X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polaris Questions

Anyone have experience with Polaris water heater & heat systems?

I am not an HVAC person at all. While I was repairing something unrelated they asked me about their Polaris 50 gallon/100,000btu model. The coil-air handler(?) states 140degrees with 45,000btu input on it. They have about 2,000 sq. ft. to heat. The owners claim it does not put out much air/heat at all, works "hard", and overall just underperforms.

Once again I know little about HVAC calculations. I had them turn up the thermostat and put my hand on the bottom (inlet) pipe and felt it go hot within about 10 seconds. So I assume it's heating the water & circulating correctly.

I made a guess that the perhaps the coil-air handler was undersized.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

J.C.

Re: Polaris Questions

Man, JC. I opened this thread thinking we were going to talk about snowmobiles.

I cant really say about the load calcs without a ton of info. A unit can be slightly undersized and keep up during mild/moderate weather, but will run continuous and lose temp during extreme conditions. If its running alot during mild/moderate weather, Id think it was drastically undersized, or there is a problem with the operation of the unit.

Andy

Comment

I'm not familiar with the American Water Heater/Polaris unit but it sounds alot like the Lennox Complete Heat System. Which should be called the Lennox Complete Piece of Crap. High efficiency water heater coupled with a forced air unit.

Nice idea in theory but had some flaws. Heating domestic water at temps reaching 200 degrees to send through the fan coil will produce huge amounts of lime deposits that need to be addressed on a regular basis. Lime will keep the coil from delivering the needed heat to the air. 140 degrees doesn't sound hot enough for a fan coil.

The water going to the fan coil will be extremely hot but the return water temp should be about 30 degrees less. If both temps roughly the same the coil needs deliming. Of course it could be something simple like the air filter needs to be replaced.

Comment

So I'm assuming everything goes through a heat exchanger right, or are they circulating potable water through the air handler from the Polaris?

Also - what size pipe runs to the air handler? 3/4" or 1" ? Is there a globe valve on the supply or return to the air handler?

Comment

Originally posted by Scott K View Post
          So I'm assuming everything goes through a heat exchanger right, or are they circulating potable water through the air handler from the Polaris?

Also - what size pipe runs to the air handler? 3/4" or 1" ? Is there a globe valve on the supply or return to the air handler?
          I'm not sure. I don't know if a Polaris (or the model they have) has an inner coil separated from the potable water submerged in the tank or not. I'm not an HVAC person but I don't see anything exterior that's a heat exchanger from the inlet all the way to the coil/air handler. Then back to the heater. Only a distance of about 15' and both the incoming and return lines are insulated. The incoming line becomes hot (I pulled the insulation back and felt it myself) about 10 seconds after the thermostat calls for the heat cycle.

Thanks.

J.C.

Comment

Working...
          X