Lower humidity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower humidity

Got a customer who has a small garage in the backyard which is about 1300 cu sq ft(8x20x8). They have a 2 ton window unit which cools great but it's extremely humid in there. By my calculations they need a 9000 btu unit. They want me to make this work and don't want me to change the unit out(don't ask why). I'm thinking I have a couple options:

-Show them why they need a smaller unit which I have but they're hard headed so this the best option but it's not happening.
    -plan B is to block off the airflow of the supply causing the air to stay in contact with the evap longer therefore lowering the humidity.
    -install a variable speed fan but this is definently not happening.

I know plan b will take some expermenting because if I block off to much airflow the evap will freeze but this I'm interested in trying this out just to see if I could do it. Anyone else got any ideas?
    Buy cheap, buy twice.

Re: Lower humidity

I doubt you could restrict air flow enough to get the desired effect without freezing the coil.
    sigpic

Comment

Can you get anything out of the 2 ton unit if you replace it (does it have any value that might offset the cost of a new unit)?

What about adding a stand-alone dehumidifier in addition to the existing unit. Not as neat a solution but it should work.

One size doesn't fit all as you know, you just got to make them believe the numbers and laws of physics.

Plan A I think is the best path.
      Plan B is nothing but trouble down the road plus the cost to implement it.
      Plan C would probably end up costing as much in parts & labor as installing a new unit.
      "It's a table saw, do you know where your fingers are?" Bob D. 2006

https://www.youtube.com/user/PowerToolInstitute

Comment

Are they wanting to lower the humidity in their garage at this time? If yes, I hope they have heat in there and a free standing LOW TEMP dehumidifier is about the only thing that won't freeze up. If you're talking about in the summer the free standing dehumidifier would be the lowest cost and clean way of getting the job done other than maybe giving them a trade-in deal on their current oversize AC toward a new lower capacity model.

If they are the kind that expects to do all of this for say $100 then you might be wise to walk away and say you give up.

I don't know if these are any good or not but this may give you an idea. These are intended for cool basements.
        Whirlpool Low Temp Dehumidifier down to 40F - http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...&productId=614

This one is for semi low temp use down to 55F - http://www.whirlpool.com/catalog/pro...&productId=607
        Last edited by Woussko; 11-02-2008, 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling goofs

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
          I doubt you could restrict air flow enough to get the desired effect without freezing the coil.
          I was thinking about this too but upon further thought, I don't think the evap would freeze because I'm not blocking the return. Just the supply. Is this right or am I thrown off?

I thought about the dehumidifier also but never investigated it because I had no idea how much they cost. Thanks Bob and Woussko.
          Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

I've found that window units arn't great at removing humidity anyway. Any modifications you make will likely have it performing outside manufacturers specs, so be perpared for a locked compressor before long.

Most people like to have the window units fan set to high because it cools faster but thats not what you want. Have them use the low fan speed if it has one. Takes longer to cool but more comfortable than being a wet clam.

Adding dehumidifier is the best option. Some can be noisey though.

Comment

You could try adding some ductwork to the unit, Junkie. You will get some static and dynamic losses which will reduce the total capacity, and spread the air out more creating more air movement thus reducing humidity. Or, get a couple fans. Maybe freestanding fans in a couple corners, or ceiling fans. Thats all I got.

Andy

Comment

There are a couple of things you could do if you are trying to avoid replacing the existing unit ( which is huge for 160 sq. ft):
                1) Run on low speed only.
                2) Set the temp dial a little more towards warm
                3) If the unit has an option swicth to have the fan run continuous, even when the compressor clicks off....select that option.

Comment

You will need to convince them that the unit is too big, it will cost them more to run the bigger unit because it will be short cycling and not being as efficient as the smaller unit "Bigger is not always better"
                  If you slow the unit down you will asking for trouble down the road
                  Plus EPA says if you modify it you could be liable for any and all damages
                  So be careful

Comment

Whats up gear, I been out of pocket for a while now with a lot going on.

To be short and to the point, you are fighting a loosing cause. I personally think you need to walk away from this one.

In the end, there is nothing you can do with that unit to accomplish what the homeowner wants. If they are set on keeping it, I would walk away.

Regards and I hope all is well with you and the family.

Comment

Working...
                    X