oil fired furnace, and disconnected the hot water radiators in the house.

I am trying to install a thermastat to control the system. I bought a Honeywell 8321 thermastat at the local HVAC supply house and am trying to install.

I do not have a condenser installed yet as it is now cold. I plan to install it in the spring.

I have installed the thermastat and in test mode I can get the fan to operate in test 2. In test mode three the fan does not blow, but the circulator pumps hot water to the unit.

In setup I have code 0170 set to #4 (heat with fan).

When I hit done and increase room temp, the circulator pumps hot water but the fan does not blow.

What am I missing?

Re: Honeywell 8321 stat wiring question

First double check you have wired it correctly

Then go through your setup options from the beginning and don't forget to press SAVE after each setting

Pay close attention to the wiring guide. You are using 2 tranformers (one for the Spacepak and one on the oil boiler) so you have to remove the jumper between RC and R

The Common connect MUST come from the cooling transformer (I suspect this is where your problem lies)

Advanced settings 0170 should be set to #1 (1 heat/1 cool) even though you don't have a condensor installed yet

Check 0180 settings also. Try both of these settings to see which one works.

When you are all done, be patient. The Spacepak may have up to a 5 minute timer delay.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1896EF.pdf
    Last edited by plumberscrack; 11-01-2008, 07:23 AM. Reason: added PDF

Comment

I have a five wire from the air handler to the thermastat. I have a two wire from the circulator to the thermastat.

From the air handler I have:

red to Rc
      green to G

From the circulator :
      red to Rc
      white to W

Jumper is in place.

0170 is set to 4
      I switched 0180 to 1 and the system works.

I would be very happy to hear how it should be wired and set up.

Thanks for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        First double check you have wired it correctly

Then go through your setup options from the beginning and don't forget to press SAVE after each setting

Pay close attention to the wiring guide. You are using 2 tranformers (one for the Spacepak and one on the oil boiler) so you have to remove the jumper between RC and R

The Common connect MUST come from the cooling transformer (I suspect this is where your problem lies)

Advanced settings 0170 should be set to #1 (1 heat/1 cool) even though you don't have a condensor installed yet

Check 0180 settings also. Try both of these settings to see which one works.

When you are all done, be patient. The Spacepak may have up to a 5 minute timer delay.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techli.../69-1896EF.pdf
        Did you even read my post?

What terminals are the other 3 wires from the air handler connected to?

No way anyone can help you if we don't know what wires are connected at the air handler

You might be close to getting heat or close to frying your control board

Have a pro take care of it

The right guy can knock it out in 20 minutes

Why 2 circulators installed if you have done away with cast iron rads

Comment

I have two identical systems, one in the attic, one in the basement. Therefor two circulators.

The thermastat wiring at the units was completed by the HVAC guy on both units.

Red to R
          Green to G
          White to W
          Blue to C

connections at thermastat remain the same.

Comment

hmmm.... One thermostat controlling 2 fan coils?

Okay, I'm out

Good luck

Comment

Working...
            X