Tappan 80+ Furnace Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappan 80+ Furnace Issue

I have a 2 year old Tappan 80+ Upflow furnace and it will not fire up today. Now as there is no pilot, I can not get the thing to fire...

Now there is a call for heat as the furnace is trying to kick on, so I'm assuming it's not the Thermostat.

Any ideas out there? Are the igniters known to blow after only 2 years of use?
    Thanks
    Last edited by BKets; 11-19-2008, 01:27 PM.

Re: Tappan 80+ Furnace Issue

hi BKets,

i see by your personal information that your in publishing.

are you also a gasfitter?

Vince

this is for your own safety and my piece of frozen brain matter

Comment

No... Just trying to keep warm. Do you know anything about furnaces?

Comment

Remove the cover and 4 schlag pins that hold the framus clip. Inspect the blue wire that leads to the canaborator for signs of wear and cracking. If they are in good condition then disassemble the secondary burner assembly paying special care not to disturb the primary assembly in the process. When the unit is apart you will be able to reach into the secondary combustion chamber and feel a watson clip that holds the primary air separator valve. Remove the clip and the valve in one piece. Inspect the valve by removing 6 small metric screws on the bottom cover. Watch for 3 small springs that will fall out of the valve assembly if it is not turned upright before the last screw is removed. The springs are all different and go in specific loctions so be very carefull not to cross them up. Now remove the plate covering the thermo-couple peizo assembly and lastly the piezo assembly itself. With the assembly in hand set your multi meter to milli-volts and check for voltage across the white and yellow wires. You shoud get a reading of .00202 milli volts. If not replace the assembly. If you don't have a multi meter that reads milli volts you can take a standard one set at 10V and put a bit of crumpled aluminum foil between one of the leads and the pieze. Best of luck.
        sigpic

Comment

you had me right up until crumpled aluminum

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
            Remove the cover and 4 schlag pins that hold the framus clip. Inspect the blue wire that leads to the canaborator for signs of wear and cracking. If they are in good condition then disassemble the secondary burner assembly paying special care not to disturb the primary assembly in the process. When the unit is apart you will be able to reach into the secondary combustion chamber and feel a watson clip that holds the primary air separator valve. Remove the clip and the valve in one piece. Inspect the valve by removing 6 small metric screws on the bottom cover. Watch for 3 small springs that will fall out of the valve assembly if it is not turned upright before the last screw is removed. The springs are all different and go in specific loctions so be very carefull not to cross them up. Now remove the plate covering the thermo-couple peizo assembly and lastly the piezo assembly itself. With the assembly in hand set your multi meter to milli-volts and check for voltage across the white and yellow wires. You shoud get a reading of .00202 milli volts. If not replace the assembly. If you don't have a multi meter that reads milli volts you can take a standard one set at 10V and put a bit of crumpled aluminum foil between one of the leads and the pieze. Best of luck.

Haha Awesome.....I can't belive you know them that well.....I feel like i could fix this thing myself now!!
            Last edited by BrandonG; 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM. Reason: schlag pins Awesome!!!!

Comment

read the flashing trouble shooting lite on the board

Comment

my bet Ignitor or pressure switch more to ignitor

Comment

Working...
                X