X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radiant Help Needed?

First let me start out by saying I'm a Cabinetmaker by trade. My father is a commercial plumber in NYC. So we have done ZERO radiant. My first floor has a very open floor plan you can see from one end of the house to another. I would like to install radiant heat in the first floor in the floor. I have access in the basement (unfinished) to the beam bays. I ran four loops of 1/2" oxy-pex each loop is between 250' and 270' . I ended the loops close to the boiler. When this project is complete I will frame in the boiler room. My boiler is a Weil-Mclain Gold CGa 145,000 btu. I currenty have forced hot air heat in piped into my air handler. And with the open floor plan and an open starwell to the second floor it is not the best heat.

So here come the questions?
    I would like to run the radiant as 1 "zone". Because I need the first floor heated somewhat evenly due to the open floor plan. Is that ok?

I would like to use 1 circulator what size Taco would do the trick?
    Thanks
    James

Re: Radiant Help Needed?

yes you can run your first floor as 1 zone and personally i wouldnt use a taco i would use a grundfos with 3 speeds and a integeral check personally.
    also dont forget your mixing valve.. you want your radiant aprox. 80 degrees

Comment

If it's a staple up you're gonna need temps higher than 80. How many total feet of pipe for the zone?
      sigpic

Comment

Yep, need about 100 to 110 degrees with nearly 300' for each loop. Coil in air handler should be over 180 degrees. Need to add a second zone with separate pump and tempering valve for radiant zone. You'll need a high head pump for the radiant. I use the Taco 009 for this application. It's the strong silent type I use the Grudfos UPS15-58 3 speed for just about every other application.

Comment

Guys Thank You Very Much.
          The pipe is run on those c clips with the nail pre-attached to it. I was looking at the Taco 3/4" Mixing valve. And also thinking of adding a Spiro air eliminator. The total pipe length is a about 1000' to 1100' that is broken down to about 250-270 ' per loop. But the pump size was my big concern I just wanted to make sure I did not undersize it.
          thanks
          james

Comment

I always recommend the microbubble resorbers for radiant systems. Air in the system will be the enemy. Same goes for the coil for the air handler. These things only work when properly installed. Long, straight runs before and AFTER the separator.

She's a little pricey but the Taco 3 way I-Series mixing valve is a pretty sweet setup. Gives you the boiler protection for the high mass, low temp zone. The CGA cast iron boiler doesn't like a low temperature return.

With over a thousand feet of 1/2" tubing you are probably looking at a 1" mixing valve not 3/4"

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
              I always recommend the microbubble resorbers for radiant systems. Air in the system will be the enemy. Same goes for the coil for the air handler. These things only work when properly installed. Long, straight runs before and AFTER the separator.

She's a little pricey but the Taco 3 way I-Series mixing valve is a pretty sweet setup. Gives you the boiler protection for the high mass, low temp zone. The CGA cast iron boiler doesn't like a low temperature return.

With over a thousand feet of 1/2" tubing you are probably looking at a 1" mixing valve not 3/4"
              Thank you . Looks like the 1" mixing valve and piping the whole thing in 1" I was also looking at the Taco 0011 circulator a little bit higher GPM would this be ok? Is it overkill? The price is only like $20 more? Are there any advantages to the 011 over the 009 for a few bucks more I would have no problem doing it?
              Last edited by james reichman; 12-20-2008, 04:37 PM.

Comment

The 0011 would be the best pump for the air handler zone due to it's higher GPM's and ability to overcome a high head coil

Remember, higher GPM's are not what you are after with the radiant pump. 4 or 5 GPM's are all you'll need but you'll have to do that through 1000 feet or more of tubing, fittings and mixing valve. The 0011 will work in this application but I feel that it won't hold up in the long run. It will run louder and hotter.

These 2 pumps look the same but have very different performance curves

Comment

I`agree with plumbers` crack did you get reflector plates and insulate good or you will have radiant ceiling in the basement

Comment

I know this is and older thread. But I just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone who replied. For the help and advice. My house nice and ...........WARM

thanks again
                    James

Comment

Working...
                    X