X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the bump start

has anybody ever had a lot of problems trying to get a HWH system to circulate after getting the heat back on?

up here we have to use a 50/50 mixture to glycol and water in case the building loses the heat. for obvious reasons this is to prevent freezing/splitting the heating lines.

even though the mixture isn't frozen, the water/glycol mixture becomes so dense that the circ pump can't move it. i'm sure the same can be said about water that is just starting to crystalize.

i found out by accident one time that if there is a hose bibb/drain in the middle of the heating zone, one can bump start the loop by opening and closing the valve quickly. this uses the momentum/weight of the mixture to start circulating.

just a thought.

Vince

did you know that you can use a hair comb/pick to straighten aluminum heating fins?

Re: the bump start

Vince

Other than for using electric engine block heaters, how do you keep engine coolant mixtures from freezing or almost freezing?

A 50/50 mixture of anti freeze - coolant like Prestone at -20F (-29C) is not going to flow until warmed up carefully. It shouldn't freeze hard but you can't just start up the engine and let it run if it's that cold.

Thanks for the info on HWH systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      Vince

Other than for using electric engine block heaters, how do you keep engine coolant mixtures from freezing or almost freezing?

A 50/50 mixture of anti freeze - coolant like Prestone at -20F (-29C) is not going to flow until warmed up carefully. It shouldn't freeze hard but you can't just start up the engine and let it run if it's that cold.

Thanks for the info on HWH systems.
      i'm not up to date on the engine anti-freeze thing. it's been a while since i owned a vehicle you sit inside.

but from what i understand owners use a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze and water. this with the block heater, circ-heater, and battery blanket.

some people opt not to use the circ-heater because of the power comsumption, but you need the other two heaters to start in the morning.

also, synthetic oils have come along way and are the way to go. because we're dust free during the winter, you don't have to change the oil until spring time.

blown power steering hoses are the biggest problem up here. every 2nd vehicle you see looks like it's bleeding. i can only guess that the owners don't know to warm the power steering fluid before driving.

when i owned a ford f150 4x4 back in '90, after i got the engine started in the morning, i would put the transfere case in neutral and the transmissin in drive so the trans fluid could circulate through the transmission and help the bands or clutch (if standard).

if you don't pump your tires up to max, you will go through a set of tires in about 2 years (square tire syndrome) due to cracking the sidewall.

isopropyl alcohol (gasline anti-freeze) doesn't work up here. we use menthal hydrate because it allows the water to mix with the gas so it can burn through the engine and not "collect" in the gas tank and ultimately break the fuel pump and/or freeze in the fuel injectors when the engine is turned off.

most people here don't put their vehicles in a garage for the night because it causes condensation in the gas tank, fuel lines, differential, and crankcase. that practice causes more problems than it's worth and also ends up costing a lot of money.

Vince

here's a couple cold weather hints; fill a spray bottle with pure windshield washer fluid. spray the outside and inside of your vehicle windows before scraping the ice off. it makes for easy ice/frost removal.

spray "pledge" furniture polish on the inside of your windows to prevent/reduce fogging (NHL hockey players do this). of course you have to polish the windows. i don't know why it works, it just does.

Comment

I just discovered spraying pledge on my hockey visor, works way better than the stuff they try to sell your for 20 bucks at the sports store
        West Trail Mechanical Ltd
        Service. Commitment. Expertise.

www.westtrailmechanical.ca

Comment

it could be air locked... you could open a stainer ect. at the end of the system to help get water moving... drain into a bucket and pump it back in later.

Comment

Working...
          X