X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace Trouble Shooting - Pilot will not light

My old Nat. Gas Furnace - Gaffers & Sattler model AC125-5 - input BTU 100,000, Bonnet Cap btu 125,000, was going to be replaced but, that is delayed. Maybe I can fix it before I toss it. It has been off for a year. #1 problem - pilot will not light - no gas at the pilot when button is depressed. The supply line is good, it is plugged into AC power. Where do I start testing, cleaning and/or replacing parts?

Thanks,
    BC

Re: Furnace Trouble Shooting - Pilot will not light

Bruce,

I'm not familiar with that furnace but if you are sure that you have gas up to the unit disconnect pilot tubing at gas valve and press button. If you have gas there then the pilot oriface is likely clogged. If not, you need a new gas valve.

Either way you should have a pro check it out. Especially if it has sat idle for so long.

Comment

Thanks for your response. After disconnecting the pilot tube I was able to get gas at the valve. What is propper tube cleaning procedure?

Comment

Originally posted by BGC View Post
        Thanks for your response. After disconnecting the pilot tube I was able to get gas at the valve. What is propper tube cleaning procedure?
        I know you don't want to hear this but call a knowledgeable service technician is the proper thing to do if you have no experience with repairing gas appliances or heating equipment.

One mistake and you won't live to know what you did wrong. Hopefully you won't take anyone else out with you.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Im with PC. Chances are the pilot orifice is plugged.

Andy

Comment

I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the pilot tube. The orifice was plugged. Checked for leaks with the soap bubble method. I now have a working pilot. It appears that the pilot flame is split, going in 2 directions. One goes directly out of the orrifice, the other is 10 degrees to the right to heat the thermocouple. The flame is mostly blue. What could go wrong now? I'll change the filters and start it up on Wednesday.

Comment

I removed, cleaned and reinstalled the pilot tube. The orifice was plugged. Checked for leaks with the soap bubble method. I now have a working pilot. It appears that the pilot flame is split, going in 2 directions. One goes directly out of the orrifice, the other is 10 degrees to the right to heat the thermocouple. The flame is mostly blue. What could go wrong now? I'll change the filters and start it up on Wednesday.

Lots...call a pro and spend a few dollars to be safe

Comment

KABOOM

Vince

hopefully you won't feel it, hire a pro

as far as i know(and i'm really far), other than lighting the pilot you shouldn't be screw'in aound with gas unless your a gasfitter, it could be illegal
                Last edited by Vince the Plumber; 12-24-2008, 09:19 AM.

Comment

What could go wrong now?
                  Now that you have a pilot your furnace is officially dangerous. You now have a signal from the thermocouple telling the gas valve its ok to open up. If theres mulitple burners in this furnace the next thing is the crosslighter. Dirty crosslighters can cause a big boom. Then, if the furnace ignites properly you still need to worry about carbon monoxide from improper combustion.

Andy

Comment

I have a feeling all your well meaning advice is falling on deaf ears. There will always be those guys that think they have the skills necessary to do the job. They are more than willing to put the lives as safety of themselves and their families at risk rather then spend a few dollars.
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X